Well, my MB died in my Northwood setup a couple of days ago. Won't post at all. Bummer! The good thing is now I'm in the market to upgrade. Good, except for the timing. I had planned on upgrading to Conroe later this year, once the initial Conroe launch "dust" had settled down a bit.
I'm looking at the E6600, since it seems to be the best bang for the buck at the moment. But I also need MB/Video Card/Memory. Since I have done very research on these items, I need some help (advice).
I'm currently looking at the following:
- ASUS P5W DH Deluxe MB. Expensive, lots of extra bells and whistles. But it seems to have the best overclocking abilities (which I plan on doing) from what I have seen on comparative reviews.
- ATI (or other OEM) X1800XT or X1900XT video card. The 1800 is relatively cheap right now, and the 1900 doesn't seem to offer enough of an advantage over the 1800. I'm looking at ATI simply because that is what I've had for quite awhile and I've been happy with their cards. I do play some games, but I certainly don't need the fastest. Crossfire is not needed.
- 2 GB of Corsair XMS2 PC2 6400. Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145034 Anything better/faster seems to get quite expensive.
I'm pretty set on the MB and Vid card (1800/1900 opinions are very welcome). Other suggestions are very welcome, tho
I'm clueless on the memory, tho. Opinions/alternatives would be appreciated.
Also, since I want to get back up and running again (I'm doing this on a VERY old Dell Piii-1000!!!) quickly, I plan on getting an Intel 805. Very cheap and will allow me to upgrade the BIOS for Conroe compatibility, if I need to. Also, it might be awhile until I can actually order an E6600...
I realize that this post could be split over a couple forums, but I hope the video/memory gurus peruse this forum, also.
And, FWIW, the remaining components from my "dead" system are adequate for a new system. For example, my PSU is a Seasonic S12 600.
Jim
I'm looking at the E6600, since it seems to be the best bang for the buck at the moment. But I also need MB/Video Card/Memory. Since I have done very research on these items, I need some help (advice).
I'm currently looking at the following:
- ASUS P5W DH Deluxe MB. Expensive, lots of extra bells and whistles. But it seems to have the best overclocking abilities (which I plan on doing) from what I have seen on comparative reviews.
- ATI (or other OEM) X1800XT or X1900XT video card. The 1800 is relatively cheap right now, and the 1900 doesn't seem to offer enough of an advantage over the 1800. I'm looking at ATI simply because that is what I've had for quite awhile and I've been happy with their cards. I do play some games, but I certainly don't need the fastest. Crossfire is not needed.
- 2 GB of Corsair XMS2 PC2 6400. Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145034 Anything better/faster seems to get quite expensive.
I'm pretty set on the MB and Vid card (1800/1900 opinions are very welcome). Other suggestions are very welcome, tho
I'm clueless on the memory, tho. Opinions/alternatives would be appreciated.
Also, since I want to get back up and running again (I'm doing this on a VERY old Dell Piii-1000!!!) quickly, I plan on getting an Intel 805. Very cheap and will allow me to upgrade the BIOS for Conroe compatibility, if I need to. Also, it might be awhile until I can actually order an E6600...
I realize that this post could be split over a couple forums, but I hope the video/memory gurus peruse this forum, also.
And, FWIW, the remaining components from my "dead" system are adequate for a new system. For example, my PSU is a Seasonic S12 600.
Jim