my documents folder

nomak

Limp Gawd
I recently copied all my files and folders from my xp pro machine to a external HDD and then copied them overwriting the old documents folder on my new vsta ultimate machine through the way of C:users/myname.. instead of opening the documents folder and copying my files directly in there.. so I go to check that all files were copied on the new vista machine and they werent.. all files got copied but not to where I wanted them..the music and pictures folder got copied outside of the documents folder into the existing music and pictures folder already on the vista machine.. this isnt a problem but I am curious as to why this did this.. I dont remeber telling it to copy to a different location at anytime during the process. just a few copy existing file with new prompts and thats it.. thanks..

I don't have an answer to why, but each and everytime I see a thread like this, I am glad I don't bother using any of those "my" folders. I don't know how your drive situation is, but if you keep a second physical drive for data storage, you don't ever run into these quirky issues. People groan and try to say it is easier to use those folders, but that just isn't the case. There's never been a reason to "need" those folders.

because Users\Name has different folder direcotries then in XP.

in xp you had Doc and Settings\Name\My Documents\My Music or My Pictures etc

in Vista you have Users\Name\Documents and then My Music is actually Users\Name\Music

because Users\Name has different folder direcotries then in XP.

in xp you had Doc and Settings\Name\My Documents\My Music or My Pictures etc

in Vista you have Users\Name\Documents and then My Music is actually Users\Name\Music

yeah I see your what your saying there but I told it to copy the entire directory of my documents from XP into my user directory overwriting the my documents directory in vista.. it shouldnt changed the paths on its own with out my specifying it to do so should it ??

Back