My BenQ FP241WZ

It can accept a 1080p signal, but it cannot scale it properly when using 1:1 pixel mapping. It 'overscans'. I'm not exactly sure what overscan means, but I think it's where the scaled image doesnt fit the screen correctly.

in other words, the 1080p 16:9 video will be shown in the 16:10 monitor with those two nice little 2cm black bars.

so if i watch a new released DVD on this monitor it's gonna looked stretched or just a couple very small black bars on the top and bottom?

I was considering getting the BenQ FP241WZ but im worried about ghosting is it noticble to a degree that would be off putting in games and is noticbly different then FP241W in terms to ghosting.

Thanks in advanced.

So if it creates the bars on the left and right doesnt it mean that it is scaling it then? :::Confused:::

What colour, brightness, and contrast settings are you guy's using on your screens?

This is probably the same issue as the BenQFP241W which is outlined in that thread.
If so, perhaps the following information would apply here. If not, please excuse my assumption.
....................................................................................

As it was explained to me, the FP241W BenQ's with the 1:1 update - using a PS3 via HDMI attempting to get per-pixel output results in the monitor displaying black bars on ALL FOUR SIDES, as if it were displaying 1680x1050 per pixel in the middle of the screen. (Before the firmware update it was stretching the 1680x1050 output full screen, instead of true 1920 pixel width output apparently).

I want the monitor to be able to display per pixel 1920x1080 which would result in a thin black bar 60pixels high on bottom, 60 pixels high on top. A good monitor should easily give this output option as well as easily scaling full screen stretch option if you wanted it for some reason (but I hate stretching personally).

The wii is one thing I would live with stretching if it were done properly, out of necessity since its only 480i. However I've also heard that the FP241W scales/stretches Wii fullscreen output unevenly (stretched more at the top).

Lastly, I heard that there is a SECOND firmware update coming out, perhaps within the next month or two.. at least for the FP241W.. that hopfully will fix these issues once and for all. I am waiting until the smoke clears and I get some reviews of the performance with the second firmware update before I would consider either of these 24" BenQ monitors.

Can anyone tell me what 1080p HDMI monitors correctly display 1:1 pixel mapping with the PS3? I've read the 37 Westy is a no go. And I've seen the question asked about the Aquos.....I've read we're splitting monster nose hairs...LOL

Can anyone tell me what 1080p HDMI monitors correctly display 1:1 pixel mapping with the PS3? I've read the 37 Westy is a no go. And I've seen the question asked about the Aquos.....I've read we're splitting monster nose hairs...LOL

Higgy, if you send my your PS3, I'll try it out on the LG and BenQ 24" monitors... *grin*

Jim

I had a problem with my new FP241WZ monitor flipping out and going all black for a couple of seconds then jumping back to normal. This would happen multiple times.

I think I found the cause. My nvidia video driver was not using out the proper sync polarity. I went into the advanced timings dialog and changed both sync polarities to positive. No problems since. I know that the monitor is telling nvidia to use positive sync polarities via DDC and in the monitor device driver, but I still had the problem with both an older driver and the latest one.

Enjoying my new display

LeRoy
I know this is an older post I'm replying to, but I'm curious, has anyone else tried this? Does it really work? I think I have just encountered the "black out" problem with my new FP241WZ. It's happened twice so far in the 4 days I've owned this monitor... both times with drivers that I had installed that were not the ones that came with my card.

I'm back to the version that came with my card right now and hoping the problem doesn't show again. But if does and it's just a matter of changing the sync polarities, then that seems like a simple fix. In order to do that though, I assume I have to create a new custom timing profile, correct?

Well, I tried creating a custom timing profile in the NVidia control panel and I still got the blank screen thing. I've now switched everything back to defaults, including using the cable that came with the monitor instead of the expensive Monster cable I bought.

Dang, just when I thought I found a good monitor or one with small problems easily fixed.... :(

Well, I tried creating a custom timing profile in the NVidia control panel and I still got the blank screen thing. I've now switched everything back to defaults, including using the cable that came with the monitor instead of the expensive Monster cable I bought.

Dang, just when I thought I found a good monitor or one with small problems easily fixed.... :(

Hi Joe, I haven't had the blackout happen but I'm wondering if it's a defect in the monitor that's causing it or a program compatibility with windows, or something else. Can you recreate the blackout or is it competely random? Has it happened when your system is idling, no application running in the background? Are you running windows XP?

Ya, it's completely random, and ya I'm using XP (I'm not moving to Vista for awhile yet). However, after thinking back, the period that this blackout problem had started happening was just after I had swapped out the DVI cable that came with the monitor for a high quality Monster DVI cable. I didn't actually have any real reason to swap the cable in the first place except to receive a bit more length so I could route the cable properly to my computer. But the blackout problem had not occurred prior to me changing the cable to begin with, so after some thought, I'm trying the original cable again. As of today, I've only been using the monitor for a day after swapping back to the original cable, but so far, the blackout problem has not yet occurred again that I've noticed (*knock on wood*). I'm crossing my fingers it was just caused by the replacement Monster DVI cable I bought because this monitor is excellent so far and, as of tomorrow, I will lose my chance to take it back to get a refund. After tomorrow, I'm stuck with it, though the extended warranty I purchased from the place I bought it at is actually quite flexible... I can get a brand new replacement for ANY small problem in the next 3 years... including 1 single dead pixel, so I should be covered if this blackout problem is truly a defective monitor thing.

I know this is an older post I'm replying to, but I'm curious, has anyone else tried this? Does it really work? I think I have just encountered the "black out" problem with my new FP241WZ. It's happened twice so far in the 4 days I've owned this monitor... both times with drivers that I had installed that were not the ones that came with my card.

I'm back to the version that came with my card right now and hoping the problem doesn't show again. But if does and it's just a matter of changing the sync polarities, then that seems like a simple fix. In order to do that though, I assume I have to create a new custom timing profile, correct?

I tried this, it did not work.

Did BENQ make any announcements regarding the blackout problem? Will they fix it, or will they pretend it doesn't exist because it is random?

Well, there were no blackouts today either. Well, there was a short one lasting less than about a half second, but I was adjusting video options inside Supreme Commander at the time so I can't be sure that this last one may not have actually been caused when I applied the changes. I guess it will take a few more days of use to be sure. Here's hoping.

Sorry, I'm going to ask a bunch of stupid questions. Does the blackout happen with all inputs? How long does it usually happen? Does the monitor act like it's trying to change resolutions? Could you guys give more details of your operating systems and hardware? I'm just looking for a common point. I wonder if any Mac users have this problem?

Sorry, I'm going to ask a bunch of stupid questions. Does the blackout happen with all inputs? How long does it usually happen? Does the monitor act like it's trying to change resolutions? Could you guys give more details of your operating systems and hardware? I'm just looking for a common point. I wonder if any Mac users have this problem?

I'll give you as much information as I can provide.

I'm only using this monitor for my PC so I'm only using the DVI-D input. It happened randomly though mostly when I was playing Supreme Commander, though that's all I have been doing on my system lately. I'm doing some testing right now using Oblivion as the guinea pig to see if it affects anything. The blackout lasts for about 2 seconds each time... though the 4 or 5 times it's happened to me, the time has been somewhat variable. As I've mentioned in previous messages, the problem really started to occur with regularity when I changed from the manufacturer supplied cable to a Monster DVI cable. I have since switched back to the manufacturer supplied cable and the problem *may* have subsided... again, a few more days of testing should reveal that.

The monitor is currently hooked up to my Windows XP machine which is using an eVGA GeForce 8800GTS and I'm running 97.92 drivers (though this has happened using older 96.89 drivers and newer 158.19 drivers as well). I'm just using the 97.92 drivers right now because those are the ones I originally installed on the system and the ones that I know did not give any blackouts for the first few days after I started using this monitor.

I'm just a below averave idiot, but I know BenQ monitors these threads and all the information we can leave them will probably be better channeled through here than trying to contract their engineering department independently.

Well I decided to phone Benq about my Blackout problems and £9 later I managed to get a call logged with their Tech Support Help desk (.75p/min). I got an email from them today, which is pasted below:

----------
Thank you for contacting us at BenQ support today, the details of the problem that you are experiencing with your FP241WZ were sent to the relevant department in our office so that they could advise us how best to proceed with your case. We are still currently waiting to be advised with regard to this; however, I will chase this up to see if we can provide you with an appropriate solution yet. As soon as I have some more information I will contact you to let you know how we can proceed with your case.
----------

See what comes of this, I can see the monitor going back in it's box and being shipped to Benq, but if the replacement works I'll be a happy man :)

I thought I had found a solution to mine, but apparently, after a week of not showing up, it showed up again yesterday... twice the screen blanked on me for about 1 second each time and about 1 second in between. It would certainly be more annoying if it happened more often, but it's not acceptable nonetheless. I'm going to do some more testing to see what I can determine... right now, as before, it's only happened to me when I was playing Supreme Commander though again, I've only really been playing that on my system lately with some general working in Windows in between. If it were to show up while I was working in Windows or while using some other application, then I would be more concerned. But lately, I'm starting to think this isn't a monitor issue and may be more related to video driver or even the video card itself. I'll continue testing using other games/apps as I get the chance.

This is what they say about the 1:1.

FP241WJ has loaded picture adjustment mode function, all picture, aspect ratio fixing, 1: 1 * three selections of 1 are possible.
* 11: 1… as for the input data from PC designated resolution size 1: At 1 it is indicated, but, the data from the AV equipment is indicated number % reducing.

The HDMI limitations disclaimer? It doesn't sound like they are planning a second firmware upgrade to me.

http://translate.google.com/translate_t

Translate TextOriginal text: Automatically translated text:

BenQ FP241W/WJ/WZ のHDMI

Concerning the HDMI connection of BenQ FP241W/WJ/WZ description usually it grants extraordinary high distribution in regard to the BenQ product gratitude says thickly. At the time of the examination of the purchase of BenQ FP241W/WJ/WZ, attention we would like to receive, guide. BenQ FP241W/WJ/WZ has become HDMI terminal equipped PC liquid crystal display. However, in regard to the connection with the personal computer, analog D-sub, you recommend digital DVI-D. The HDMI terminal of this product corresponds to the AV equipment and the video signal. * It is not something which guarantees the operation of all AV equipment and the video signal equipment. * Furthermore, when from the HDMI terminal equipped graphic card at the HDMI terminal it indicates to BenQ FP241W/WJ/WZ, it converts making use of “the HDMI to DVI-D conversion connector of marketing,” connects DVI-D connector side to the DVI-D terminal of FP241W/WJ/WZ and it recommends that use it receives. * It is not something which guarantees the operation with all graphic cards. Attention it receives this case, before you purchase, verification that it can receive, connected environment it asks.

Hmm does the blackout problem occur with those that use Windows Vista?

It happens on XP with my setup but I haven't seen it happen on Vista yet. The scaling is also broken on XP, so maybe this is a driver issue?

Hmm does the blackout problem occur with those that use Windows Vista?

It happens on XP with my setup but I haven't seen it happen on Vista yet. The scaling is also broken on XP, so maybe this is a driver issue?

I have the VW model (and Vista), and I have not noticed any blackout problems. One thing to consider though, I never bothered plugging in the DVI cable that came with my monitor, I just used the DVI cable I was using before which came with my Dell LCD monitor.

I'm hoping it's a driver issue and not a monitor issue. Drivers are something that can be fixed easily or easily tested for flaws... it's easier and less hassle to replace drivers than it is to replace the monitor. In some respects, it almost seems like a driver issue. I've only encountered it while running Supreme Commander (which uses the drivers to a greater extent than editing spreadsheets or editing text files in Windows)... I've tried Oblivion a couple times to see if it would show up there, but quite frankly, I haven't played Oblivion lately as much as Supreme Commander. I've never actually encountered it outside of a game so far and there have been days when I hadn't played any games at all and the blackout problem had ample opportunity to occur. Some people have claimed they experience this on monitors other than the BenQ FP241W or WZ... if that's the case, it becomes a bit more likely that it's not a monitor issue and possibly a driver issue. I'd test using another LCD monitor if I had one sitting around I could use, but the only thing I have are CRTs (which I may try anyway).

The fact that the scaling is broken in XP is also a sign that it isn't beyond NVidia to break their drivers and cause little glitches like this... though many have also reported this to be a problem with ATI cards (a common driver issue perhaps?).

However, I'd really like to hear from anyone who has had their monitor replaced because of this issue to see if they are still experiencing it. That may indeed determine if it is a monitor issue or not.

I have the blackout problem in Vista Ultimate, XP Pro, using any DVI cable (I've tried 3 now) going through my crossfire cable. I've found a work around, which is using a D-SUB cable through crossfire, no blackout issues occur. Even though the picture quality is not as good as DVI it works and allows me to play games :)

Are the blackouts happening only when you are gaming? The only blackout problem I have is when I drink heavily.

If it's a manufacturing defect won't BenQ fix it or replace it? Maybe you can trade it in for the WJ model. LOL
I think Hewlett Packard F1703 had a blackout problem that was determined to be a manufacturing defect and they replaced them all.

----
The reason you are experiencing this blackout is almost certainly due to your video card.

Your Benq monitor has a resolution of 1920 x 1200 and so the graphics card has to work harder to generate the image. When you have tested it on other monitors they were both 1280x1024 which would put less strain on the graphics card.

In answer to your question, yes you are the only person I have heard of that is having this problem, probably for this reason – that it is not a problem with the monitor.

The reason it the Benq monitor is working ok using the D-SUB connection is because again this puts less strain on the video card.

I would recommend doing a simple test. Try to just look at your PC’s desktop using the Benq monitor. If this does not cut out or go black then there is nothing wrong with the monitor. The fact that you have told us that this happens when you run a 3d game implies that the fault must lie with your graphics card. The Monitor has no idea what type of image it is receiving. It is no harder for it to display a moving 3d image than a static image. If the monitor had a ‘blackout’ problem, then this would occur no matter what type of image you send to it, 2d, 3d , static, anything.

I hope this clears up this problem.
----

Which is a load of bull :mad:

----
The reason you are experiencing this blackout is almost certainly due to your video card.

Your Benq monitor has a resolution of 1920 x 1200 and so the graphics card has to work harder to generate the image. When you have tested it on other monitors they were both 1280x1024 which would put less strain on the graphics card.

In answer to your question, yes you are the only person I have heard of that is having this problem, probably for this reason – that it is not a problem with the monitor.

The reason it the Benq monitor is working ok using the D-SUB connection is because again this puts less strain on the video card.

I would recommend doing a simple test. Try to just look at your PC’s desktop using the Benq monitor. If this does not cut out or go black then there is nothing wrong with the monitor. The fact that you have told us that this happens when you run a 3d game implies that the fault must lie with your graphics card. The Monitor has no idea what type of image it is receiving. It is no harder for it to display a moving 3d image than a static image. If the monitor had a ‘blackout’ problem, then this would occur no matter what type of image you send to it, 2d, 3d , static, anything.

I hope this clears up this problem.
----

Which is a load of bull :mad:

LOL what a load of Crap! I am so happy I ended up going for the NEC 2470WNX.

I don't have a blackout problem with my monitor, and I'm very happy with my purchase. But, if my monitor was defective with a blackout problem, and BenQ refused to honor their warranty, I would consider a class action lawsuit. Hewlett Packard had a defective monitor and this is the law firm that handled the class action suit. I'm going to post this quote from another forum, I hope that's OK. Good luck!

Class Action Investigation - HP 1703 Pavilion Monitor
6/16/05 2:47 PM
In reply to: HP Pavilion F1703 TFT Monitor Blackout
I am a paralegal from Girard Gibbs & De Bartolomeo LLP, a San Francisco consumer class action law firm. We are currently investigating complaints concerning blackouts in the Hewlett Packard 1703 Pavilion LCD Monitor. If you would like to assist us in our investigation, you can contact me via email: [email protected], phone: (866) 981-4800, or web: www.girardgibbs.com/1703blackout.html.

Thank you.

Adam

In the interest of science, I have commenced taking apart my screen!

Wish me luck. Will have pics later.

One thing I can confirm for you guys, is that with my setup, having the monitor plugged into the DVI jack of my BFG 8800GTX (closest one to the motherboard) yields no black-outs.

However having the monitor plugged into the other jack does cause occasional random black-outs. (Go figure?)

I've tested my screen both ways for a good month each and these results have held true.
This has been using both Win XPpro and Vista Ultimate 32-bit.

At this point it's really looking like either a possible video card design flaw, maybe a driver issue, or one very sensitive monitor.

Back