My first SFFish PC - Soltek Qbic

fubar569

[H]ard|Gawd
finally in its last incarnation after blowing up 3 socket A chips in this thing, 1 BIOS chip, and a multitude of other mishaps...i am very pleased with the end result. would like a more powerful AGP AIW card but wont fuss....broken parts aside i did this system for maybe under 400 bucks.

Soltek Qbic
Socket A based
Athlon XP-M Barton Core 11.5 x 215 = 2.47ghz
1GB Corsair XMS PC3500 DDR (2x512 in dual channel) 2.5-3-3-8 timings
2x 80gb WD 7200RPM HDD's - 1 25GB system partition, 1 25gb data/junk, 2 x 1gb software raid-0 page file, and 2 x 48.5gb software raid-0 installed programs though winXP Pro disk management
Toshiba 16x DVD-ROM (dvd burner coming soon)
ATI AIW 9800 Pro 128mb
Onboard Nvidia sound
PCI Ethernet card (onboard was bad :()

Modified to fit 2 x 92x25mm fans - one is on the left side towards the front of the case and is the intake fan. as such, it blows directly over the RAM and other system components. the 2nd fan is on the right side towards the back of the case. this allows it to grab hot air from the cpu/psu/everything else and spit it right out the side. the fans are Panaflo and flow 68ish cfm at 43dB - my heatsink is a SLK-900A with a 92x25mm panaflow of one notch below the other 2...i believe it is 56cfm at 35dB - the intake and exhaust fans are controlled by speedfan and scaled according to system temperature between 10% and 100% speed.

i do not have 3dmark scores or such yet, but for a budget do it all HTPC/web/email/medium duty gaming/etc this thing flies...long live the mobile barton and AGP!

SiSoft SANDRA Memory scores: 3033 / 2860
Filesystem Benchmark on Pagefile RAID-0 partition: 71MB/s with 12ms RAT
Filesystem Benchmark on Installed Programs RAID-0 partition: 68MB/s with 14ms RAT
Processor ALU - 7908
Processor FPU - 4011

I think thats all the inportant ones...

not bad for an old socket A rig...and the included backpack was a plus too!

pics to come - though it looks exactly like a stock Qbic, but with a fan grill on each side (the fans are internal)...

Athlon XP-M Barton Core 11.5 x 215 = 2.47ghz
QUOTE]
Hehe thats nice :D , has been a while since you saw someone took an interest in
the nforce2 based system. I liked it :) My Asus a7n8x & DFI LanParty NFII Ultra would disagree though :rolleyes:
My main computer nowdays is a o.c:ed xp1700 running on Abits AN7 board, but im going for the c2d, just searching for a good mobo.

pics will come tonight i promise...

i'm impressed with the performance...and the boost even software RAID-0 gives in this system. It makes a good little LAN box for occasional trips to get fragged, and the AIW 9800 Pro allows me to display any multitudes of AV feed right on my 19" LCD...

all in all the only thing i wish i had was a bigger monitor...

though what i am waiting for is a C2D SLI SFF - a true shuttle type box...before i take my next dive...

the thought of such power in a little toaster makes me go yay...

Back