my finger is on the trigger...alienware

Status
Not open for further replies.

erf

[H]ard|Gawd
i've been contemplating getting an alienware for sometime now and i can't seem to force myself to push the "checkout" button oniline.

i've got a 2500.00 credit limit. before i spend this kind of cash i need some opinions, ( no i'm not going to build my own and no i'm not going to be able to purchase from another OEM comp, so save these sentiments).

my current rig is my sig and i'd like to know how much of a performance boost i will be seeing. also how long will this alienware setup last me. i know i'll eventually have to start scaling down gfx options and playing in lower rez but that is fine with me. the main game i'm worried about now is this one: http://download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/videos/project_offset_august2005_1280x720p.wmv

here is the setup i'm looking at purcasing,

nforce4 sli mobo (looks like they use asus based mobos)
amd 64 3800+
2x512mb ram 2-3-2-5 t1 ddr 3200
7800gt
160gb 7200rpm hd
19" 12ms samsung 913V

oh the total including mouse, kb, recovery software, OS, shipping etc, is 2602.00.

thanks. pros and cons much appreciated. i've got until 5 cst to make my decision, or i have to wait until monday to order.....i've been holding off as long as i can its about to burn me up....I WANT A NEW RIG!

hmm i was just reconfiguring......would it be better to go with the 4200x2 instead?

erf said:
hmm i was just reconfiguring......would it be better to go with the 4200x2 instead?

if you are spending that much already you might as well go with the x2 from alien ware if they offer it.

looks like a nice setup

Sounds like a great rig, i'd try and go with one 1024MB stick of ram though, because 2GB is going to be the standard soon enough. But other than that, sounds like a great rig and if you have the money to spend go for it. (and definately go with the X2 or an FX)

Rob978 said:
Sounds like a great rig, i'd try and go with one 1024MB stick of ram though, because 2GB is going to be the standard soon enough. But other than that, sounds like a great rig and if you have the money to spend go for it. (and definately go with the X2 or an FX)
well they don't offer 2g of ram running at 400mhz. for some reason they only offer 4x512 @ 333. i'm trying to decide if its better to get 4x512 @ 333 or 2 x 512 @ 400.....i mean even though the 2gb is at 333 it will still serve the same purpose right? just not quite as effecient....am i right?

i might change it to the x2 4200 and 2g ram...hmmm. that jacks my price up though...shit.

Well, I know you said you didn't want to build your own, but if you're willing to do some small upgrading.....I'd get the X2, and you can always buy the 2nd stick of ram yourself later. You'll get a better deal from the egg or zipzoomfly on the additional ram than you would from alienware. If you're planning to OC go w/the 400, otherwise just stick w/the 333.

erf said:
i've been contemplating getting an alienware for sometime now and i can't seem to force myself to push the "checkout" button oniline.

i've got a 2500.00 credit limit. before i spend this kind of cash i need some opinions, ( no i'm not going to build my own and no i'm not going to be able to purchase from another OEM comp, so save these sentiments).

my current rig is my sig and i'd like to know how much of a performance boost i will be seeing. also how long will this alienware setup last me. i know i'll eventually have to start scaling down gfx options and playing in lower rez but that is fine with me. the main game i'm worried about now is this one: http://download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/videos/project_offset_august2005_1280x720p.wmv

here is the setup i'm looking at purcasing,

nforce4 sli mobo (looks like they use asus based mobos)
amd 64 3800+
2x512mb ram 2-3-2-5 t1 ddr 3200
7800gt
160gb 7200rpm hd
19" 12ms samsung 913V

oh the total including mouse, kb, recovery software, OS, shipping etc, is 2602.00.

thanks. pros and cons much appreciated. i've got until 5 cst to make my decision, or i have to wait until monday to order.....i've been holding off as long as i can its about to burn me up....I WANT A NEW RIG!

I purchased an AW system about 5 months ago and it was the worst PC experience I could ever have had. First off, it took about 3 months from the time I ordered the thing to get to my door step. Once it came it had numerous problems, BSODS, ramdom restarts and etc. Not to mention theyare over priced. JUST DON'T DO IT. It's not worth it, really. Yes they look like and you can get some sweet bells and whistles that look cool on paper but in reality, just not worth it. I will NEVER buy an AW system. Build a system, and if you don't know how to, then have someone help you. For the love of God don't buy AW. You will regret it. I'm sure someone will come in here boasting about how good their PC is and that AW is the bomb and they have had no issues. AW probably has more complaints against them then any other PC company out there, if they don't have the most then they are pritty fricking close.

[BB] Rick James said:
I purchased an AW system about 5 months ago and it was the worst PC experience I could ever have had. First off, it took about 3 months from the time I ordered the thing to get to my door step. Once it came it had numerous problems, BSODS, ramdom restarts and etc. Not to mention theyare over priced. JUST DON'T DO IT. It's not worth it, really. Yes they look like and you can get some sweet bells and whistles that look cool on paper but in reality, just not worth it. I will NEVER buy an AW system. Build a system, and if you don't know how to, then have someone help you. For the love of God don't buy AW. You will regret it. I'm sure someone will come in here boasting about how good their PC is and that AW is the bomb and they have had no issues. AW probably has more complaints against them then any other PC company out there, if they don't have the most then they are pritty fricking close.
did you get your money back?

If you don't mind going with Intel, The Dell XPS 600 can be had at a decent price. I ordered this setup on Wednesday.

XPS 600
Pentium® Extreme Edition Dual Core w/ HT Tech (3.20GHz, 800FSB)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition Qty: 1
Unit Price: $4,807.00

Memory 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz- 4 DIMMs
Monitors FREE UPGRADE! 19 inch E193FP Analog Flat Panel
Video Cards Dual 256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX with SLI Technology
Hard Drive 160GB Performance RAID 0 (2 x 80GB 10K SATA2 HDDs)
CD or DVD Drive Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write
Sound Cards Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
2Yr Ltd Warranty, 2Yr At-Home Service, and 2Yr Technical Support
XPS Specialized Support Dimension XPS, Specialized Support

Final price after coupons and tax came out to $3051

Does it have to be Alienware?

If not:

Dell Dimension XPS Gen 5

Pentium® D Processor 830 with Dual Core Technology (3GHz, 800FSB)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 4 DIMMs
Dell USB Keyboard
19 inch Ultrasharp™ 1905FP Digital Flat Panel
256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ Native Command Queuing
Dell® 2-button USB mouse
Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 48x CD-RW Drive
Sound Blaster Audigy™ 2 ZS (D) Card w/Dolby 5.1, IEEE 1394 capability
1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr At-Home Service, and 1Yr Technical Support
Dimension XPS, Specialized Support
Recycle my old system with Dell (FREE)

TOTAL:$2,051.28

And you have ~$450 left to invest in your 401K or IRA.

If you wanna max out the $2500 do it in style:

Dell XPS 600

Pentium® D Processor 830 with Dual Core Technology (3.0GHz, 800FSB)
Dell USB Keyboard
Dual 256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX with SLI Technology
Dell® 2-button USB mouse
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Can't beat the 7800GTX in SLi.

TOTAL:$2,368.08

Ultra Wide said:
If you wanna max out the $2500 do it in style:

Dell XPS 600

Pentium® D Processor 830 with Dual Core Technology (3.0GHz, 800FSB)
Dell USB Keyboard
Dual 256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX with SLI Technology
Dell® 2-button USB mouse
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Can't beat the 7800GTX in SLi.

TOTAL:$2,368.08
but what about AMD?

erf said:
but what about AMD?

if alienware offers a dual core AMD then it would be good. anyway i suggest getting the Dell 20.1"" WIDESCREEN ultrasharp

whatever rig you are getting make sure you get

AMD x2 4200+ or Better
2x 512mb or 2x 1GB PC3200 (i recommend 2gb)
SATA HDD your choice
Dell Ultrasharp 20.1" WIDESCREEN . make sure its widescreen
DVD-RW
Geforce 7800GTX if you are a hardcore gamer but if you are not then might as well save 100$ bucks and get 7800gt

swatX said:
if alienware offers a dual core AMD then it would be good. anyway i suggest getting the Dell 20.1"" WIDESCREEN ultrasharp

whatever rig you are getting make sure you get

AMD x2 4200+ or Better
2x 512mb or 2x 1GB PC3200 (i recommend 2gb)
SATA HDD your choice
Dell Ultrasharp 20.1" WIDESCREEN . make sure its widescreen
DVD-RW
Geforce 7800GTX if you are a hardcore gamer but if you are not then might as well save 100$ bucks and get 7800gt

i still say check out Falcon Northwest thay have much better systems

Elios said:
i still say check out Falcon Northwest thay have much better systems
Their systems are good, but I wouldn't think $2500 would get much from there. They're about as cost effective as Ford Excursions.

Blitzrommel said:
Their systems are good, but I wouldn't think $2500 would get much from there. They're about as cost effective as Ford Excursions.

more like a Hummer but then you can actly go real off roading with it lol

hmm actly you can get a 3800+ X2 and a 7800GT in a talon + other stuff for 2,500

SilverStone TJ04 Black Chassis
Silverstone 650Watt Power Supply 24 Pin
Asus A8N-SLI Motherboard
AMD Athlon64 3800+ Dual Core
Zalman CNPS7000LED ALCU (AMD)
PC3200DDR 1024MB (2pcs 512MB)
nVidia Geforce 7800 GT 256MB (BFG)
No Raid
WD250JD 250GB 7200RPM 8M SATA
Lite-On 16X Dual Layer DVD+-/RW
Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Logitech Access Keyboard
Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse

Known issues with this configuration: None

System Price: $ 2,526.41

thats what i came up with no monitor but you can get that for cheap no need to LCD i still like CRT for gaming and you can get nice one for 180 or so now

You should think about the upgrade potential of your purchase. How easy is it to get in the case?? What are the PSU specs??? Does the OEM use standard or ordinary components????
I have two Alienware computers. I have NEVER had a problem with either one. Since this section of the forums is about OEM computers, it isnt rational to flame you about building your own. I have found AW easy to deal with. You can upgrade components easily because they use standard ones. If you look inside a DELL system the whole thing is chocked full of components youll never see off the etail shelves.
Please tho check the warranty of any system, look at the future and ask about upgrading a Video card or adding your own RAM and see if it affects your warranty.
I wouldnt sweat it with Alienware, their computers are good. I personally have had excellent experience with their customer service. Neither of my systems ever had a problem. Both are now past warranty. Just yesterday I replaced the MB, CPU, RAM, and PSU in my newest system to bring it up to speed. The only alienware parts left are the case, opticals and HD. The old parts will become a nice system for music.

oh shit. i've got major dilemnas now. after looking at the dells and getting approved for 2000.00 in credit i might be changing my mind.

i can get an xps that includes:

pentium D 830
2g RAM
2X7800 GTX SLI FOLKS!!!
160gh HD 7200
20" widescreen

total with shipping 2570.00!!!

alienware config:

amd 3800+
1g RAM
160gb HD
7800 GT
19" samsung 12ms

SPEAK UP....which would you do?

what are the performance difference between the pentium D's and the x64's?

to tell you the truth i am a big fan of AMD, but I think you would be much happier with that dell system

while it is true that he might be able to save a little money or whatever if he goes through newegg/other online retailers there is a rule for this forum subsection

3) Furthermore, people coming into this forum asking advice on prebuilt systems, either for themselves or for their family, typically do not appreciate a response of 'build your own'. That is not what this forum is for. If someone wanted to know your opinion as to whether or not they should build their own, then that response would be appropriate. There are perfectly legitimate reasons for people wanting to buy or recommend a prebuilt system, so please don't insult their intelligence by suggesting something that doesn't address the original question.

that dell looks like a really solid system for a good price

erf said:
SPEAK UP....which would you do?

what are the performance difference between the pentium D's and the x64's?

Well I avoided it in my last response since you said you didn't want another OEM recommendation, but that P4 Dell will trounce the gaming experience of the Alienware. The X2 is definitley a superior chip, but I don't think yourself in a CPU-Limited game w/that rig for awhile.

Oldie said:
Well I avoided it in my last response since you said you didn't want another OEM recommendation, but that P4 Dell will trounce the gaming experience of the Alienware. The X2 is definitley a superior chip, but I don't think yourself in a CPU-Limited game w/that rig for awhile.

yea the X2 will blow the doors of a P-D

SLiLOVER said:
If I got an Alienware I could of gotten an AMD processor.
yeah but do you realize how much more the alienwares are? thats why i'm seriously considering the intel setup.

i mean i'd rather have an intel setup WITH 2gb of RAM, a 20" widescreen and 7800gtx's in SLI than a amd setup with NO MONITOR, 1 7800GT, and 1gb of RAM.

the above mentioned setups are both roughly 2500.00. i'm not sure which i'm going to go with yet.

hmmm try system max pre-builts off tigerdirect there about as good as Alienware and you can get AMD and cheaper too ill find a link for ya

OK, here's what i'm down to, i've got 3 systems configured. 2 AW's and 1 Dell.

AW #1:

AMD 4200X2
1gb pc 3200 RAM
7800GT
80gb HD
16x dvd rom drive
17" lcd

total = $2606.00

pros - dual core ready for future gaming

cons - 1gb RAM, 80gb HD, dvd rom only

AW #2:

AMD 3800+
2gb pc 3200 (4x512 @ 333) :confused:
7800GT
160gb HD
dual layer dvd/rw
17" lcd

pros - 2gb RAM, 160gb HD, dvd/rw

cons - no dual core

total = $2632.00

Dell XPS

Intel Pentium 830D 3.0ghz
2gb ddr2 @ 533
160gb HD
dual drives - 16xdvd,48xcdrw
19" ultrasharp digital lcd
7800GTX

total = 2248.00

pros - dual optical drives, 19" lcd, 7800GTX, price

cons - fucking Intel processor

so there you have it. those are the choices i have it narrowed down to. :(

erf check these guys out frist too
http://www.monarchcomputer.com

that do custom pcs and also shop around see if theres a mom&pop local PC store that can hook you up

other then that get the AW#1
2GB ram is overrated and 80GB isnt bad if you dont download alot

Elios said:
erf check these guys out frist too
http://www.monarchcomputer.com

that do custom pcs and also shop around see if theres a mom&pop local PC store that can hook you up

other then that get the AW#1
2GB ram is overrated and 80GB isnt bad if you dont download alot
well i'm pretty much stuck with alienware or dell. i have approved financing for both..... :( 2000 through dell and 2500 through alienware. thanks for the suggestions though.

In my opinion, the Dell is by far the best choice. The performance loss from the Intel proc will be greatly made up by having twice as much video card in there.

-zac

pr0zac said:
In my opinion, the Dell is by far the best choice. The performance loss from the Intel proc will be greatly made up by having twice as much video card in there.

-zac

a 7800GTX is not 2x a 7800GT you can OC the 7800GT to be just as fast
my vote then is the dual core AW

Like I said before....If you buy a Dell it will be VERY HARD to upgrade it in the future. Their machines are full of stuff youll NEVER see anywhere.
Get the Alienware with the most muscle you can and an ASUS board that will take SLI.
Once you have a few more bucks....sell the 7800GT and buy TWO GTX cards and go crazy..... think about the PSU.....make sure they sell you one that will do SLI or at least have 500+ watts and 34 amp on the 12v..... You can Always upgrade an Alienware quite easily just by opening the side door and using your brain and the manual. The Dell will be much harder!!!! You want to still be able to use this machine AFTER you pay it off!!!! Think about the credit card payments too. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back