• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My first OC, not bad either!

Incanus

Gawd
Joined
Apr 21, 2003
Messages
688
I've been wanting to OC for a long long time, and just got to try it out recently! I've had a BIostar M7VIF MB and an AMD XP 1700+ T-Bred A for the longest time but couldnt OC cause my Biostar wouldnt let me change the stuff. So I was stuck.

I just recently bought an NF7-S motherboard, a stick of 256mb Kingmax PC3500 tinybga ram, and a 1700+ T-Bred B, with a heatsink and an 80mm fan that sounds (quite literally) like a blowdryer.

Plug it all in, and it runs normal, the 1.4xGHz that its sposed to run.

I raise the multiplier, and got it up to 16x133 and it ran like a dream, burnin'ed with Sisoft Sandra and played an hour or two of NFSU, it ran like a champ. Especially with my new ATI Radeon 9600, upgraded from a 7500! :-P

So that was all good and someone said that I should raise my FSB instead of the multiplier, that it'd run better! So I decide to do 200x11, and it wouldnt boot! Turns out I forgot the essential raising of voltage on my CPU and raised it from where it was at 1.5 to 1.7, and it booted up! So now its running 200x11, effectively 2.2GHz, at about 80 degrees farenheit. I burnined with Sisoft, played alot of NFSU, and did the tests with 3dmark. Everythings uberstable, runs great.

Anyone have any suggestions to keep it going excellent, or maybe raise it? I was thinking of upgrading my RAM to a 512 stick. Also, how far do you think the CPU will go? The fan generates ALOT of fanpower, this thing is truly a beast, it circulates so much air its not funny! I'll get the exact model when I get home..

Anyway, I thought 2.2GHz was pretty [h]ard for my first try!
 
that temp is crazy, sure you have the right sensor?

those 1700+ JIUHB's were something even now, ive seen them at 2.4-2.5 in modern times. get some more RAM and youll be set!
 
crazy low or high? I've got a frotn panel thingie that I taped the sensor to my HSF, 'cause I thought that'd be the best place for it. It feels very cool to the touch, the HSF does. I'd imagine its right, this fan is ridiculous man!
 
sensors attached to a heatsink like that are never accurate. try MBM5 and see what temp that gives you.
 
I'll do it when I get home, though I suspect it wont give me much of a different reading. It's VERY cool to the touch by hand...

Where can I get mbm5?
 
Theres a difference between Heatsink temps and CPU core temps... If you're monitoring the heatsink temp, the generated heat has already had a decent amount of mass to dissipate to, try some of the monitoring tools out there, they can read from the sensor on your board/chip. If you're running over 45-50c, take it down some...otherwise nice OC.
 
Back
Top