my computer heats my house

UnfaTeFuL

Limp Gawd
I have been considering water cooling my computer. The air it blows out is like hot steam and should be considered dangerous to wave your arm through it. The CPU temp is 55C with 49C system when it first boots up on a cold day.

Beside lowering my CPU temp, will it lower the overall temp of air going out?

It may lower the temperature of your air coming out, but that can also be done by increasing fan flow- it won't give the results you're hoping for. The CPU is still consuming the same amount of power so regardless of what cooling solution you use, the same amount of heat is still goingt o be put into your room. No, watercooling will not cool your room/house.

Watercooling will actually add to the total hear produced. However, it will remove heat from the processor, and if an external setup will remove heat from the case as well. In an air setup the CPU heat is transferred to the heatsink, which transfers it to the case air, which is eventually exhausted. With water you will have the heat move from the CPU to the water system and dump to the outside air without increasing your case temps. end result should be better cooling of your CPU and a lower case temp since the CPU heat is not being dumped into the open air in the case.

zer0signal667 said:
No, watercooling will not cool your room/house.
what if you WATER cool your room????
lol heheh copper pipes running up and down the walls...and fans in the window with a rad....that be kewl to see
LOL!

Why not just watercool your skin? All you would need to do is get some soft copper tubing and thermal epoxy and glue the tubing to the parts of the body that need cooling. Then you could get a pump/radiator/fans and a battery to power it all and you'd be in business!!!!

WuTangClam said:
Why not just watercool your skin? All you would need to do is get some soft copper tubing and thermal epoxy and glue the tubing to the parts of the body that need cooling. Then you could get a pump/radiator/fans and a battery to power it all and you'd be in business!!!!

NASA uses liquid cooled "undies" to keep astronauts cool during EVA, IIRC.

As for liquid cooling skin on earth, just use a spray bottle. ;)

AggieMEEN said:
NASA uses liquid cooled "undies" to keep astronauts cool during EVA, IIRC.

As for liquid cooling skin on earth, just use a spray bottle. ;)

Yeah, but you can't overlock as high with evaporative cooling, plus you have to keep spraying it on.

WuTangClam said:
Yeah, but you can't overlock as high with evaporative cooling, plus you have to keep spraying it on.

Yes, very important if you want to speed up your thought process :D

Evaporative cooling will get to sub-ambient which a radiator will not.

WuTangClam said:

You could always also try doing this thing called sweating. I know its not all FANCY and all and it probably wont get you any extra points on the babe-o-magnet scale but its free and easy to install ;)

I think that total immersion would work better as very soon you would not notice how hot/ cold you where.

Luck....... :D

Back on topic, LOL!, if your room has a window how about running your cooling lines and a 12v power line outside and mounting the radiator on an outside wall. Obviously the 12v couldn't come from the PC (too much resistance in the length of cable) but you can get those wallwarts for real cheap. Also I think a rather strong pump would be required but this will take loads of heat out of the room. You could do your GFX, HD's, RAM and PSU (does anywhere still do these?) too. It would be rather expensive but the only noise would be from the hd's, cd and pump.

RebornPhoenix said:
Back on topic, LOL!, if your room has a window how about running your cooling lines and a 12v power line outside and mounting the radiator on an outside wall. Obviously the 12v couldn't come from the PC (too much resistance in the length of cable) but you can get those wallwarts for real cheap. Also I think a rather strong pump would be required but this will take loads of heat out of the room. You could do your GFX, HD's, RAM and PSU (does anywhere still do these?) too. It would be rather expensive but the only noise would be from the hd's, cd and pump.

Outdoor radiator? Sure, it would work. But (and there's always one of these, it seems) you'll have to take into account ambient air temperature, and the wear and tear of the weather.

Is the air outside cool enough such that you don't need any fans?

Also consider the joys of animal life. Last thing you'd need is to have a colony of bees or hornets/wasps set up shop on your nice, warm radiator.

There was one fellow, can't remember his name, that buried a long loop of copper pipe in his back yard. No fans were needed, as the ground maintained a steady low temperature. Does anyone have the link to that?

Ambient temperature would be a problem especially if its a black radiator and its sunny. Some kind of replective shroud would be required. With fans I don't think any animals would come too close ;) I would recommend sucking through radiator rather than blowing so minced flies etc dont get stuck in small pieces. If its propped fairly close to the wall then with the fans on the outside then I doubt much would try to enter it.

________ <- Shroud
| _____
| | | |
| | | | <-Fan ------------------->Airflow
| |_|_|
| ^Radiator
|
| <-Wall

LOL @ my crappy text art

my CPU temp nears 70C when active (during war3 or city of heroes).

It's not even overclocked.

check your local newspaper ads or ebay and get a cheap Air Conditonning unit.
make a duct directly into your PC case.

Nah i was thinking about making the floor in my basement into a res and then having valves coming outta the floor for comps when people come over for lan parties and of course have it cooled and a clear floor put over it!!!! :eek:

DemonDiablo said:
You could always also try doing this thing called sweating. I know its not all FANCY and all and it probably wont get you any extra points on the babe-o-magnet scale but its free and easy to install ;)

LOL. had to comment on this one. I have a problem, I cannot sweat until I am ready to pass out from heat exhaustion. I was in the hospital once last summer and almolst went many more times. the only thing that kept me from going is using a mist spray bottle of water on me continuously.

Back