My "Apology" of glossy coatings

Also notice, even on the matte, having light shine on a matte screen is not like light hitting some type of theoretical black body where all light disappears. There is a GREAT DEAL of light that simply scatters across the screen, saturating the darks, and creating a hazy effect. And that haze is more persistent at wider angles of incidence as the light is scattered about, with a glossy, it is more a sharp angular vector for the light. Tilting a matte screen to the side a bit will NOT reduce the haze the same way tilting a glossy with redirect the more direct reflections.

Agreed - that's the problem that I've experienced with matte monitors. It just surprises me to see people talk as if matte solves all lighting-related problems when it can most definitely be worse than glossy depending on the conditions. I find it easier to look past slight reflections than a haze covering half the screen.

At least now it's coming into winter there isn't as much light to cause that problem, but it will be back once it's sunnier I'm sure.

+1 for Flea77

One just has to look at what finish is on the "color calibrated" professional graphics level LCD monitors to figure out what real professionals use.
http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/index.asp
http://www.samsung.com/us/system/consumer/product/2008/02/29/ls30eddlbxaa/XLseries_Datasheet_LR.pdf
Nobody's going to successfully argue that contrast and sharpness don't matter to these users...

And no, Apple, doesn't make professional level monitors anymore, they've jumped the shark and have become a solely fashion/style driven company, rather than one that used to also supply equipment for graphics professionals.

Irrelevant. Ever seen how many video editors have thier setups? I have when I was in a studio to drop something off, they have darkened rooms, rooms where ambient light is a non issue because many are often EXTREME in setting up their environment for maximum color/contrast performance. In those cases it matters little.

That, and generally I think the professional crowd, like many here, are just much more anal retentive about reflections potential.

My arguments above still stand. Pick your poison. By and large a glossy coating takes away NO color accuracy, the only gripe of substance, are the reflections. And I do not care about that. I care about reasonable color reproduction, and a SHARPER and more CRISP looking screen, even when ambient light hits the screen.

And in that regard, glossy, is, superior. Why do I even bother with this defense? Because noone makes this case in favor of glossy screens. The most numerous and most vocal, based on my experience and observations on forums, are those who extol the virtues of matte, the haters of any potential reflections.

I had enough.

I agree that glossy definitely doesn't reduce color accuracy, but reflections are HORRENDOUS for me since I tend to use dark/black backgrounds (for coding, etc). Glossy screen + black background = reflections under ALL lighting conditions except for no light sources in the entire room. From my experiences with them (I owned a glossy laptop and used to have a glossy 24"), it's impossible to avoid annoying glare unless you are consistently in a very dark room with dark walls. Also don't wear bright clothes ever because that will also reflect. Now, if you limit yourself to only white/light backgrounds, then reflections are generally not an issue at all (or if you are willing/capable of ignoring them).

I also agree that glossy screens CAN be sharper but it's definitely dependent on the actual panel used. For example, my Samsung 245bw (matte) has much sharper text than the HP w2408 (glossy) I had, but my mom's HP 20" glossy has text at least as sharp as my dad's matte 20" Samsung.

The problem with the glossies is that they're not good for people who want to have the best color accuracy like web designers or other some such people.
ecstatic.gif

to each his own.
i like glossy screens. Maybe I like looking at myself all the time and the more vivid colors.

Maybe my roomate likes his matte screen. It's not like he shines a flashlight at me all day and mocks me or anything.

Everyone will like what they want, geez. There's no use telling someone they're wrong when it's all an opinion.

Irrelevant. Ever seen how many video editors have thier setups? I have when I was in a studio to drop something off, they have darkened rooms, rooms where ambient light is a non issue because many are often EXTREME in setting up their environment for maximum color/contrast performance. In those cases it matters little.

That, and generally I think the professional crowd, like many here, are just much more anal retentive about reflections potential.

My arguments above still stand. Pick your poison. By and large a glossy coating takes away NO color accuracy, the only gripe of substance, are the reflections. And I do not care about that. I care about reasonable color reproduction, and a SHARPER and more CRISP looking screen, even when ambient light hits the screen.

I *NEVER* stated that colour accuracy was affected by Matte or Glossy. All I was trying to illustrate is that real professionals prefer Matte, and the argument that CONTRAST and SHARPNESS are the reasons why Glossy is better than Matte are irrelevant because professionals care about that as well.

Let's put it this way, in a darkened video production room with very little ambient lighting (ie the ideal environment for a glossy finish screen) even the pro's prefer a matte finish.

The shade hood on those colour calibrated monitors is there more to reduce ambient light affecting colour perception more than reducing reflections. (The secondary reason for the shade hood is to reduce reflections.)

You are entitled to your own opinion, as am I and the the pro's. You prefer glossy, the pro's and I prefer matte. If you just said you liked glossy better, that would be fine, but trying to argue that it's because matte is less sharp, that's just incorrect.

The more I use glossy screens, the more I hate them. No way I'm ever gonna buy one.

qft. glossy screens are a reflectious nightmare. even one speck of dust and its like HOLY FUCKING SHIT WHO TURNED ON THE SCREEN SAVER WTF I CANT SEE :D

Glossy are superior, simply because no one can sneak up behind you......

*cues the crickets*

Glossy screens are like communism, a good idea in theory, and in a perfect world they would probably work great. Unfortunately though, we don't live in a perfect world.

*This is coming from someone who wasted a ton on a glossy screen (with a supposed anti-reflective snake-oil coating) only to loathe it year later wishing he kept the old matte screen laptop instead. I do love it in low-light situations tho. Look at both though and decide on your own, to each their own. Glossy will take more effort to work properly in all situations by it's very nature. Unless you really are one really narcissistic bastard or paranoid enough to need to look behind yourself all the time while surfing I suggest you try before you buy.

Back