My first LDC flat panel seems hard to see

I was using a 19" CRT and made the switch to a Samsung 244t. It's viewing angle seems really poor. (supose to be 178 degree viewing angle)

If I'm sitting directly in front of it at my desk it's ok. But if I just stand up from my chair the screen gets noticably darker and hard to read. Perhaps there's something wrong with it or is this normal?

If it looks fine when looking it from the front, that would suggest it is working properly.

Do viewing angle specs refer to looking at the screen from the left, right top and bottom? Or do they only refer to looking at the screen from the sides?

Yah, this is pretty normal for an LCD (not LDC ;) ) you will get used to it. Its one disadvantage of LCD vs. CRT

LDC.... Yah I meant LCD.... my bad.... One thing I found out (the hard way) is if you buy a Samsung LCD monitor from a person (not an authorized reseller) off ebay, despite the monitor being new and still factory sealed, Samsung won't honor the 3 year warranty.

Dayam does that ever bite the big one! Here I thought I got a great deal only to find out if there is something that goes wrong with this, Samsung has washed their hands of it just because I bought it off eBay. Thus, in their eyes, I'm not the original owner even though I was the first person to open the box and use tha damn thing.

Why would you need the colors to be perfect when you are jumping around anyway?

I wasn't talking about perfect color. I'm concerned about the viewing angle and noticed how the screen gets noticably darker when I stand up from my desk. Wasn't sure that's normal. Brand new monitor, no warranty since it was purchased from eBay. Wanted to ask others if they're noticing the same thing with their LCD screens.

Really blows that Samsung won't honor the warranty. The box was still factory sealed and the manufactured date on the monitor says April 2006. One month old! No warranty? What's Samsungs deal?

actually, if tis a ebay monitor, try to ask for a return about the warranty if its a major seller

This is from a French site www.lesnumeriques.com.

36_105_108.jpg

These are images of the Samsung 244T from different angles, does your screen look very different from these images in terms of viewing angles?

The viewing angles the manufactures list are a lie. My first LCD was a Dell 2405 and the viewing angles were terrible despite claims by the manfufacture that they were 178 degrees, which is essentially perfect. The truth is more like 10 degrees The best "Real" viewing angles come from S-IPS screens. Here is a visual of what they generally look like.

MVA/PVA, Like my Dell and your samsung, dark tone washout as you move your head. You dont' need to tilt at this extreme angle either. On a 24" widescreen it was noticable moving your head a few inches. Totally unacceptable to me.
IMG0014852.jpg

IPS: Like Apple cinema panels, I would call this essentially perfect and this is why I am primarily interested in S-IPS, at extreme angle black tends to get a purple hue.
IMG0014665.jpg

TN: Cheaper fast gaming panels are often TN, Obvious trait theyturn black from below:
IMG0014667.jpg

I would say that my screen looks similar to those pictures. Text looks a little worse though. I guess my monitor is fine (normal) then. It's not anything like my CRT monitor and perhaps I went too big. Would a 19" or 20" LCD monitor have these symptoms too or less obvious?

Actually, I agree with Snowdog, more than 10 degrees and it's not nearly as clear or bright. I also have one dead pixel :(

Sure is expensive for subpar performance. I'd like to see how the heck they determine 178 degree viewing angles are obtained.

I think widescreen makes it more noticable as you are always at a greater angle to the sides.

I think the 178 degrees is the angles at which you can see "something".

Back