my first serious modding

shadowlord

2[H]4U
Hi all here.
iv'e modded not many things on my pc before, only some fans and a crap paint coat, all in all very ghetto style.
now iv'e wanted something better and went out looking for a new case.
iv'e found a cooler master centurion 5
cac-t05-001.jpg
in a local store for about 90 euros.
i wanted a black - red theme on it. and here we go:

the basic centurion:
1.jpg

getting rid of anything i didn't want in it and cutting some bigger fan holes and some holes for the psu wires:
the cutting was done with a proxon(dremel clone)
2.jpg

1st layer metallic red spray paint. ( iv'e warmt the spray can in some 45 degree hot water for better results).
3.jpg

After letting the paint dry a day i made a test fitting of the mobo, psu, and fans.
iv'e bought a fan adapter 120-80mm to fit a cooler master 120 fan on the 80 mm thermal take, silent boost heat sink.(silent is the false word for the TT fan).
4.jpg

5.jpg

from the plexi (it's an PS clone btw) which was left from the window i made some hd mount, so i could but it in a 51/2 bay. also some red leds were added.
6.jpg

i also cut a custom made window in the side panel. i only used a blade from a hand saw for metal and a few files for the side panel, the plexi was cut with a jigsaw.
for the edges i used some edge cover for car doors.
12.jpg
11.jpg

stealthed the DVD/CD-RW:
10.jpg

on the bottom of the case and also on the top of the dvd drive i put some noise damping material.
sleeved most of the cables, 2 case fans and the cpu fan were connected to a aerogate 1 which is hidden behind the front bezel.
changed power and hd led to red ones.

now some day/night shots
7.jpg

8.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

i used the components of my old system
cpu: amd 2600xp+ at 2086mhz
psu: tagan 480 watt(new), old one was a 350 w enermax with anoying fan setup.
ram: elixir 2*265 mb 400mhz
mobo: asus a7n8x-x rev.2
gfx: creative gf 5900 with the cheap 700mhz ram but who cares? it was cheap.
dvd: nec 1300
hd: 80gb maxtor, no more seagate ever!
misc: coolermaster aerogate1(new), 3 cm 120 mm red led fans(new), cm ramsinks, gfx-ram sinks,

temps are idle cpu 29C, sys 18C, under prime 95 cpu45, sys20,
i wouldn't call it sillent but i is a lot, lot, lot better now.
thanks goes to the company proxon for such a excelent tool, my local hardware supply, and my father for the tipp with the saw blade for the window cut, it made a very clear and nice cut.

looks like you did a good job with the paint, and with wiring as well.

cool. how many coats of red did you do? i'm asking just because in some spots it looks uneven, but that may just be compression artifacts or lighting or something.

anyway, it all looks pretty cool. nice work.

looks good.. but if you wanted your comp to be as quiet as possible, you should have put some dampening material on your side panel, instead of putting a window.. anyways - clean case..

Nice job on the case :), Dont really see the point in noise dampening the bottom of the case, how often are you gonna have your head underneath your case? Well anyway, I like the colour theme.

thanks all.

That window is slick- nice work. How much did the edge trim cost?

about 6,30 euros for 1,2 meters

cool. how many coats of red did you do? i'm asking just because in some spots it looks uneven, but that may just be compression artifacts or lighting or something.

first used a chemical thing to make surface more coarse, then aplied two layers of paint.
all greater areas look very even, only in some edges it looks a little uneven. but these are not on the pictures;)

comp is a lot more silent that before with 6 80mm fans and a loud msi cd drive.

damn man very nice.. i see alot of people using the black material on the bottom of their cases.. but i have no idea what it is..

vivid7 said:
damn man very nice.. i see alot of people using the black material on the bottom of their cases.. but i have no idea what it is..
looks kinda like sound dampening to me

yep its sound dampening material, kills some reflected sound from the bottom plate.

@ vampirelord: saw you're diamont front plate, looks cool man!, mabe for the next mod ;)

Hi again.
first thanks for all the positive replies.

i got an offer for my creative geforce 5900 and imedeately agreed.
so i went to store for a new one.
i ended up buying a xfx gf 6600 gt. it is a good card but way to loud !!!!
so i decided to mod this as well. (there goes the waranty)

stock mode:
20.jpg

with the HSF off:
21.jpg

I bought a zahlman fv 700 al-cu cooler at an online store.
seems like it should fit on there:

22.jpg

after some cleaning with Isopropanol IPP and a thin layer Arctic Silver later.
I proved to fit ;)
23.jpg

installed for a test fit.
24.jpg

ordering the al-cu version and not the pure copper version was the right decision, no bending of the card.
finaly cleaned the cable:
25.jpg

26.jpg

i ran it at 7v.
with closed side panel its practicaly noiseless.
temps are much better than stock even.

man, big enough fans for you? used a 120 case fan on ur HSF and the a HSF on ur GPU.... you makes geeks proud

the contrast looks good, but you should really paint the DVD drives, like the tray. It would just add to the awsomeness of this computer. NICE WORK :cool:

the 120 fan on the cpu heatsink runs only at 900 rpm for 28°C idle and 42°C game load, and 46°C prime95 load. case fans are runing at ~780 rpm.
the cpu heatsink is actually from a termal take silen boost 80mm setup, but the tt fan was running very loud.

maybe i disasemble the dvd today and look if i'm able to paint the tray. the front of the dvd is already painted red.

EDIT:
i found the time to take the dvd burner drive apart.

30.jpg

painted the tray red like the other parts. (thanks for the suggestion)
reasembled the drive and fited it back in the case

31.jpg

32.jpg

that makes me wanna trade my antec super lanboy for a coolermaster :D i want the stacker *droool*

Senturion said:
you can actually buy those already like it.

in red and black

No, Cooler Master didn't release them because the final product was more pinkish than red. Nice job. Just a suggestion is to take out the metal out behind the mesh in the drive bays. It will increase the airflow.

i am very, very impressed. you are quite talented.

i'm actually planning a similar theme for my first mod... which is plodding along, slow as ever.

saw this a while ago... then saw it again recently. still looks cool:p

nice job! any other plans?

wow, fantastic paint job. the red looks great, especially with black. :cool: Good job on the stealthing of the cd drive as well... All in all looks fantastic. Good for a first serious modding job.

thanks all!

i think that there is enough airflow in the case with temps around 20 °C.

at the moment i didn't have any serious plans what to do next. as for this case i think i leave it as it is. but i'm pretty interrested in an htpc, with a small form factor. maybe a whole custom made case? whatever, i will let you know it first ;)

senturion: great work, nice window bolts.

whatever it is... you will make a wonderful job of it.

i know talent when i see it, and i'm seeing the queen of spades here if you know what i mean ;) much more experience and you'll be up there with CrimsonSky and perhaps even mashie... and mashie is an ubermodgod, so that's :eek:

good luck to you man!!

Back