My first build- X-QPack & Pics

WarlordOne

Limp Gawd
This is my first build and for it I chose the SFF Aspire X-Qpack because the number of features it has as well as the glowing reviews. Since the first case came in dented Newegg sent me another one courtesy of UPS. It's been about a month now and no one has called me back about picking up the first case. In another month I'm going to use it for a second project.

As far a building a PC it was far easier than I had hoped. The hardest part I'd say was trying to make all the cables fit in nicely.

Here's a quick breakdown:

$69.00- ASPIRE X-QPACK Black/Silver (for 2:p )
$82.00- Asus P4P800-VM MATX motherboard
$42.00- CT-479 adapter
$free- Celeron M 360 1.4 oc'd to 2.4Ghz
$free- ZipCD DVD/CD-RW (from my old AMD K6-II PC) modded and painted black
$138.00- 2 Gig (2x1Gig) ST DDR3200 2.5cas memory
$104.00- Maxtor 300GB SATA II 7200rpm 16MB HDD
$10.00- 3.5" USB 2.0 Card Reader
$0.99- Firewire card

total=$445.99
s/h was about $20-$25 total, no tax.

I still need to pick up a vid card for this machine but that will be determined by what I want to do with it (dvr vs gaming) and that depends on if I'm building a 2nd machine.

Pics:

Qpack exterior:
tn_DSC00719.jpg

A peek inside to show how I manage the cables, very important in a windowed case. Originally I had everything ziptied to the case but it was impossible to remove the motherboard tray without cutting every ziptie. Now I'm using cable clamps which allow me to release the wires without cutting/unplugging everything. Also notice the rounded IDE:
tn_DSC00712.jpg

Face, temps are with the fans at 40% thanks to speedfan:
tn_DSC00717.jpg

Here you can see the DVD Window mod which is lit by a red led and my Sony DVD burner currently charged with all the DVD burning duties:
tn_DSC00708.jpg

Right side showing DiamondMax10 and Asus heatsink:
tn_DSC00716.jpg

2Gigs SuperTalent Mem @ 2-3-3-6; Stock 120mm casefan modded to use 3pin fan header -allowing it to be controlled with speedfan.
tn_DSC00714.jpg

Wire management on the right side; faceplate header wires twisted (because I think it looks good), HDD temp wire, round IDE, card reader and front usb cables.
tn_DSC00715.jpg

That's about it. After reading many reviews I just ordered a New DVD burner- LITEON 16X DVD±R Burner W/LS, DVD-RAM Model SHM-165H6S. As far as video cards go If I end up building another Q-Pack then this one will get a good DVR card and the other one will end up with a EVGA 7900gt. If that doesn't happen I'm thinking of the AIW x800xt AGP card or maybe the 7800GS and a PCI DVR card.

that window mod on your drive looks cool! mind pointing me in the right direction to perform one of those?

and good idea with the case fan, I found that its a bit louder than most reviews let on, so I'll probably get a controller for it. its not SUPER loud, but it is the loudest thing in my casek, and definately stands out.

I don't have a link but it was fairly easy:

First thing to note: There is a spindle that holds the disk in place when it spins, some times it's attached to the top cover of the drive:

DT_65087_1.jpg

and others (like mine) have a steel bar just under the upper case half.
tn_DSC00670.jpg

Whatever the case may be the spindle must be left intact for the drive to operate correctly!

Once you have determined what type of drive you have you can remove the upper portion of the case and layout the window. I used a CD as a template but of course you can be as creative as you want. I then cut the window with a dremel tool and smoothed the edges with the sander attachment.

The steel spindle mount is actually much larger than my picture shows and should be cut back to show more of the disk. Remove the spindle mount (2 screws in my case) and mark on the spindle mount what needs to be removed. Using a Dremel cut off wheel trim the piece. Remember this piece is steel and will take some effort to shape. It took me 6 cutting disks and a lot of grinding to get the spindle mount down in size.

Once you're satisfied you can reassemble it, paint it, or even light it. ;)
tn_DSC00666.jpg

I trimmed the edge of mine with the outer sheathing stripped off a USB cable, the led is wired/solderd internally to the +5v and ground.

Do you have a link to the memory card reader for the 3.5" slot you got there? Planning on building a Q- and that reader looks nice with the front.

Edit: Nevermind I found it. Reader
That's it right?

Smititty said:
Do you have a link to the memory card reader for the 3.5" slot you got there? Planning on building a Q- and that reader looks nice with the front.

Edit: Nevermind I found it. Reader
That's it right?

That's the one I got, I was able to get it slightly cheaper at ewiz esp. factoring in shipping for everything.

some more questions on the optical drive window mod....

how did you attach the window? glue? screws?

and, recommendations on buying a dremel/accessories?

edit* nevermind, I got things figured out now. I am totally gonna do this.

Can you tell me how to do the 4 pin to 3 pin mod on the fan? What becomes the rpm sensor wire. Id like to do that.

chameleoneel said:
how did you attach the window? glue? screws?

I just wanted to let you know you may not be able to fit a window inside, I had one originally but it interfered with the door closing so, I removed it. But who cares, the case has a window.
:D

fireburster said:
Can you tell me how to do the 4 pin to 3 pin mod on the fan? What becomes the rpm sensor wire. Id like to do that.

Modding the case fan so it uses the 3 pin board header doesn't add an rpm sensor it just allows it to be controlled through software. So the board doesn't know the RPM's but you can still control how much power (0-100%) it gets in speedfan. I have it set to 43% and it increases to 68% under load.

interesting, I'll keep that in mind when I do the mod. maybe knowing that in advance will allow me to plan around it....

I just put together my very first build yesterday, also a X-QPack. Took me four hours to assemble it and install Windows. Its pretty sweet, but I think I have some cord management to do. :)

alexheinz said:
I just put together my very first build yesterday, also a X-QPack. Took me four hours to assemble it and install Windows. Its pretty sweet, but I think I have some cord management to do. :)

Yeah, it's surprisingly easy to work with for being such a small case. Still, all the windows beg for me to do more stuff to show off. I was thinking about putting in a modded Psone LCD when I finished with some other projects.

synaps3 said:
NoOoOo :D I wanted to be the first to do that whe I make my sff build this summer :cool:

It's a race! Mines already stripped down with vga + rca adapters attached to it. I just need a little more free time.

Haha, I had to return mine because it would only display greenscale (even when I hooked it up to my PS1 :mad: ). Too bad I can't find another...

I won't be getting my Q-Pack until I start working this summer anyways. I am in a bit of debt right now :rolleyes:

synaps3 said:
Haha, I had to return mine because it would only display greenscale (even when I hooked it up to my PS1 :mad: ). Too bad I can't find another...

I won't be getting my Q-Pack until I start working this summer anyways. I am in a bit of debt right now :rolleyes:

That sucks.

Mine was all wired up in a lcd projector I built but the lightsource was not bright enough (400watt halogen projector bulb) so the grays and blacks would blend together. I don't feel like spending $150 on a proper light source; that's why it's already wired. Also, I have to make a backlight source for it since I tossed the original.

My downside is that I got a second F/T job so free time is a little tight. At least I have internet at both jobs :D

I'm on the bandwagon with the Viewsonic 20" Widescreen -VX2025WM. I got mine $339 shipped from buy.com. No dead or stuck pixels and I think the picture quality is excellent. Now I just have to get a nice video card so I can start with the gaming...

Watching Family guy season 3 streaming off the lappy next to is which is also folding away since it's not being toted around:
13445bd7.jpg

Sorry about the flash in the following shot:
25f714e7.jpg

BurntToast said:
Woot! DVD Window Mod Lives!
Here is an article that I did on the window mod 6yrs ago. It may be helpful to you. But this is a different try of drive than the OP.
... here is the archive link!
http://web.archive.org/web/20020611...ckshardware.com/html/mods/other/dvdmod/1.html
I could've used that link before I did the mod but it's kinda fun to hack away and see where it'll get you!

Family Guy FTW! Nice set up you have there, certantly inspiring some changes/upgrades for my rig in the future. I like that media reader, I'll be picking one up when I order my 7600 :) Nice job with the cable management too.

I just wanted to add a pic of my modded wireless headphones. I added a switch and RCA jacks so that I can plug speakers into them and play my playlists outside, in the garage, or in my bedroom...

DSC00757_tn.jpg

Nice wireless headphones.. I have a Sennheiser pair, but since I live in Boston I always get a lot of interference no matter what channel I am on :(

Sucks cuz they are good headphones. Have to use the wired ones, and even those get electronic interference which is picked up by my speakers and passed to the headphones. A constant buzzing. Have tried re-routing cables, plugging in speakers elsewhere, etc., but the buzzing persists, sometimes I even get a radio station or two!

Just finished upgrading to a Pentium M 725 (1.6Ghz @ 100fsb). They're so cheap I couldn't resist. It's running 2.56Ghz @ 160fsb at a cool 25°C right now with the fans @ 35% to keep it quiet. I also jumped on the glass desk bandwagon. I need to clean up my office so I can post some pics of the new setup.

Back