My AMD RMA Experience

novadaemon

Gawd
I just wanted to post this in case anybody had any concerns in the future. I have a Phenom II 955 quad core that somehow had a pin break off during a motherboard transfer.

I emailed AMD and told them what happened, and they had me take some pics of the CPU. They gave me an RMA number and I shipped the item there.

The same day they received my CPU they fully procesed and shipped out another one. It's on its way to me now, but I just wanted to say that it was a very easy experience and it's the best turn around time on an RMA I've ever had.

What's even more awesome is that they processed it with no hassle even though I bought it in the US and live in Korea. Maybe I'll update when the CPU gets here just to be sure, but so far so good.

Good to hear. Thanks for the info. I have one sitting on the coffee table ready to go out tonight. Will let everybody know how that goes too.

what is impressive, is that they allowed you to RMA with a broken pin, which is physical damage caused by installation, not a defect in the product :p

Congrats man! I am glad to see AMD take care of their customers so well.

Having to deal with the 939 or so pins on the AM3 cpus are bad, but it is going to be insane when we get the LGA2044 Sandy Bridge processors next year. I have always been afraid of breaking a pin and hope that more processors go towards a pinless design like the current Socket G34 Magny Cours server chips.

Yeah AMD's service is pretty good. I had the fan die on a stock cooler, and opened a ticket on their site. They asked for the model number off the heat sink, the serial from the cpu, and my address, and a new heat sink was on its way the next day. They didn't want the old cooler back either which was nice.

First CPU manufacture RMA review thread I've ever seen. Glad to hear it went good.

Congrats man! I am glad to see AMD take care of their customers so well.

Having to deal with the 939 or so pins on the AM3 cpus are bad, but it is going to be insane when we get the LGA2044 Sandy Bridge processors next year. I have always been afraid of breaking a pin and hope that more processors go towards a pinless design like the current Socket G34 Magny Cours server chips.

Pinless would be nice.

I figured I'd post the process. Their website initially said that they sent out a new 5000+ black. Then it said that they also sent out a 5400+. So they ended up swapping a 5000 for a 5400. Received the new one in about a week and a half. It was a brand new retail box processor. Since it's going in an HTPC it's perfect. Idles at 23c with a Scythe Mini Ninja. Doesn't break 39c at full load. Amd has done fine by me.

Back