My brothers new system wont turn on. HELP!

wilson502

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, i just got through building my brothers computer. Well I got everything hooked up right, and i hit the power button, it turns on for about a split second then shuts down. I double checked all my connections, they r good an tight. I cant seem to figure out whats going on. ITs an chaintech VNF-250 with the nforce 3 chipset. Forton 530W PSU. AMD 64 3000+ 1 gig of crucial pc 3200 memory. 2 5.25 drives, and 1 80 gig hard drive.

Two primary suspects:

1) HSF Fan plugged into wrong header and system thinks no fan is on

2) Motherboard short

BB

did you somehow tamper w/ the cmos? i did that once, and my pc would restart after i turned it on.

i got the same chipset too fyi

im pretty sure its plugged into the right header, the cpu fan comes on, and i plugged it into the cpu fan slot. what would cause a motherboard short?

i have a problem on my epox 8rda3+ that if my front usb is plugged in, the same thing happens.(its a pos, doesnt work rite) :p so it sounds like a motherboard problem.

did you use standoffs on teh case? also try clearing ur cmos, dunno if that will help or not.

make sure that there is no screws, standoffs, or any other peice of metal touching the back of the board and shorting it out..

firstly try reset your cmos
put it back in to the normal postion and try boot, if that dont work
shortage might be the problem

this is why you should allways do a cardboard test before u put the board in the case

simple get a large piece of cardboard (as this is a non conductive)
place the motherboard on it, insert memory, processor and heatsink

you will need a speaker also if your board dont have a onboard one, attach your case speaker and also the power switchs and reset switch
then try and power the machine, if it dont fully power or beeps at you have a problem

if the machine powers up, then its a case of shorting the board
this can be coursed by the mountings on the case tray

make sure any of the screw mounts on your case align up properly with your motherboard
if they is a extra one this can course problems
also try and attach those little cardboard circles that normaly come with the board/case screws
dont attach them to every mount as they needs to be some kind of grouding

if none the above work, sounds like you have a faulty board

i had a dodgy board that would not power with the cmos jumpers set to normal
only for me to find that it actualy powerd up with the cmos jumpers set to clear
after forgetting i had left it on clear before eating dinner
sent it back found to be faulty

had me scratching my head aswell :)
glad i learned to test before u screw it all in to ya case :D

i noticed the motherboard came with this piece of cardboard, how do i place it, if i place it underneath the board, itll cover the screwholes.

You shouldnt place the cardboard in the case.. he was saying to place your motherboard on top of it for testing purposes, outside of the case.

ok i tried the putting the cardboard underneath it trick, same thing, powers up only for a second then shuts off. Im gonna try that PSU in my system see if it does the same thing.

nope, i put that PSU in my computer, nothing starts for half second then shuts off. This is a forton 530W PSU btw. So is it the PSU or the motherboard?

You might be in the same boat I'm in... I shorted my board out (I think) and now I'll have to RMA it.

well i swapped my PSU in there, it fires right up. Odd, what happend i tried the forton, twice i got it to boot up, then shut off after bout 10 secs. Whats even weirder, i put the system all back together, it does the same thing, so i grab my antec truepower 430, fires right up again. That forton has got to be faulty.

most likely power supply then.
but the first thing i saw that was wrong was that you said you put the computer together in the first place.

it'll save you tons of trouble if you test it all outside the case first.

While not a professional, I've built dozens (20-30) systems over the past 5 or 6 years, and I've never done that and never had a problem.

BB

Back