My first overclock

synbios

Weaksauce
Recently I have been looking around for a dual core skt 939 CPU, but I thought it wasn't worth it considering prices will fall for Intels C2D and DDR2 ram, etc.... so last week I decided to overclock my CPU instead :D

I was a bit wary as my system is fine and does what it needs to do, so I didn't want to mess things up and find I'll be fixing problems after problems.

Anyway my system is as follows:

Athlon64 3700+ Sandie (didn't note stepping but when I bought it, this was one of the best overclocking ones)
AC freezer64 pro
2x1gb Crucial value ram
Asrock 939dualsata2 (1.20)
C3D x1900 cf edition (512mb)
Enermax EG465AX

Coolermaster Cavalier 3 case (poor cooling really)
added the following coolers
inside - Antec spot cooler
front bay - Scythe Kama bay (came with rubbish fan so replaced it with hiper fan)

On stock the above scores 4560 in 3DMark06.

I OC'd the CPU on stock voltage from 200fsb to 256fsb. Now it's running at 2.8ghz with load temps topping 48 celsius for a split second on one occasion (usually 45.5-46 celsius constant). This is room temp 26 celsius, although it was 29 over the weekend and the cpu stayed 46 celsius.

Anyway, i had to use a ram divider and it's running on 133mhz (2:3) now at 165mhz. For some reason I can't get it to run prime stable with the 166mhz (5:6) divider. I've tried several options but I guess more voltage is what's needed. I don't wish to increase the volts as this'll increase temps which I want to avoid.

Anyway, my new cpu/ram settings have increased my 3DMark score to 4940 and things run fine. Will need to experiment more though.

Oh, I think my ram can overclock well but on 1:1 divider. Before I increased my CPU to 2.8ghz, I ran the fsb @ 225. The cpu was running @ 2.475ghz and ram was 225mhz (450ddr). Didn't really test it fully though.

600 mhz o/c is about right on stock voltage,i don't see u bieng able to push it MUCH further even with dividers. U could probably get 3.0 ghz stable if your stepping is a good one but it would take a voltage increase...try bumping it up slightly...what voltage are you at now? its been a while since the sandies for me.

Well the mobo is set at 1.45v but seems to mainly stay at 1.39v-1.4v. The setting doesn't seem to let me change the voltage although I haven't looked into detail.

Back