My CD drive isnt working.

S

SpeedRunner

Guest
I think this is a windows problem, because the drive is pyschically working but windows is not recognizing it. It may be because I plugged in a flash drive yesterday, and the CD drive is not being noticed... I can't play CD's at all.
 
Yes I have removed the flash drive...

how do I clear the CMOS?
 
motherboard documentation will show u where that particular set of jumpers are. Also, you can always pull the battery out..while the unit is off, then placing it back in with the same results.
 
my friends drive is doing that too. ive cleared cmos, checked the jumpers, checked basically everything and it just wont work. when its by itself on the computer. in example when i take the dvd rom drive out then the thing works. but when there are two drives in there it wont. it still puzzles me.
 
No, I honestly didnt mess with the CD drive any. It just stopped working... it shows the green light flashing... acting like its working, but nothing happens. Also, in "My Computer" and then "Devices with Removable Storage"... the disk drive is not listed. It's supposed to be drive D:

and now, when I plug in the flash drive... the flash drive becomes drive D.
 
Unplug and plug back in all the IDE connections.

Bring up your device manager. I've had Windows believe a CD drive was the devil before and it disabled it at this level. Check there for any red Xs or question marks and try to reinstall the drive that way.
 
gonna sound stupid asking this... but whats an IDE connector and how do i unplug/plug it
 
SpeedRunner said:
gonna sound stupid asking this... but whats an IDE connector and how do i unplug/plug it


The ribbon (or round) cable that plugs the Cd drive into the motherboard.
It should be the largest cable plugged into the drive.
 
Back
Top