my extended pc....

BANKROBBER

n00b
......is getting cramped!
i had a tyan thunder dual cpu mobo,and fancied something different.
a little bit of modding to my case and i managed to get a supermicro H8QM3-2 A+ server board in ;)
running dual 8384 opteron at mo(waiting for fittings),and i will soon add 2 more= 16 core quad cpu system with 32gb ram with sli 9800gx2 gpu.
all on liquid :D
i will add more pics as i get on...

ROB

WP_000162.jpg

.....when they were first out.they will be updated in due course! they perform well enough for 3dsmax.i may even jump to quadro's yet.
i am not really a gamer as such......but i do like to see how it performs overal with gaming/3d/seti type stuff.
the important thing for me,is price.i get most of my stuff secondhand and upgrade when i can.this comp has evolved from an athlonx64 comp with a ti4800 graphics card!
i just picked up 4x 8384 cpu's for $600.....over here you can pay that for one.motherboard £250....a very good saving :D,etc etc.
i will be adding the other 2 cpu's this weekend.......got some plumbing to sort out!

ROB

....after finally getting my comp to boot and load windows7 ultimate x64.
no problem seeing the cpu's but windows only reports as dual cpu in system.
think i need to load server2008 to get all of the system to be utilised :mad:
still,plumbing looks chaotic....but running 21 deg c all over system,so happy bout that!
i will probably make a custom manifold for the water system,less aggro and less pipes!
getting there....

ROB

WP_000202.jpg

WP_000232.jpg

WP_000203.jpg

.....about my comp now.
i had a problem with windows 7 x64 only showing 8 cores....then i had a problem with windows server 2008 r2 showing 16 cores but no sli ! :mad:
as luck would have it i found a 'hybrid' 2008 r2/ windows 7 sp1 that has just given my server 2008 r2 enterprise with 16 cores and quad sli....AWESOME!!!
finally after all the aggro of setting it up....its running.i need to find some benches to give it a try out.....any suggestions?
next install will be 3dstudio max :D

ROB
ScreenShot001.jpg

......things to do,but getting there.
spec;
lian-li modded 'cube' case
supermicro h8qm3-2 a+ server board
4x 8384 opteron quad's (liquid cooled)
8x 2g kingston ddr2 667mhz reg ecc
1500w strider psu
7x hotswap sata drives = 4.2 tb
2x patriot 60gb SSD in raid0
liquid cooled dual 9800gx2 gpu (quad sli)
dell 24" monitor
denivo b/tooth kboard n mouse

need to make a shroud for the rad fans on the r/h side...then i will finaly have a closed case!!!

ROB

WP_000257.jpg

WP_000258.jpg

WP_000256.jpg

WP_000259.jpg

Since you didn't really touch on it why it wouldn't work for people that might not know. Windows (2000, XP, Vista, and 7) Pro/Ultimate only support 1-2 CPU's, but as many cores as you throw at it. So in a quad quad setup like that, it will only see 8 cores (or 2 CPU's).

well,after running this setup now for a few weeks......it hasnt been without its quirks!
i had to redo my ssd raid0 from software sas to hardware sata raid0.the software version onboard uses the cpu0 as its 'buffer' to utilise the memory need for the cache(s). i noticed some 'waiting' whilst rendering in 3dstudio.the 16 cores would process the data then wait before continuing to the next 16 blocks.on my dual quad it would stram through with no stops.maybe the ram?
i am thinking of updating my 9800gx2's....not sure what to go for as yet....quite fancy the quadro6000....all i need i 1 card,and this would free some slots onboard to get a pci ssd card for my c: drive.
limited to 667mhz ram is a pain but in rendering it flies.probrably not the fastest kiddy on the block...but for the money i paid,i am more than satisfied with the setup.
for gaming,its not so good....but being honest,i am crap at games(unless its mame x64 defender!),so i will leave all that to the ps3 :O)
what i really need is someone who knows about the supermicro bios settings....so many but so non descriptive and confusing.maybe i can get it a bit more optimised than it is?
quite fancy trying a 'tesla' card in here too.....hmmm....better get in some overtime!!

ROB

....got round to upgrading the cube now.
i managed to get hold of 4x opteron 8439 hex core cpu = 24 cores @ 2.8ghz
and best of all i got me a pair of EVGA gtx680.....rendering is magnificent....benchmarks are still a little low,but still not a gamer :D

ROB

Nice setup. I already bought the board, cpus, hdd and the case. Can you give me some specifications what psu did you use and the wattercooling setup in detail. I am building this machine as a 3d workstation and video editing (cinema 4d and after effects). Give me some advice if you can. :)

hi all,
not been on for a while!!
i shut down my comp when i went on holiday....came back and powered on.....nothing.looks like the mobo has fried.
i tested all the other stuff on anothe setup to make sure,etc
so i thought sod it....just got me a dual xeon mobo and 2 xeon 2687w's to play on!
its so fast.....amazing at rendering and awesome at gaming....well i am not a gamer but 'black ops 2' looks awesome.best bit is.....i was rendering in 3d studio while i was playing it and it never stuttered once!!!
anyway....i have managed to get another motherboard and i will be selling that and the 4x opteron cpu's soon + the EK waterblocks + 32gb ddr ecc ram.
i use a 1500w toughpower psu and the quad cpu was using 650W idle and my new setup is using 430w.....but that is with the dual gtx680's at mo.it will rise a bit when the 690's go in :(

ROB

couple of pics
WP_002112_zps39aed02f.jpg
WP_002112_zps39aed02f.jpg
http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh322/BANKROBBER_01/WP_002122_zps311b9a2b.jpghttp://i544.photobucket.com/albums/hh322/BANKROBBER_01/WP_002123_zpsd97dcb37.jpg
ROB

omg that's sick! You make an i7 990x look like its standing still. What in the world are you doing/working on that you need a rig like that??

You shouldn't need to upgrade for what.... 10 year? lol

omg that's sick! You make an i7 990x look like its standing still. What in the world are you doing/working on that you need a rig like that??

You shouldn't need to upgrade for what.... 10 year? lol

the 990x was launched Q1'11 ...
the server variant went up to what 3.2ghz... and his 2p here is 3.2x faster than that generation of 2p rigs.

Depending on the performance spectrum he likes to sit in... 2-3 yrs /upgrade.

Back