My backup 6800gt heat issues

jkmetal

Limp Gawd
I had to send in my 8800 gts so for the next week I need to go back to my 6800, which can play all my games at lower settings. No big deal. So I put into the p.c, install into p.c and this hidious fan noise begins. The card runs at 100% fan at all times with an idle load temp of 50c going up to 70c. Is the card on its last legs, I've had it for 3 years, two of which where for light use, or has the termal paste connecting the card to its fan wearing away? Will flashing the bios help? Or will I but stuck with onboard video (morrowind fps at 800x600=less than 30 average!) I am willing to take this sucker apart, flash bioses and even buy thermal compound.

Try reaplying thermal paste and reseating its heatsink, also try blowing it with canned air.

Have you tried a 5lb. hammer to knock the dust loose? Hehe. If the fan is noisy you might want to go with an aftermarket cooler. Something from either Zalman or Arctic Cooling.

70c isnt a bad temp, especially if thats stock cooling. They can do 80-90+ w/o issue, my 6800GT which is voltmodded and oc'd with a an nv5 silencer hits 75c sometimes, ive never once had a problem with the card.

Back