• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My first attempt at CPU lapping. (large pics warning)

xSteathx

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 8, 2003
Messages
384
I was searching around last night on overclocking results, and I happend to read about lapping, and found out you can do it to cpus, so today I went to Walmart and Autozone and bought some 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit sand paper to try this out on an old cpu.

Before.
CIMG2770.jpg


Started sanding with the 400.
CIMG2795.jpg


More sanding, this is probably after the 800.
CIMG2810.jpg


Again, after 1000.
CIMG2839.jpg


After buffing with the 1500, and 2000. Close enough for me mirror finish, with little imperfections in corner since this is a 3-4 year old CPU.

Going to hook this up to my Bigwater.
CIMG2840.jpg


Corner imperfection wont matter since waterblock doesn't cover the complete cpu =(.
CIMG2844.jpg

CIMG2845.jpg

CIMG2847.jpg


And the mess, Spend about $25 on all the materials.
CIMG2842.jpg


I will like to add, after I finished cleaning the cpu, I put the waterblock on the cpu and it stuck to the waterblock for split second, so I guess I got it right.
 
Last edited:
nice work there.. ive been thinking about lapping my x2 6400+ just for the heck of it.. since i really dont like that processor anyways..
 
Perrier?! +5 points for lapping your CPU, minus 5 points for drinking french foo-foo water. You broke even this time but we'll be watching you now.... :eek:
 
I see no reason not to lap any CPU, besides the whole.. you know.. breaking it thing.
 
Perrier?! +5 points for lapping your CPU, minus 5 points for drinking french foo-foo water. You broke even this time but we'll be watching you now.... :eek:

Lol, I don't drink anything but water, so I like sparkling water, so much more refreshing then regular water :p. I do drink whiskey sometimes and beer too but they don't count :).

I see no reason not to lap any CPU, besides the whole.. you know.. breaking it thing.

I can't really see how to really damage the cpu unless you are careless and in a rush to lap it, but the only thing to worry about is how thick the copper layer is since the nickle layer is very very thin. Most people that lap their CPU do it with a new one, and from that I seeing it less risk then doing what I did to a 3+ year old cpu that has damage from the heatsinks and crappy undersized waterblock I used.

The edges are little emprefect and still lower then the center and everything else, I would have kept lapping it to get a complete flat smooth finish, but I really don't know how thick the copper layer is and I don't want to go to far and really damage the cpu.

Anyone know how thick the copper layer is?
 
Last edited:
I really doubt you will have lapped enough to go through the IHS, even using nothing but 400 you are taking off very very small amounts of metal. I could have told you as I just threw out a X2 chip. However I lapped the hell out of an old E2180 to see how rough you could be on it and its still going strong in a HTPC.
 
I see no reason not to lap any CPU, besides the whole.. you know.. breaking it thing.

You'd have to be a pretty big idiot to lap a CPU to death. I started mine with 220 sandpaper (really, really rough) and did 400, 600, and 800 and it works perfectly and runs cooler. If you're looking for a fun project that's cheap and time consuming that will typically drop temperatures a few degrees, lapping is for you.
 
Back
Top