My first gripe with Vista64

RangerSVT

[H]ard|Gawd
As you all know, I can vouch for Vista as being one of the greatest Operating Systems created after Windows 2000, but I have one issue that is bothering me.

THIS
winlogin.jpg

First let me clarify, I'm all for rebooting after updates, after programs being installed that ask for a reboot, but what pisses me off is that this asshole is giving itself the right and authority to restart the pc because it feels like it needs to! There is no bluescreen, no error, no instability, the damn thing restarted the pc by itself!!

The only thing I can think of is that it did it because I left windows update run and install updates for my office 2007.

How do I smack this bitch up and have it never do this again?

Thanks..!

I did some research and it is more than likely Automatic Windows Update that triggered the restart, I checked the logs, i had updates pending last night, and had updates pending two nights ago, which happened in a restart.

I for one am not happy that it is restarting without me, the only authorized user's, permission.

Now I need to dig up some info on disabling this shit.

I will keep updating this thread with my solutions or possible solutions for future search references

on all my machines I set updates to download but to let me install

I normally have it set to that, but with my vista machine, I let it go as far as downloading and installing, but i've never had it restart the pc because it installed an update, i can't imagine updating office 2007 would require a automatic update, my gripe is that what if I were decoding or encoding something last night, who gives vista the right to do shit on its own!

Mine continue to download critical updates and reboot on me all the time for them. Hate Vista, period.

Simple fix (search engines are your friend) ... making the registry edit below will allow you to leave automatic install of updates on and prevent the reboot. The only other solution is to set Windows Update to download updates automatically but install updates manually, but even after doing that, Vista will want to reboot.

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001

Cheers,
sn3ak3rp1mp

Simple fix (search engines are your friend) ... making the registry edit below will allow you to leave automatic install of updates on and prevent the reboot. The only other solution is to set Windows Update to download updates automatically but install updates manually, but even after doing that, Vista will want to reboot.

Code:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001

Cheers,
sn3ak3rp1mp

Thanks bro, I'll give that a shot.

I've never had this problem, but I have it set to let me choose when to d/l and install. Of course I usually restart after every update anyways lol. Owell, hope that fix works incase it ever starts happening to me.

Well I decided to select Download Updates without automatically installing them. This has worked, just a heads up, but I will keep that reg hex if I decide to enable auto install in the future.

Thanks dudes

Back