My first OC in 5 years.

seancky2

Limp Gawd
I have been out of the "game" for about 5 years, and man has stuff changed. I had to basicly relearn everything. Anyways - here is my first OC in such a long time using a 955BE. Would you guys mind taking a look at the settings and tell me how they look? For some reason CPU-Z does not seem to be displaying the correct core voltage. TurboV and the BIOS does though. Also, what is up with the NB settings? I manually changed it to 2600 in bios because apprently that is a good number according to other forums. What does the NB do and how do you overclock it, is it just changing a number in the BIOS as i did? What are optimal settings?

I still have much to learn. So tell me what looks wrong/good and help me please! Feel free to flame/congratulate :D I have only ran OCCT for 30 minutes. I plan on running it overnight for about 8 hours. Has OCCT replaced Prime95 for "the" stability benchmark?

Temps are idling around 40C and no more than 48 Load.

Memory is set to 16000, however I have been seeing people say that 13000 is better becaue you can get more OC that way? Comments?

2zj9539.png

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb currently @ 15.5 x 245
COOLER: Corsair H50
MOBO: ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 DDR3 1600
GPU: onboard HD 3300

Last edited:
Nice OC. As for overclocking the NB, that raises the speed of the IMC(intergrated memory controller) and the L3 cache. The will be an option in the BIOS to change the NB multiplier. Getting it to 2.4 -2.6Ghz works very well, as it lowers the latency of the memory subsystem. In my testing, it shows gains in just about everything. As for CPU-Z showing the wrong voltage, I had the same problem with the newest release. I just found an older copy and everything's working as it should.

If you're worried about your memory limiting your OC, just set the HTT/FSB to 200 and overclock using the multiplier. That way, you can max out your CPU while keeping the RAM at it's normal speed.

I am more interested in raising the FSB and not just the multipier...because this gives better performance - isnt this still the case?

As for the NB multiplier...so in AOD which settings do I change? And what increments should I go with. I can not find a detailed tutorial on OCing the NB for the life of me. If anyone could point me into a tutorial - or would like to take the time to write a step by step guide...it would be much appreciated! I really learn best when things are written out clearly and step by step in layman's terms.

Overclocking using the FSB vs Multiplier doesn't net you more performance. That was true with the old Intel style FSB architecture, but the move to Hypertransport has changed that. Using 200*15 will give you the same performance as 250*12. The whole point of the Black Edition processor from AMD is that you just up the multiplier. It's far easier, and has no downside.

The setting to change the NB multipliers is in red at the bottom left in this screenshot. If you've already changed it in the BIOS, there's no reason to do it in Overdrive. Just up it one notch at a time until you find it unstable, and either adjust the voltage(NB-VID) or take it back down. It's just like overclocking the CPU itself.

Last edited:
So....I wasted all this time trying to find my max FSB? I can't believe that this is true? I thought the whole point of OCing is to make the FSB "wider" to allow more data to be proccessed - kind of like a hose: it has a larger spout. Atleast this was how it was in the Athlong 64 days.

So I should just go to 18.5 x 200 ???

LOL....

FSB?

For Intel chips, FSB is gone completely.

WTF! That was half the "fun" over overclocking - finding your sweet spot of FSB. So the only real thing you can do with these quad cores is just up the multiplier as much as possible?

AMD chips do not use a FSB. They use Hypertransport. It's a different animal. I only use the FSB/HT terms interchangeably because it tends to get confusing for people who haven't kept up with AMD's architecture. Take the time to read up on it. Also, this has been the case since the Athlon 64s were released.

Well back with the early 64s i remember that it was more benneficial to do 10x300 rather than 15x200. So i guess this is no longer the case. Or maybe I was still wrong back then!

So...what do I need to do to get the MOST out of my 955BE? Shall I first find the highest clock speed by upping the multipier. Then try and find the highest NB clock? Where the the NB seem to top out on most 955BE's? And at what avg voltage? It seems like most people get to max 3.7-3.9 GHz but I have not seen many stats on the NB. any info or links would be awesome.

I just switched my settings to 18.5 x 200 = 3.7 and I ran the memory speed test in Everest and they seem to be slower than my settings of 15.5 x 245. However they are only slightly lower than the score in Cinema 4D.

A good start would be the CPU at 200*19 with 1.45v, and the NB at 200*13 at 1.4v. Those seem to be the average for the 955. Also, make sure you're setting your RAM timings as low as you can and still be stable, as AMD chips really benefit from lower latency. Real world apps don't really scale as well with pure bandwidth, but synthetics benchmarks will.

Those settings might not work for you, as every chip will overclock differently. To get the most out of your chip, it's going to take a lot of trial and error. Take at look here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/ , they have a very active AMD overclocking community. That's where you'll be able to learn a lot.

@sicklown thanks for the link and info bud

i really am in shock how much computer tech changes in 4 years lol - 4 cores....never dreamed of it, 2 gfx cards - no way!!

WTF! That was half the "fun" over overclocking - finding your sweet spot of FSB. So the only real thing you can do with these quad cores is just up the multiplier as much as possible?

Not at all. For the Intel chips, there is Core and Uncore. For the Core, you can adjust multiplier, Base Clock. For the Uncore, you can adjust multiplier. There is also a QPI frequency which you can not usually control and gets overclocked as you adjust BCLK.

It's just different because the FSB was designed for memory controller to CPU communications, which is unneeded now since the memory controller is physically on the CPU now.

Back