"My Computer" Hangs

-(Xyphox)-

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok Here is another strange issue and the things I've tried so far to fix it....
Its a dell Inspiron 1501 Laptop with Windows Xp Home sp3 with all updates
Everything seems to be working on the laptop but when you click on "My Computer"
Either from desktop, start bar or explorer it takes a minute to load. The flashlight will
move back and forth for a minute then it will open and work just fine. If you open My Music
Or My Pictures those come up normal.
I've Ran SAS, Malware Bytes, Spybot, and Avast all in safemod with latest def's. All Clean
Did a chkdsk /r twice from recovery console and that is fine. I've ran sfc /scannow,
Anyone have any other ideas on what could be causing this??:confused:

Silly question, but have you tried taking the CD out of the drive? (If there is any)

All the machines I worked out will hang or take a minute while the CD spins up.

I've seen that happen if an external drve is attached that has gone to sleep. Explorer waits for the drive to spin up before displaying anything.

Yeah something is timing out. Do you have ANY extra icons in my computer?

Leftover shared folders from Windows Live Messenger 8? Virtual CD drives? Shell extension for one of the drives?

I've Ran SAS...,

Actually now that I think about it I have had problems with SAS hanging things on my machine. I have 2 lifetime subscriptions for the pro and am not currently running them because of issues like this. The recent versions add a shell extension that slowed my right click badly and made things open slowly. If you get desperate enough to try it you may want to remove it and see if it helps.

Actually now that I think about it I have had problems with SAS hanging things on my machine. I have 2 lifetime subscriptions for the pro and am not currently running them because of issues like this. The recent versions add a shell extension that slowed my right click badly and made things open slowly. If you get desperate enough to try it you may want to remove it and see if it helps.

I am at that state, it was doing it before i installed SAS but it wont hurt to try

Yeah something is timing out. Do you have ANY extra icons in my computer?

I'm still in agreement with this but it is still a matter of what...

Maybe post a screenshot of your My Computer window once it does open to see if anyone can spot what is going on?

I'm still in agreement with this but it is still a matter of what...

Maybe post a screenshot of your My Computer window once it does open to see if anyone can spot what is going on?

The laptop is at work, so I post some screen shots monday morning and try to remove the cd rom and see what that does

Back