My Finished PVR! Thanks for all the help all!

TheCoolGuy

Weaksauce
As everyone knows by now, I have built a PVR with the help of all of you. Here are the final specs I got:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case - Antec Black ATX Mini Tower PC Case with 350W Power Supply
Link
$65

Motherboard - CHAINTECH nForce3 250 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 Athlon 64 CPU
Link
$74.00

Video Card - ROSEWILL ATI RADEON 9600 Video Card, 128MB DDR, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP
Link
$72

PCI Video Recorder - Hauppauge Win TV150 PVR-MCE-PCI Tuner Card for MCE
Link
$72

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 2800+, 512KB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor - OEM
Link
$109

RAM - Mushkin 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200
Link
$46

Hard drive - SAMSUNG 160GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive
Link
$85

DVD Drive - SAMSUNG 16X DVD Drive Black
Link
$26

Heat sink - ZALMAN CNPS7000B-AlCu Aluminum + Copper CPU Cooler for Socket 478/462/754/939/940 CPUs
Link
$39.99

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And some quick pictures I just took:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Thanks Again!

congrats on the finish! I know I felt so relieved when I finally finished my HTPC. everything runs perfectly!

good job, I like it. nice powerful beast you got

If I may ask..

Why didn't you go with a DVD burner? Their not expensive now a days [ Which irritates me, since last year I paid 150 for a top line Lite-On, and now they have Duallayers for half of what i paid for my single layer a year ago! ], and would let you burn away all those shows you just gotta save..

Nice setup none the less!

Yeah, that is something I regret now, not getting a DVD burner. I didnt know Windows Media Center had a burn to dvd button. I will probably get one later when I get the money.

research that burn to dvd feature. I beleive it just burns the file right to the disc, so you can't go pop it in the set top box and watch it. It still has to be played on a MCE PC.

IDversusEGO said:
research that burn to dvd feature. I beleive it just burns the file right to the disc, so you can't go pop it in the set top box and watch it. It still has to be played on a MCE PC.
Yup it just burns the file to disc, kind of a let down IMO.

Pretty cool I hope you really like it. :)

CrimandEvil said:
Yup it just burns the file to disc, kind of a let down IMO.

Pretty cool I hope you really like it. :)

1) Get Beyond TV or Sage.
2) Record your shows in MPEG2 using Program Stream format (not DVD format, as Program 3) Stream will allow you to edit your MPEG2 without any A/V problems)
4) Use Woomble MPEG2VCR to easily cut out your commericals.
5) Open Nero and burn your shows commercial free that can play on ANY DVD player. Don't be restricted to watching your shows on your HTPC only, unlock the full potential of your new toy. In fact ditch MCE and use something more configurable like Meedio, hell, its on sale right now for only $20 Meedio with Beyond TV or Sage make a really nice combo that is customized to your needs and has lots of themes to customize to your tastes.

I have tons of music videos each cut seperatly and lots of TV shows with out commercials. It takes about 10minutes of your time to cutout the commercials on an hour long show, which usually has about 4-5 commercial breaks. I hate M$ way of restricting you from watching your recorded shows on other TV's.....

There's a plug-in for MCE 2k5

Arcsoft QuickDVD It will change it to DVD format for ya. Then burns it.

Back