• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My C2D build and my C2D problems...

synergyID

n00b
Joined
Aug 13, 2006
Messages
52
My C2D build and my C2D problems...
After countless forum posts and troubleshooting sessions my new rig is online.

C2D E6400 running at 2400mhz
Asus P5B Deluxe
Radeon X1900XT OC
Hiper 570 watt PSU <<< looove this PSU, and highly recommend checking it out
Corsair DDR2 XMS2 Ram

Now I managed to overclock the video card to 695Mhz GPU and 819 Mhz Memory speeds. I also OCd my CPU to 2400 mhz. This configuration gave me a 12,316 3d Mark 2005 score. Not too shabby right? Well I think so too.

Problems.

At stock speed my core 2 duo runs at 35 degrees celcius. Under load this figure jumps to 65 degrees. Overclocked it runs at 45 degrees idle and like 75 degrees overclocked. I actually hit 81 degrees today... These numbers are crazy, and I have no idea why they are so high. I tried measuring the temperature in every program: Core Temp, Asus Probe, Sandra, Everest. My heatsink is a zalman 7000B-cu LED. I know its not the best but I dont think my CPU should be running this hot. I have read threads complaining about their chips running hot, but never as hot as mine.... I have even come to reapplying arctic silver and putting on the heatsink again...
 
It might be the heatspreader on the CPU. Try lapping it. Better air flow in the case may help some. Run the AC if the room is warm.

I've got my E6400 running at 2.4 GHz with Intel stock cooling and run 47C idle and about 67C under heavy load for several hours. Dual-Prime and SuperPI both pass. ASUS Probe seems to be showing temps around 5 degrees hotter over Core Temp. Stability is good so far. 3DMark06 runs without a hitch and I'm getting a score of 5017. CPU score is 2027.
 
I just really wanna take it to 400FSB and I cant with these temperatures. I dont know if lapping is a good idea...Do a lot of peopel do it?
 
Well your right, that Zalman is not the best. I'd eventually look for something better if you want to run 3.2 24/7. Also try doing some work on the case cooling.

45 idle to 75 load is way to much of a difference. Most load temps are 10c hotter than idle. Stick with one program to monitor, I'd suggest Core Temp.

Main question is what vcore you set to? If your stock then those temps are crazy and I'd throw that zalman right in the garbage. You shouldn't need much voltage at all to hit 2.4. I run stock 1.325 to hit 3.2 just fine.
 
Couple things i would check. First... turn off the fan speed controller. These things will idle down the fan to crazy low speeds. See if that makes a difference. Second... look at your case cooling. All too often people only talk about the CPU cooling when the reality is that if your case cooling sucks... then so will your CPU cooling. I'm running a x6800 at stock speeds and my CPU fan barely turns at all. I can't tell you what my exact temps are, 975xbx is notorious for wrong readings, but the entire case is very cool. I'm running a lian li PC65 with 4 80mm fans running at half speed. I've never had an overheating problem...
 
Back
Top