My first impressions of Rift are....

I3eyond

Gawd
Well, I can't even get my account authenticated. The site is so buggy that I can't even register my code to my account and then register my credit card so that I have an active subscription. I've been trying for the last two hours to get it to work, and can't.

I hope this isn't indicative of the game's experience, or else it looks like I just wasted $50. :mad:

Can't even get that to work! When I try to register a nickname, it just reloads the page, just like it does with everything else I try to do. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I had no issues on getting an account... but i can only get 30fps with the computer specs I have in my sig?? Anyway to improve it??

Well to have any useful sort of reference you have to specify what settings, and doing what. Rift is a very demanding game, and also a very scalable one. So your FPS on a given set of hardware will heavily depend on two things:

1) What your video settings are. What your resolution is, how high you've turned up the various quality options, if you are using FSAA, if you are using Vsync, and so on. The difference in framerate between the lowest and highest settings can be like 5x or more.

2) What you are doing in game. For one the maps are pretty varied. Some are fairly simple backgrounds and don't hit the card that much. Others have a lot more polygons, textures, shaders and so on and hit it harder. Bigger than that are the people. The characters are fairly detailed, so each brings a bunch of load to the GPU and CPU. If you are hanging around in a populated city or fighting in a rift, you'll find your FPS is way lower than out questing.

So for me, on a Q9550 and a 5870 at 1920x1200, high quality, no FSAA I find it ranges from 60ish to 15ish depending on. Questing is usually in the 45-60 range, sometimes even higher. Rifts are down in the 15 range and get a little choppy. I don't do very high settings because at that point I find too much slowdown in intense things like rifts, and even in Meridian.

I'm on a i7-870 and an unlocked 6950. With every option maxed and FSAA I'd hover between 24 and 50 fps. I was running with every option maxed and Edge AA and getting great performance but it's too blurry. The best settings for me have been Ultra + a few options maxed (AF, Particles, etc.) + FSAA. With those settings I get 30 - 60 fps but usually hang out in the mid-40s.

I've never seen the FPS down in the teens. 24 is the lowest I've seen.

Dont use chrome on their site, I have had problems with payment. IE worked fine.

Are you overclocking the 920? If not, you should be :)

I do not have AC in my house in the summer it would be way to hot. But in the winter it is nice and toasty!

Well to have any useful sort of reference you have to specify what settings, and doing what. Rift is a very demanding game, and also a very scalable one. So your FPS on a given set of hardware will heavily depend on two things:

1) What your video settings are. What your resolution is, how high you've turned up the various quality options, if you are using FSAA, if you are using Vsync, and so on. The difference in framerate between the lowest and highest settings can be like 5x or more.

2) What you are doing in game. For one the maps are pretty varied. Some are fairly simple backgrounds and don't hit the card that much. Others have a lot more polygons, textures, shaders and so on and hit it harder. Bigger than that are the people. The characters are fairly detailed, so each brings a bunch of load to the GPU and CPU. If you are hanging around in a populated city or fighting in a rift, you'll find your FPS is way lower than out questing.

So for me, on a Q9550 and a 5870 at 1920x1200, high quality, no FSAA I find it ranges from 60ish to 15ish depending on. Questing is usually in the 45-60 range, sometimes even higher. Rifts are down in the 15 range and get a little choppy. I don't do very high settings because at that point I find too much slowdown in intense things like rifts, and even in Meridian.

I think i turned off FSAA and vsync. Not sure about the rest. I'l give your spec a try.

*edit: im running 50 -60 fps now but server just rebooted and it is in the morning and I am in Quarrystone Basin... we shall see how long this lasts.

To the poster below... seriously?

Last edited:
This could not go in the Rift thread? My first impression of the thread is....gay.

I'm on a i7-870 and an unlocked 6950. With every option maxed and FSAA I'd hover between 24 and 50 fps. I was running with every option maxed and Edge AA and getting great performance but it's too blurry. The best settings for me have been Ultra + a few options maxed (AF, Particles, etc.) + FSAA. With those settings I get 30 - 60 fps but usually hang out in the mid-40s.

I've never seen the FPS down in the teens. 24 is the lowest I've seen.

One thing to note: the game doesn't use FSAA. It uses supersampling. It doubles the horizontal resolution of the game and scales it back to the display resolution.

If you're running at 1920*1080, with supersampling, it will run it natively at 3840*1080 and scale it back before outputting to the monitor. SSAA will therefore double your GPU load, and unless you're CPU bound, cut your framerate in half.

I do not have AC in my house in the summer it would be way to hot. But in the winter it is nice and toasty!

Nah as long as your case isn't like an oven, a custom air cooling solution will get you a pretty hefty overclock from this CPU, might need some faster memory to keep up though.

Contacted customer support last night, and heard nothing today.

It is as if no matter what I do, the code never gets applied to my account, even though it seems I am going through the whole process. This is super frustrating.

One thing to note: the game doesn't use FSAA. It uses supersampling. It doubles the horizontal resolution of the game and scales it back to the display resolution.

If you're running at 1920*1080, with supersampling, it will run it natively at 3840*1080 and scale it back before outputting to the monitor. SSAA will therefore double your GPU load, and unless you're CPU bound, cut your framerate in half.

It doesn't come anywhere near a 50% performance hit for me. It only cuts about 10 to 20 fps for me so it's only about 25%.

Contacted customer support last night, and heard nothing today.

It is as if no matter what I do, the code never gets applied to my account, even though it seems I am going through the whole process. This is super frustrating.

Pretty unusual I've heard nothing but great things from them. They are probably overloaded customer support wise. It doesn't seem any of these MMO upstarts are truly ever "fully" ready even though Rift will go down as one of if not the smoothest MMO launches. And I know people will point the long que times for the "early" start reserves but I personally count it from the day it launches and it was still pretty smooth.

Finally got it working.

Thus far the game seems to run well at Ultra settings. Doesn't seem to be very CPU intensive, or, at least, it doesn't come close to peaking out my i5-760.

I'm thinking it's GPU intensive? Has anyone tried this with SLI and seen significant gains?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rift certainly hits my processor.

Do you monitor it while you're playing? I never see mine peak out at all.

So far I am an Eth Stormcaller/Elementalist. I must say that this is a very fun game so far.

Although, I would like to see 60 FPS locked. I'm curious if another 570 would make this happen...?

On a single monitor, I was able to max everything out....all sliders right. Yes, I could tell it worked my system as frames went down some from default.

At 5760x1200, I can have it set to high and get damn good smooth gaming. If I try to max it there like above, then I see my system cry. Whatever it puts you at is pretty damn accurate. You get minimal increase in quality upping the AF beyond 4.

On a single monitor, I was able to max everything out....all sliders right. Yes, I could tell it worked my system as frames went down some from default.

At 5760x1200, I can have it set to high and get damn good smooth gaming. If I try to max it there like above, then I see my system cry. Whatever it puts you at is pretty damn accurate. You get minimal increase in quality upping the AF beyond 4.

So perhaps this is good evidence the game scales nicely with SLI?

Looks like all the other MMO's to me.

When a game's main selling point is "HEY LOOK, SOMETHING NOT WOW"(we're not in azeroth anymore tagline on every commercial and ad), it usually means there's nothing better that will stand out. Which doesn't bode well for Rift.

When a game's main selling point is "HEY LOOK, SOMETHING NOT WOW"(we're not in azeroth anymore tagline on every commercial and ad), it usually means there's nothing better that will stand out. Which doesn't bode well for Rift.

Usually.

This is not the case with Rift. If you have any questions about it or are confused at any new additions it has over any other MMO, I suggest you check out that other huge thread. This isn't just another run-of-the-mill MMO like Age of Conan, Warhammer, and any of those other ones that had bad starts and couldn't get back in the game. Rift actually started very well off, and with a decent sized patch less than two weeks after launch, it definitely has some great potential if the developers keep it up.

Sigh, I wish I had 3 monitors. Using 2 monitors doesn't work very well when the character is split between the screen. If only I had more desk room :'(

Do you monitor it while you're playing? I never see mine peak out at all.

So far I am an Eth Stormcaller/Elementalist. I must say that this is a very fun game so far.

Although, I would like to see 60 FPS locked. I'm curious if another 570 would make this happen...?

I monitor temps. My cpu is hitting 65c so it's definitely being used.

Back