My Brothers Computer Requires the XP CD to boot

Mars10

n00b
Well, I built my brothers machine awhile back (3 months or so), worked fine, no problems. Here recently he turned it on and it said BOOT DISK FAILURE.. (BLAH BLAH). So we put in the XP CD to format, but while we were watching TV at the same time we missed the "press key to boot from CD" text, and when i turned back, it was loading XP!

Once the system boots, i can take out the disk and do whatever.
Ive formatted 3 times (MS people think i keep installing this on diffrent machines :rolleyes: ) still does not help.

Ive taken out the CD rom as a boot device all together, no go.

Basically, i have no idea why it is asking for the CD and i need help! AHHH! :eek:

(and sorry this is in the wrong fourm, but it could be software :) )

Almost sounds like the boot sector is borked. Maybe try one of these in DOS mode: fdisk /mbr

It will 'delete' the master boot record, then install windows again and it might work. I dont know a lot abotu this, but it seems veryr reasonable to me.

i cant seem to get it to see fdisk /mbr as a command. I used a DOS boot floppy nothing, and i tried in windows (again nothing).

or another option if those don't work is to load up windows. Goto control panel and then Adminstrative Tools then Computer Management. From there go to Disk Management and highlight the first windows partition and rt click and set as active if it will let you. I've had another partition set as active before and had this problem.

Back