My cooling plan.

Bbq

King of Charts
So after some discussion with a few people (LadyMakoFox and J-M-E), the final proposal is:

diagramcq0zt3.jpg

Thanks LadyMakoFox and J-M-E for drawing.

Basicly, it's a cheap processor, cheap motherboard, and no heatsink. It'll be cooled by a Car turbo. There's probubly a better way of doing this, but that's no fun.

My goal is to get it to post, load up windows, and a picture of it with [H] on it. And a Video of it.

Hardware:
Cheapo Prescott Celeron 775 (I know, a prescott. That's part of the fun) Got it
Some no-name board from ebay Got it
maybe a 128mb of DDR2, whatever's cheapest.
A car turbo.

Total cost of hardware so far: $40

the prescott makes it more fun.

jbmx4life said:
How are you spinning the turbo?

We are going to use my 3hp air compressor to spin it up. Oh, and magic too.

(We = me)

No, just get cooled by a turbo.

Rofl-mc-lofl, you can be assured there will be at least one vtec sticker.

Turbos are the ones that need the cooling lol.

Just funny the air compressor air directly to the cpu heatsink.

Arcygenical said:
Screw the turbo. GO direct die with the air compressor.

LMAO.... that would work better. A 3hp compressor isn't nearly powerful enough to spin a turbo fast enough to make it work, and if it did the turbo woud heat the air. I know you said this isn't a joke.... but come on ;) It's going to look cool, but just using the compressor by itself would allow the cpu a few more seconds of life before it burns up.
:D

Don't take this post wrong..... I love stuff like this.... kinda like sticking the wires from 12v fans in a wall outlet :eek:

Are you guys sure that the turbo would heat up like ya'll are thinking? It's not being powered by the multihundred degree exhaust of a car engine, just a bit of room temp air from a compressor tank.

boshuter said:
Don't take this post wrong..... I love stuff like this.... kinda like sticking the wires from 12v fans in a wall outlet :eek:

Is that something you did? and how did it turn out. (NO I'm not trying it)

ryan_975 said:
Is that something you did? and how did it turn out. (NO I'm not trying it)

Sure did :D Also tried it with a couple of small 12v motors out of slot cars...... some of them just go up in a puff of smoke, but some will run a few seconds at unbelievable speeds.... scream like a banshee :eek:

I don't recommend trying it though, certainly not on anything you want to keep... and if you do (hehehe) wire a regular wall plug to the fan wires so you don't get burned if the wires fry when you plug it in. ;)

boshuter said:
LMAO.... that would work better. A 3hp compressor isn't nearly powerful enough to spin a turbo fast enough to make it work, and if it did the turbo woud heat the air. I know you said this isn't a joke.... but come on ;) It's going to look cool, but just using the compressor by itself would allow the cpu a few more seconds of life before it burns up.
:D

Yea what he said the turbo is just going to spin with the air provided, it is not going to really cool anything. It is basically like you blowing into a fan, you are going to spin the fan with hot air, and is not going to come out any cooler.

Oh and i bolded something above that i quoted. This can be done, run 10 fans in a series, and it will work.

Also this is not a thread crap, just telling you what i think.

Have to see how this turns out. But be warned air from air compressors gets hot after a few minutes

I good ole leaf blower will give you a LOT more CFM than an air compressor.

Hmm, you are recommending leaf blower >> turbo >> heatsinkless pressy?

Either way, this will have to wait for a while. the board is DOA, I don't have any DDR2, and I'm just busy.

Leaf blower would be better/easyer to do this with. The turbo might overheat because its made to compress the air instead of spitting it out as fast as it can so the parts in the turbo are very tight and create a lot of friction. Leaf blowers are made to... blow the air not compress it like a turbo is made to do. Also vtec has nothing to do with turbo.

(waiting for the condensation)

Won't the compressor start spitting out water after a while? Also, without any type of heatsink this will last all of 0.1 seconds before the porcessor burnas out.

Cool idea in theory (will look cool), but a waste of cheap components and a good pirate hat. :p

Won't the compressor start spitting out water after a while? Also, without any type of heatsink this will last all of 0.1 seconds before the porcessor burnas out.

Cool idea in theory (will look cool), but a waste of cheap components and a good pirate hat. :p

The heatsink is there just to make a larger surface area to dissipate heat faster. If there's a cold enough temperature and enough airflow then a heatsink isn't required, But for this project, I doubt the air will be cold enough to accomplish that.

how are you going to get oil into the turbo? If you know anything about turbocahrgers they need oil. Oil feed and Oil Return. Not trying to flame but your knowledge is weak on the behalf of trying to run a turbo.

If you think an air compressor is going to spin the turbine without damaging it with no lubrication. your SOL.

I figured that much. I will find a way, once this project starts getting underway again. I'll probubly end up leaf blower'ing it. Plenty of time to figure things out.

use pennies and thermal paste for the heatsink.

leaf blower->turbo->pennies.

ftw.

a car turbo, that´s err.. how can i say it without hurting your feelings ... hmm, that´s unusual, but hey it might work, hehe... yeah right. I want to see that monster working !!!

how are you going to get oil into the turbo? If you know anything about turbocahrgers they need oil. Oil feed and Oil Return. Not trying to flame but your knowledge is weak on the behalf of trying to run a turbo.

If you think an air compressor is going to spin the turbine without damaging it with no lubrication. your SOL.

Untrue. I know this is project is just for fun or laughs, cause I dont think it would work no matter what you used to spin the turbo. However, alot of people run turbos without any cooling. Alot of people run high HP track cars without cooling. You may need to do alittle research before ripping on other people for lack of knowledge

Untrue. I know this is project is just for fun or laughs, cause I dont think it would work no matter what you used to spin the turbo. However, alot of people run turbos without any cooling. Alot of people run high HP track cars without cooling. You may need to do alittle research before ripping on other people for lack of knowledge

I think he was talking about a lubrication problem not a cooling problem. Air cooling a turbo is one thing but air lubricating is another. ;)

Anyway, just leaf blower it.

you are right, my bad i misread it(I realized this after I wrote it and hoped noone would correct me ;)). I think you could just drop some oil on it every once in a while to lube it. It wouldnt be spinning crazy fast like a regular turbo

Back