my computer, my documents & my network places keep renaming themselves back

ug_rulz_all

Limp Gawd
i try to rename those three items but they keep restoring their original name

any reason as to why theyre doing this?

Which Windozes are you useing.
I do that all the time useing XP Pro and never had them revert.
Then again I tend to rename everything.

Luck......... :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif

Let me guess... You have an Nvidia video card, right?
I had this problem too.
Just disable the "NVIDIA Display Driver Service" from the Services option in your Administrative Tools.
Don't worry, all that service does is provide "Desktop support" for your Nvidia card, which means that it just takes up memory and screws with your icons. :rolleyes:
After disabling it, just reboot. Now you should be able to change the names of your desktop icons to whatever you want without them changing back.
If you have any problems after disabling the service, just re-enable it and reboot again. But trust me, I doubt that you will...

well, manually renaming them through the registry editor seems to have fixed it too, but since i hardly use that service, ill disable it anyway just to free up the ram if anything (but it wouldnt matter much since i have 768mb)

thanks

sorry to bump this but i noticed a problem that i hadnt noticed before after applying eidolon's fix. granted it did fix the icons from renaming themselves, but now i cant seem to force refresh rates anymore, whereas before i was able to do that fine. games always run at 60hz when they should be running at 85. i may have to completely uninstall the current drivers and install whatever the newest version is unless one of you knows another way to fix that problem

ug_rulz_all, have you enabled Refresh Override under dxdiag (direct x diagnostics). This will allow you to override the DX 60 Hz 'bug'

BillLeeLee said:
ug_rulz_all, have you enabled Refresh Override under dxdiag (direct x diagnostics). This will allow you to override the DX 60 Hz 'bug'
i suppose i will

also, upon further observation, the 60hz bug only affects steam - funny when you consider that in the past it worked fine at 85hz

ug_rulz_all said:
i suppose i will

also, upon further observation, the 60hz bug only affects steam - funny when you consider that in the past it worked fine at 85hz
A bug in Steam! No way! It's such a stable piece of sh... I mean... software. :rolleyes:

Frankly I was a bit worried when I saw your post about forcing the refresh rates because I wasn't having that problem. But I uninstalled Steam about 3 months ago, so that would explain it. The moral of that story... Steam sucks. Yeah, I said it. :p

Unshare your PRINTER...I just went through this exact same BS on a business computer....NVM I thought you had said NETWORK renaming...not network places...

Back