My computer and Counter strike Source

Far

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 19, 2005
Messages
64
ok im at the end of the rope and i dont know what to do anymore....i can tell if its the game or my computer.....

specs:

320GB WD 7200 rpm hard drive
7800gtx 495/1300 with the fatal1ty gpu cooler on it
550 watt coolmax PSU
ASUS P5GL MX socket T lga 775 micro atx mobo
3.4 GHZ LGA 775 prescott intel processor
2 gb PQI Turbo RAM (2x 1gb)


in my opinion that should pretty much run any game.....

in source with everything on LOW and dxlevel 70 im still get around 60-70 FPS.....on all settings on high i get around 50......ive tweaked and tweak so many times...i even have my own config that has every "boosting fps" config i could find on the internet and i still cant get anywhere.....

whats choking it? is it my motherboard??? what should i change in my set up...becuase i know people that play source that have much much worse gfx cards then i do and get 100+ fps in game....i should be getting around 300 fps.....

HELP!!!!!!

-far

ps. ive been dealing with this for awhile and this is NOT normal for my set up...i built this to play games flawlessly and....so far its horrible....my 9300 laptop from dell performed better...
 
What resolution are you playing at? The CPU will be a bottleneck at lower resolutions, but if you crank up the resolution, it should become GPU limited.
 
man..this machine is no new too......arggg


so what do u suggest....

sell my mobo and cpu and go amd?? dual core or soemthin........maybe i can sell my 3.4 and p5gl mobo on here.....but yea if i went amd i should be fine right?
 
you/we havent isolated the problem here and i wouldnt advise you speding xxx amount of money on a new system so quickly...as asked before what resolution do you play at and can you monitor the temp of your card/cpu and other essential hardware...does it only happen on source? are your clocks lowered? etc etc

theres some more things to check that will rule out quite a few things but ill ask you again once i get some feedback :)
 
a number fo problems could be present, not info info :p

post your current video drivers, results for your power supplys rails at idle and at load, temperatures, clocks on your card, and make sure the cooler and stuff are making proper contact with the card
 
Your comp is way more than powerful enough to play CSS. Did you remember to install your chipset and video drivers?
 
RavenD said:
What resolution are you playing at? The CPU will be a bottleneck at lower resolutions, but if you crank up the resolution, it should become GPU limited.

True, running it at 1600x1200 should be better because that puts more stress on the video card instead of the CPU.
 
The interesting thing is that the machine didn't use to run like this. For 2 months prior to this the machine ran as I thought it would, cs source, FEAR, and BF2 ran very well. The machine was taken apart to add some fans to the case and I put some sleeving on the psu. Put the machine back together, downloaded the latest cs:s updates, and I got this very nasty surprise.

I know I have the chipset and video drivers obviously. And I thought that lowering the direct x level to 7 would help my crappy fps.

I don't know my cpu's temperatures under load. GPU temps never go above 40 under any amount of stress, and it's clocked at 495/1315 using rivatuner.

I don't know my "results for my power supply rails."

81.95 forceware or something like that.
 
Far said:
ok im at the end of the rope and i dont know what to do anymore....i can tell if its the game or my computer.....

specs:

320GB WD 7200 rpm hard drive
7800gtx 495/1300 with the fatal1ty gpu cooler on it
550 watt coolmax PSU
ASUS P5GL MX socket T lga 775 micro atx mobo
3.4 GHZ LGA 775 prescott intel processor
2 gb PQI Turbo RAM (2x 1gb)


in my opinion that should pretty much run any game.....

in source with everything on LOW and dxlevel 70 im still get around 60-70 FPS.....on all settings on high i get around 50......ive tweaked and tweak so many times...i even have my own config that has every "boosting fps" config i could find on the internet and i still cant get anywhere.....

whats choking it? is it my motherboard??? what should i change in my set up...becuase i know people that play source that have much much worse gfx cards then i do and get 100+ fps in game....i should be getting around 300 fps.....

HELP!!!!!!

-far

ps. ive been dealing with this for awhile and this is NOT normal for my set up...i built this to play games flawlessly and....so far its horrible....my 9300 laptop from dell performed better...


has it just happened since the new update? nvidia has a fix out for the new steam update that put HDR into maps...fvcks with some nvidia cards or whatever.
 
and where do i find this? that might fix my fps problem...worth a shot i suppose

looked around the nvidia site...but do u have a quick link?
 
Your computer should be running it fine, with my processor at stock I still get a constant 80 fps with it dropping to 50 only in the most intense levels. Troubleshoot your problem fully before you decide to upgrade. Try running the game with your driver settings set to defaults, everything high in the game and vysync off, 4xaa 8xaf at least, and run the source stress test. I acutally get more fps with AF on than with bilnear and trilinear filtering.
 
alright...well since i have intel its best to go amd anyway since im a gamer and goin to quakecon and all that...so heres the new plan and i need to know from u guys if this will work....aight here it goes...


im selling both the mobo and processor for 250 (3.4ghz/asus p5gl-mx/with zalman heatsink)

with that im going to get the AMD 4000+ clawhammer and attempt to overlock to around 2.8.....all over this will be going into an X-Q pack and heres the plan....

cpu-tri-22.jpg


And on top of that, using the clips it comes with, mount the Vantec Tornado 92mm high output fan blowing downwards to cool the fins.

Vantec_Tornado.jpg


^^^ 119 CFM blowing straight down on the xp-90c. I'm hoping that will stay cool enough to overclock.



now heres the tricky part....becuase its going in an xq-pack i might have to cut some of the structure off near the 120mm fan....how bad will that make the stability of it?
So i need to know from you guys if im on the right track with my thought processes here.....first off with that xp-90c and the tornado pushing 119cfm will i be able to cool the 4000+claw to 2.8??? ive read that its possible to get that high with air cooling and i think that set up will be the trick....

thanks
 
then ill flip out....alright anyway


my.php



what we plan to do here is to cut the inner part of the structure to make room for the xp-90....once we get the mobo in we can fit it in place from the top.....


or....

my.php


^^^ get 2 rods like that...and cuz away the entire beam that goes from where u mount the hard drive to the 120MM fan...and replace that area with 2 rods extending from one side of the case to the other much like the pic above...just on both sides....

suggestions? i want ureal frames in games...and this seems like the way to go....
 
Wow guy.You are going to waste more money on new pc parts when you just built a ~1000 machine.Sigh I wish I had money liek that to throw around.Did you try UNINSTALLING ALL you drivers with driver cleaner?Maybe you did something wrong.Are all your parts on default speed?Are your bios options in order?Id reset the CMOS and reinstall all my drivers b4 I'd throw down even more money.You already have a nice rig dude.
 
Do NOT spend money if you don't have to dude! Your rig should own CSS. I play DoD:S on High settings with vsync and 2x AA and 4x AF with the rig in my sig, and it's way past playable. Your problems are no where near hardware related.

I suggest backing up necessary data, and then wiping the hard drive and reinstalling windows. (while you're doing this, use windows setup to create a partition and throw all your backup data on this new partition. That way, anytime you get pissed off, you can just format your C: drive again and not worry about backing up anything, it's what I do)

Get your card drivers from here: http://www.tweaksrus.com/ (these improved my scores in benchmarks and FPS in games)

Install chipset drivers, then gpu, and then everything else. Be sure you reboot in between each one. Then install steam and let it download everything. Then defrag. Then reboot, and play your games.

Currently, how many processes do you have running? Do you spyware check often? Do you have a fully updated anti-virus? Do you use IE as your primary browser? Trust us, HARDWARE is NOT your problem at all. Yes, AMD is better in games, but no where near better enough to warrant another $400 out the door.
 
It sounds like a driver problem.Ive been noticing a big decrease in performance on my pc in games.Well I reinstalled my chipset and vid card cards.First I UNINSTALLED with drivercleaner and reinstalled 1 then rebooted and reinstalled the other then rebooted.Wow I got like a 10+ FPS gain in my games,primarily CS:S.
 
Also, if you are using onboard sound, use lowest quality sound and stereo. That should help alot if you are cpu limited.
 
I found this kind of humorous. Apparently my computer is getting worse as time goes by... Things are getting desperate.

I did a full reformat of the pc. Cleared it off to start with a new slate. Ran Cs:s to see if it worked, and as I had expected and prepared myself for: no changes whatsoever.

So today I decided to run a few benchmarks. Previously 3d mark 05 was getting 7200, that was around August and September, when I had no problems. When source started acting up, I ran 3d mark to see if things were bad and got 6800. Lower than before, but still respectable.

Today I ran 3d mark, and actually witnessed it say 0 fps in a few places. Highest fps I saw through the whole test was 6. End score was 1036.

After that I ran PCMark05, just to further humor myself. End score was higher than I expected, at a whopping 2872...

I know I have all drivers installed. Things are getting worse.

Here are 2 screenshots to prove the results. I have also running CPU-Z to show the processor speed, and the 7800gtx control panel to show temperatures and prove that's the card I'm using. I tried to run a new program I found called Smartguardian, but I'm pretty sure its incorrect, as you can see.

http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wtfpwnt3zv.jpg

http://img513.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wowpwnt9fz.jpg


any thoughts?
 
sniperchicken said:
try using one monitor?

no, its fine with 2




so whoever was tellin me its not hardware...what is it now??? cuz im really really confused....i think ill just get a new mobo and go with the 3700+....that should fix all problems right?
 
Far said:
i think ill just get a new mobo and go with the 3700+....that should fix all problems right?

Dont count on it...your not even sure what the problem is yet. From what i see your computer should handle cs:s with ease. What nvidia drivers are you using currently when you ran pcmark?
 
Far said:
no, its fine with 2




so whoever was tellin me its not hardware...what is it now??? cuz im really really confused....i think ill just get a new mobo and go with the 3700+....that should fix all problems right?

nope, we have a case of user error here, in some form or another. Your PC owns CSS... spend money if you must, but hardware is not the problem at all.
 
Well, I remember hearing things about the 550's throttling. What heatsink and thermal goop do you have on it? 288 sounds hot to me, that's 142° Celcius. Far too hot. I don't think SmartGuardian is lying, well, just not very accurate. Download speedfan or NVtune. Then check the temps with that. You may just be overheating.
 
Nobody in their right mind would use a Tornado for everyday use...good god bring on the ear plugs

AND YOU GUYS GET OVER YOURSELVES...THIS IS NOT A CPU BOTTLENECK

Intel might not be very savy in game perf. but no way in HELL it would be limited like that
 
SSlaytanic said:
just get amd.
About what it boils down to. Try to get as much $ off that 550 and mobo. Though I really think you may have permanently damaged the processor because 288° F is way too damn hot.
 
chinesepiratefood said:
Nobody in their right mind would use a Tornado for everyday use...good god bring on the ear plugs

AND YOU GUYS GET OVER YOURSELVES...THIS IS NOT A CPU BOTTLENECK

Intel might not be very savy in game perf. but no way in HELL it would be limited like that

I agree, there is no way that the cpu is limiting the computer. The specs are stellar and the whole computer consists of newer technology. There has to be a software problem... Telling him to go to an AMD processor is going to show little changes cause guess what... IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH SOFTWARE :rolleyes: .

For the OP, did you remember to install the motherboard drivers after doing a FRESH format?
 
Seongmin said:
For the OP, did you remember to install the motherboard drivers after doing a FRESH format?
Yes. If it has something to do with software, I have no idea what. A fresh reformat and reinstalling all drivers said to me that it was NOT software. And I have a lot of trouble believing the processor is actually that hot. The bios tells me that the processor is 55 celcius at bootup, which seems more reasonable to me. Speedfan didn't specify which temps it was telling me, which bothered me. The highest temp it read was 62 celcius, of the 3 temperatures it gave me.
 
I hope you realize that the human eye cannot tell the difference between 80 frames per second and 300 frames per second... CS:Source is an amazingly well done game, and the Source engine is impressive, so I don't think that complaining that you're only getting 60 frames per second is... greedy...

But, yes, there is something wrong. I had a single 6600GT, and running it at max details (No AA, but 16xAF) at 1600x1200 worked perfectly. This means no dips below 40 frames per second. Now that I have a second 6600GT in SLi, the video stress test throws an average of 57 frames per second. (Much lower than would be achieved in normal play, because of the reflections, distortions, and complex shaders)

My solution: Try newer/beta drivers, make sure that you have allowed Steam to download the most recent updates, and possibly dust out and overclock your card. (Sometimes with CPU's they will run better when you just blow them off. Kind of strange, but they just don't get as hot, and, in turn, can accomplish the same things without losing data.
 
Oblyter8ed said:
I hope you realize that the human eye cannot tell the difference between 80 frames per second and 300 frames per second...


SOOO fkn tired of hearing that. I don't know if this is just me, but when I starting hitting 100+fps for a majority of the time, my K : D ratio shot up like a rocket. Same with every other online fps I have ever played. More fps = easier kills, ymmv.
 
ChronicTrees said:
SOOO fkn tired of hearing that. I don't know if this is just me, but when I starting hitting 100+fps for a majority of the time, my K : D ratio shot up like a rocket. Same with every other online fps I have ever played. More fps = easier kills, ymmv.
That's like saying you can play better Tennis if you have a 600 dollar racket... Not true at all. I don't play any better with a nicer racket. You just have to suck it up sometimes.

But seriously. The only time you really know you're getting more than 60 frames per second it when you see horizontal tearing, and that only occurs when the FPS's go higher than the refresh rate of your monitor. (In my case, that's around 85Hz.)

Anyway, getting any more frames per second that your refresh rate makes it painful to play, when the image is torn into little pieces, and furthermore, you can't tell what the computer renders inbetween the frames that actually get thrown into the screen. So, for example:

A card gets 120 frames per second in game "X." Your LCD monitor refreshes at 60Hz (They all do). That means you only see HALF the frames that the card actually produces.

Point made. Thank you.
 
sooo am i beating a dead horse here and my cpu and mobo are gay and i cant fix it...or do i just go with an amd.....i mean u think its worth trying a new motherboard....uve seen my scores...something is wrong and i reformatted so its not software......is it my motherboard..cuz id rather keep the 3.4 and get 100 frames then buy a new mobo..then rebuy a processor AND mobo....would cost much much less.....
 
Is Css Worth this much Hassle :S ;)

Dude you just need to calm down and stop throwing Money about...

Steam Updates have a thing for fucking up peoples games... trust me every update hits me bad in some way.

still check the cpu is seated and Pasted up proper..

try downloading diffrent Nvidia drivers from the webby and Use Drivercleaner Pro to clean drivers first.

is the 7800 reciving good power thru the wires feeding it?? plugged in proper?

i know my 6800 Ultra Under clocks its self when it losses power.

Could it be a bios thing somewhere?? i dunno.

all small things dude but they all could cause it.. so just chill take your time and check :)

Dan
 
but its not just source...

quake 4 runs like hell on 640x480 low quality....its literally unplayable....and that was right after a fresh reformat and everything was installed..chipset..drivers....name it..and it was the right drivers as well....its like all of a sudden all intels went to shit....

i was reading the intel forums and people are havin fps problems there too....how can intels be this damn bad....they cant..esp a 3.4 1mb L2cache.....somethings wrong and i know one of u can name something that hasnt been named yet lol....cuzz i really REALLY dont wanna spend more money on this....
 
Far said:
but its not just source...

quake 4 runs like hell on 640x480 low quality....its literally unplayable....and that was right after a fresh reformat and everything was installed..chipset..drivers....name it..and it was the right drivers as well....its like all of a sudden all intels went to shit....

i was reading the intel forums and people are havin fps problems there too....how can intels be this damn bad....they cant..esp a 3.4 1mb L2cache.....somethings wrong and i know one of u can name something that hasnt been named yet lol....cuzz i really REALLY dont wanna spend more money on this....

DUDE INTEL IS NOT THE PROBLEM!!! You fucked something up, one way or another. AMD is better at gaming, sure, but intel is not un-gameable.

\/ \/ \/ Over 10K in 3dmark '03, 65K in aquamark3, and DoD:S way past playable at 1280x1024... check and recheck everything inside the case. Check your temperatures. Format the bitch... If you sell your rig and buy an AMD setup, you are throwing away money.
 
Back
Top