• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My first post, Very Serious PSU Question

phouseplus

n00b
Joined
Sep 16, 2005
Messages
17
PLease awnser if you have ran a similiar rig with a similiar PSU. I have posted over at ocau and xs.org and call me paranoid, Im just not quite happy with the awnsers..

Sys specs

CM stacker w 3 3n4 cages (4 120mm and an 80mm blowhole
8 WD 74 gb raptors
2 seagate 400gb 7200.8
DFI NF4 SLI-D
AMD x2 4400
PLextor sata dvd
audigy 2 zs gamer
areca 1220 RAID 6 card
evga 7800 gtx KO
intel pro 100 nic
2 gb OCZ 3200 plat EL
Big bitch typhoon
usb keyboard and mouse

OK i think I got everything, This system is/was to be powered by the ENERMAX 660 EPS
It has 4 12 v rails
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103438
+3.3V@38A, +5V@5/42A, +12V1@14A, +12V2@18A, +12V3@15A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.7A
It has good output, similiar to the PC&C 850.

My questions are
Will the 660 power this system safely (yes I have a UPS, and the PSU)?
If not, then what would be the choice for the second PSU? (the CM stacker is ready for 2nd PSU)?
Does anyone run a dual core with high end video card and 8+ 10,000rpm HDDs? Please tell me what PSU you use and your experiences with it.
I have read HARDOCP since before I got my first Kt133a board. Now I have to quite lurking and POST a questin...
Is the [H]orde [H]ard enough to help a newbie with this. I am very paranoid about frying my precious hardware that I have saved very hard for....

One

P+
 
SilverStone

I would recommend this PSU over your enermax. It has 4 12v rails which have a higher output of amps compared to the enermax, which also provides more stability with that many hard drives. And the Silverstone brand is very reliable.

It also comes a bit more cheaper in price.

Silverstone 650W is greater than the Enermax 660W.
 
thanks but I already have the 660 enermax. Do you know if it would do it, or what would you recommend as a secondary PSU? Thanks!

And didja check uuuuot them specs thar me lad?
+3.3V@33A, +5V@24A, +12V1@13A, +12V2@18A, +12V3@16A, +12V4@8A, -12V@0.5A, +5VSB@2.0A for the ZEUS 650 and
+3.3V@38A, +5V@5/42A, +12V1@14A, +12V2@18A, +12V3@15A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.7A
for the enermax..look at that 5V on the enermax mmk...
Please Hardforum I need some help!
 
You don't need a secondary PSU with the amount of power the enermax puts out. Since the unit is designed for SLI and you're not running SLI, that unit will provide enough amps all of your hardware.

Good choice of going with the 3 12v rail PSU, 4 would of been better with that many hard drives, but 3 is better than 2, it'll provide your drives with proper voltage on bootup.
 
um the PSU has 4 12 v 4 rails. Is this enough for the x2, the audigy 2 , and 10HDDS on top of the gtx KO 7800? ru sure? sorry im whinny
 
Buddy, that PSU only has 3 +12v rails. The -12v rail is not part of this and helps you in no way.

Hard drives don't require much power as one would have you think.
 
12v 1 14 amp 12v2 18 amp 12v3 16 aml 12v4 14 amp
3.3 38 amp 5v 42 amp.
So it does have 4 12 v rails. Ill see how it werks and keep you all updated.
Thanks for the info everyone!

Phouseplus
 
Where the heck are you getting the 4th 12v rail?

This is a picture of the unit that you link me to in your first post, show me where that 4th rail is.

Output +3.3V@38A, +5V@5/42A, +12V1@14A, +12V2@18A, +12V3@15A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.7A

Also, look at your first post, you even post 3 12v rails.

17-103-438-02.JPG



Edit: I take that back, i went to enermax's homepage and they state that it has 4 rails, but newegg's doesn't list it as having 4 nor does the picture i posted. What the hell.
 
I cut and pasted from enermax and neweggs site. I wll post a pic of the PSU side if I can later. It is a bit confusing..
EG851 AX-VH(w) iswaht I got

phouse
 
WHAT?!?!! Newegg has something listed incorrectly on their site!?!?!?

NEVAR!!!!!
 
jonnyGURU said:
WHAT?!?!! Newegg has something listed incorrectly on their site!?!?!?

NEVAR!!!!!

But you see, the picture is also incorrect with the correct model name.

Plus i've seen many sites and reviews with this same problem of leaving off the last 12v, oh well.

But i do realize you're being very sarcastic. ;)
 
That will power just about any system fine. Trust me...while a bunk PSU will ruin your day, there is a fair amount of power-paranoia floating around the intarweb. Enermax makes a great PSU and I would think that you will be fine with one PSU. Best thing to do is power it up, stress test the hell out of it and watch the voltages. If they waiver a bunch, you may need more but per ^^^, I highly doubt it. I have a 550 powering a powerhungry P4, 3 optical drives, 5 hdds, 4 led fans, a watercooling system, overvolted ram (and CPU), a 9800Pro...with 0 problems.
 
Back
Top