My Beyerdynamic DT48a gaming experience

kool bubba ice

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
328
Just got them in today. They are heavy and bulky. Ofcourse they are based off Beyers first headphone in 1937. They are closed and weight around 3lbs. The quality is all metal and very sturdy. Theres also rubber pading. The comfort level isn't the greatest either.

Impressions
I played 3 games and numerous songs. I heard things I never heard before. And I had a very detailed set up, DAC1/balanced SA5000 combo. The SA5000 are well know for detal. Even balanced, the 48's revealed more detail with a ho hum attitude. I heard a studio gaffle when I played Ninja Gaiden. It was like clanking. Someone pounding on the studio wall where they processed the audio. I doubt any Stat could be more revealing.
The sound stage is small and regulated in your head, but the space and decay around instruments and special effects is the best I heard. The sound stage is coherent, and tonally accurate. The most balanced headphone I have heard. Audio positioning is deadly accurate. Imagine your ears having eyes. I could tell how many ninjas were after me by the multiple footsteps, with great seperation.
Midrange is the best I heard. Ultra realist, and you can make out almost anything the person is saying, even if it wasn't audible before.

So whats stopping you from picking these up? They are very rare. Only made when ordered. audio sounds like a mono recording. Bass is anemic and almost nonexsistant. Flat FR. Depending on the user one might find these boring,cold,lean, and sterile. And a new pair will cost you 3-4 hundred. But can find some used onEbay for under 1 hundred.

On a side not, for being 5ohms I was very happy to report that I have yet to encounter any hiss.
 
Yeeeehaw!

Better than Stax? hmmmmm....

Ebay?

Add a sub and go ripping...

Good find mate.
 
Nice mini review.

Hopefully all of Head-Fi doesn't know about it... That way maybe there's still shot at catching a good deal. ;)

Also the lack of bass doesn't bother me since an Aura Bass Shaker attached to ones seat can remedy that.
 
Nice mini review.

Hopefully all of Head-Fi doesn't know about it... That way maybe there's still shot at catching a good deal. ;)

Also the lack of bass doesn't bother me since an Aura Bass Shaker attached to ones seat can remedy that.

I can say that I learned something new today ... Aura Bass Shaker's.

Pretty cool, come too think of it.
 
Yeeeehaw!

Better than Stax? hmmmmm....

Ebay?

Add a sub and go ripping...

Good find mate.
Never said better then stax.. I would be very suprised if any electro can reveal more detail. These are the same phones used for hearing test and audio metric studies. When I hold my breath I can hear my heart beating in the right channel. Not sure what thats about. Theres also two models A and E. The E's look much more comfortable.
 
Back
Top