My cdroms are ..gone...

Silverghost

2[H]4U
From time to time when I've booted into windows my dvd rom or my cdrw wouldnt appear, but a reboot seemed to fix it.

Now the last few reboots my my CD-RW and DVD-ROM wont appear in windows. They have power and the ide cables are in properly, and any setting I change in the bios does nothing. I cant seem to get them to appear at all.

Any ideas anyone. :confused:

Come to think of it, I jsut installed those Adaptec ASPI drivers for an audio ripping program.

I better uninstall those.

...the last time I "installed" EZCD creator and Adaptec's ASPI layer.....I had to reinstall the OS to fix the problem I created. Never again.....

WindowsXP / Nero / CloneCD.....IMHO - all you'll ever need.

Good Luck - B.B.S.

Well the aspi drivers are gone still no drives. I havent used Adaptec EZ CD in quite a long time. I use Nero now :)

But this is dumb. I just formatted and did a fresh install the other day. Your right BBS never again. :mad:

....you have my sympathy.

I f'ed around for a couple of hours, trying to find the files that got rototilled by the Adaptec junk. I finally gave up and did the "format C: /u" thing and reinstalled the world. Came right up, no muss no fuss. No problems since.

Chalk it up as a SILO moment; "self-induced-learning-experience" and get things back on line...:cool:

Good Luck - B.B.S.

hahahaha "rototilled" that made me laugh. :)

I might as well format c:. I just did it the other day and dont have much installed.

Thanks for the help. Death to Adaptec.

Oh believe me, I did the whole driver thing as well. I was having suttering problems in games as well as this. Hopefully I'll get two birds with one stone on this one.

Cute, now my bios doesn't see the CDROMS. So I can't install windows.

This is ridiculous. Now for a bios flash, and swapping cdroms.

Try replacing the IDE cable. You said you checked to make sure it was seated properly, but you didn't check to see if it was bad. I had an IDE cable go bad on me before, similar issues to this too.

You know I learned when XP first came out that it didnt work well with EZCD. And it had been so long that I fuckin forgot all about it the last time I formatted. I installed EZCD and the lil patch and bye bye windows. Luckily I learned sometime before to actually leave system restore enabled. Booted into safe mode, reverted back to previous day and all was fine. I did make sure to throw away that EZCD disc though.

I had a similar but different problem after installing Easy CD Creator.
I now have an extra DVD burner drive.
I have Nero installed but have not found a way to burn an .avi as a DVD in Nero and EZ CD can :/

Well I left my computer alone last night cause I had to go to work. I just got back boted t up to flash the bios, and there were my two CDROM on the post screen sitting there like they were always there. :rolleyes:

It could be the ide cable. But I'm just gonna get windows installed again.

Thanks for all the pointers. About EZCD, DirectCD that comes with it has always screwed with XP. Horrible program.

OT but you might find these instructions for an AOpen DVD ROM firmware update amusing:

AOpen DVD1648 Firmware R16 upgrade procedure

"ALL PROCESS HAVE TO DO UNDER DOS MODE"

You KNOW this is the "All your base" guy...

1. Turn ON the computer with the drive is connected to the host.
2. Re-boot into MS-DOS mode by selecting "End of Windows" on the "Start" manual when Windows9X is used.
3. Make sure there is no disc installed in the drive.
4. Decompress 16amhr16.exe
5. Type "F110f R16.bin" and then press "enter"
6. Reboot system

(Remarks)
Make sure the Power supply for the drive never be cut while the up-grade is in process, otherwise,
the up-grade fails and the drive never be back operative condition.

I promptly didn't install the software, figured I might slip with the old steak knife during the install and poof! I also couldn't find my start manual.

Back