My BOINC Farm (pics)

kaleb_zero

Limp Gawd
Some background:
My wife is hesitantly supportive of my DC hobby. Basically, I'm allowed to pursue DC as long as the following criteria are met:
  1. She doesn't have to see a room full extra computers (out of sight)
  2. She doesn't have to hear any extra noise (fans humming, etc.)
  3. I chip in extra for the electric bill out of my own salary.
Thus, I am quite restricted in what I can contribute, but I've managed to rig something up that works quite well. I've started stacking together some super small form factor machines under a desk in the back room which is cold during the winter (poorly insulated), and adjusted the fan speed to strike a balance of nearly zero noise / manageable temperatures.

Here are some pics of me managing to stuff 24 cores* into a shoebox-sized space that is my small but growing 'stack' of boxen:
*Actually 12 cores+Hyperthreading
20151125_171357v2.jpg

20151125_171418v2.jpg

The bottom two boxes are Lenovo M73 Tiny models sporting Haswell i7-4765T / i7-4785T respectively. The top box is the newest, it's a Dell OptiPlex 7040 mini and is running a Skylake i7-6700T.

I feel kind of dirty buying OEM machines but for this form factor it has been the best bang for the buck, not to mention all three of them came with 3 year warranties, and this form factor has allowed me to stuff 24 threads of CPU power under a desk, out of sight, and with virtually zero noise footprint (so to be allowed by the wife ;))

If anyone cares, I'll note from this experience that the Lenovo boxes have way quieter fans than the Dell does, sadly the Dell fans create noticeably more noise at the same RPM which has meant having to limit clock speeds a little (though, thanks to the new architecture of Skylake it matches or beats the performance of the other chips even at slightly lower clocks).

I used to do F@H but since it's gone mostly GPU-oriented I started looking for a way to contribute to medical research that was still CPU bound. I've thus been throwing my cycles at Rosetta@Home which I've been very pleased with especially after having the chance to chat with some of the researchers there and learning about how they use the cycles made available to them.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you on board with BOINC. Keep us informed how those little boxes hold up against 24/7 heat. We have started using the small Dells at work (3020's) so wont have them in my home until they are cycled out in about 5 years or so...lol

Back