• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

my first OC need some input.

You never tried to OC your E8400? Shame on you.

Alright, well I'm no expert on OCing, I just started last year with my Q6600, but I have found it to be fairly easy. What I would suggest is first take stock load temperatures and checking stability, of course I believe it should be stable at stock, what I would do for this is simply make sure it has headroom for higher temperatures.

If temps are good, I would go and set the clock to something like uh.... maybe 3.2-3.6, somewhere in there. I know, 3.2 wouldnt be a huge overclock, but I would personally start there with voltages on auto and check again temps and stability. Again, if temperatures allow and it is stable, increase it to 3.6ghz. I would be suprised however if the intel stock hsf would get you this far.

I'm using arctic cooler's freezer 7 pro 92mm hsf, but would not recommend it. It was cheap and rated the highest on newegg, but the simple matter is 120mm>92mm by a long shot. Unfortunately I simply dont have a lot of room for an upgrade. What I would do is look around. Look at reviews, look at prices, and make a choice based on that. I would suggest something but I dont know your price range or have any experience with anything other than my ac7pro.
 
You never tried to OC your E8400? Shame on you.

Alright, well I'm no expert on OCing, I just started last year with my Q6600, but I have found it to be fairly easy. What I would suggest is first take stock load temperatures and checking stability, of course I believe it should be stable at stock, what I would do for this is simply make sure it has headroom for higher temperatures.

If temps are good, I would go and set the clock to something like uh.... maybe 3.2-3.6, somewhere in there. I know, 3.2 wouldnt be a huge overclock, but I would personally start there with voltages on auto and check again temps and stability. Again, if temperatures allow and it is stable, increase it to 3.6ghz. I would be suprised however if the intel stock hsf would get you this far.

I'm using arctic cooler's freezer 7 pro 92mm hsf, but would not recommend it. It was cheap and rated the highest on newegg, but the simple matter is 120mm>92mm by a long shot. Unfortunately I simply dont have a lot of room for an upgrade. What I would do is look around. Look at reviews, look at prices, and make a choice based on that. I would suggest something but I dont know your price range or have any experience with anything other than my ac7pro.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking nothing to fancy maybe 75 or less for an air cooler.
 
Thanks for the input. I was thinking nothing to fancy maybe 75 or less for an air cooler.

You should be able to get a very good one for 75, it will probably be very fancy though

You can get a decent heatsink/fan for less than 40 dollars.
 
Back
Top