My compuer woes (not sending to monitor)

Scorcher

n00b
Finally got everything set up and a computer tech friend helped me hook it all up.

When you power on the computer it doesnt send a signal to the monitor?

I am using a:

Asus a7n8x-deluxe
Amd 2500+ XP
Kingston valueram 3200 512mb
radeon 9700pro

He said it could be a grounding problem, or something with one of the components. There is no beeps during the start up, which should happen if there is a problem with hardware.

The green light comes on on the mobo which is good, and the read light by the AGP slot stays off which means the video card is working i think.

Any suggestions on what I could/should try or what it could be?

Originally posted by BillLeeLee
Did you disable the onboard video? I know you did.

Do you think im stupid or something!?

PS. How do you check to see if/and disable onboard video? :p

Plug the monitor into the VGA port on the mobo and turn the comp on. Enter the BIOS (it'll probably tell you what key to press, most likely F2, Delete, or F1 to enter BIOS).

In there, somewhere in BIOS options, you can disable the onboard video controller. Disable that, and turn off the computer, and then plug the monitor into the Radeon. Hopefully, that'll work. Otherwise, I'm dumb.

Hmm, I thought the A7n8x-dx came with onboard video...

Okay...

A few other thiings then:
1.) did you connect the radeon 9700 to a power connector?
2.) Have you tried the machine using a PCI video card? If this works, then the AGP slot could be faulty.
3.) Does everything in the system run when you press the power button? (fans spin, hard drives turn on, etc.)

i plugged in the 9700
havent tried a pci, i will do that,

everything spins and turns on

Ok, Radeon in another system works, i tried another agp card and it does the same thing. I dont have any pci cards to try, so ill have to borrow a friends if i cant get it working

did you plug in a computer speaker? is it giving you any BIOS beep codes? if so, look them up...

if not, first try reseating all of the components, and all of the plugs (sometimes an important one will get loose)

if that still doesn't work, then take the motherboard out of the case, and assemble the mobo/cpu/ram on your desk... if it works, then you have a grounding problem... if it doesn't, it's time to start testing the cpu/ram/vid card/psu with known good components...

if it still doesn't work with the known good components, then you can be sure that the mobo is bad

have fun :D

Back