my dremel=crap

st4rk

Gawd
I got this minipc that has 2 loud ass 40-50 mm fans in it. So I was going to cut out fan holes on the sides.

The sides are made of aluminum. I got out the dremel, and put it at full speed. I used one of those disc cutters. While cutting, one of them broke and sharp pieces of the cutter came flying out everywhere. Second one I don't press so hard, but the damn thing still won't even cut through the aluminum! Instead it just slowly grinds away the aluminum, at that pace it would take nearly and hour just to cut one hole.

Is this normal for a dremel to suck so badly on aluminum? What else could I use??

i just got my dremel multi pro the other day and i did break one standard cutting disc but i had no problems cutting a hole in my pc 65 for another rear 80mm fan i also cut a hole in an old steel case without a problem took 2-3mins to do each hole,you have to learn how to cut into the metal properly,i found it best to cut into it slightly then along.persvere and you should get great results,im definatly going to get some of the reinforced cutting discs though.but all in all im really impressed with this multitool and its really handy to have in the house,eg replacing a bathroom tile,door lock etc

If your not seeing sparks fly then your not pressing hard enought.

Take your time, put a bit of downward pressure but not too much and let the tool do the job. May take you an hour and 2 cut off discs but you will get to the end.

David

Oh, and another tip. When you cut, make sure you cut in a direction so the disk is spinning away from the sharp edge. When you cut, when you go one way dust flies up, but the other way the dust flies (mostly) down. I know it's confusing when I say it, so an example:

If you are cutting, and the disk is spinning counterclockwise (from the bottom, your view), cut the hole going left, counterclockwise as well. If you go the other way, the disk will catch on the metal, and break itself into pieces.

get yo self one of these:

DSCF1405.jpg

disk marked USA 45,000
I found them at a flea circus in Florida for a buck each. They got some fiberglass looking stuff melded into them. I cut a 120mm and a pair of 80mm holes and the disk is still the same size.

ThE sHaDoW

Why doesnt anyone buy one of those electric "nibbler" things. I cant rember the real name for them, but they work very nicely and get things done fast.

Back