My computer says mine isn't overclocked, but everest does

adobian

Limp Gawd
Hello all,

I have a q6600 that have been overclocked at 3.6 Ghz on an Asus P5K-E/Wifi. It's been good for a year or so, however, in the recent hot days, it crashes, so I had to set the bios back to default, and I had to clean out the CPU and put new thermal compound, then I overclocked in the BIOS as before. However, i think I must have some different settings from before.

The Bios now shows about 51C degrees at start up, Idle, In windows, Everest shows CPU to be at 41C-43C idle while CPU cores are about 56C. This is probably normal. One thing I noticed is that even though Everest shows everything as overclocked and temperatures indicate so, and benchmarks also indicate so, when I do a "properties" on "my computer" I get "Q6600 @2.4Ghz 2.39Ghz" . This second number used to be 3.6Ghz for a long while.

Thanks for any pointer. I have a friend who looked at this a said something wrong with my PC. I know there is nothing wrong with it, but it's hard to convince a friend.

Use CPU-Z to find out your actual CPU speed. That will tell you for sure whether or not you're overclocked.

I'm assuming you have Windows VISTA because when you go to properties in VISTA, it doesn't tell you the correct clock speeds. For instance my Core i7 is currently at 4ghz, while Windows properties still claims it is at 2.67ghz. Another note to add is that cpu-z has a function that often makes it appear that your computer is slower in "GHZ," than it actually is because of the new Intel multi-cores have a "slow-down" technology that activates when no resources are being used. It increases back to your O.C.'d clock speeds when you are indeed using resources though.

Hope that helps!

OK I will try CPU-z tonight. Yes I am using Vista 64 bit. It has correctly displayed the speed of 3.6Ghz until now. I have speed step disabled in the BIOS.

Oh that strange. My Windows welcome Center never displayed properly so I wouldn't be of help. This is how mine looks like.
Untitled-8.jpg

There must be some throttling going on, your voltage is showing 1.072V. I'd find it difficult to accept seeing an i7 at 4ghz far below stock voltage.

Check your bios for powersaving options and turn them off.

To Crispy002 well my Core Voltage is usually at 1.17 to 1.20. When my computer is idle, it sits around 1.09 Core voltage and what not. It just happened to be at its lowest point when i screen captured. LoL. Since I don't have any stability issues, I have speedstep enabled which explains my fluctuating core voltage. Sorry for the confusion.

Vista assumes that you're using your stock multiplier. That's why it sometimes reports the CPU speed inaccurately when the chip is overclocked but the multiplier has been raised or lowered.

Don't use Vista's info; it's inaccurate. My Q6600 is OC'd to 3.2GHz (8x400) but vista is showing it at 3.6

69877051.jpg

I realized that both myself and epicjas0n's screenshots are "Windows Experience Index: UNRATED"I think if you actually use their "Windows Rating Index" system, it actually updates to the proper clock speed.

Its just a bug with how windows displays the speed when you drop the multiplier. Default multiplier is x9.0 and you are running x8.0 Windows doesn't know and just takes the default multiplier x fsb.

CPU-z says mine is running at 3.6GHZ as well. Its' frustrating that Vista has been displaying correcting, now it doesn't any more.

Back