My "almost updated" Network; 53KB JPEG done in MS Visio 2002

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
Here it is... I'll update it soon and I'll try to work on the size, too. Sorry guys, today's my 2nd day using Visio for about 20 minutes total time of learning and creating this.

mine.jpg

Whatcha think?

whats with the punchdown block? really needed?

probably ditch that router too and go for something else. NIX box or 2514 or something.

Some real pics would be good too.

You have the typical home network. Glad your layout is to the point and simple. Not like those crazy twists and quadruple turns from a 'linux firewall' to another 'linux firewall' then to the users system where he/she runs ICS for an even larger network behind that. :D

The router is fine. The 66 block is how I do all of my punchdowns. That is just about how all wiring contractors (including the telcos) do it.

SKiTLz said:
whats with the punchdown block? really needed?

probably ditch that router too and go for something else. NIX box or 2514 or something.

Some real pics would be good too.

The punchdown block was the best way to divide the 2 phone lines coming into my house. From the outside, I have 2 wires plugged into the left side of the block and then a bunch of Cat5e to the right side. All Cat5e is then run to each room, so that each room has 2 lines. One of the Cat5e's also goes to the DSL modem as pictured above. Each room also has 1 or 2 data jacks all going to a patch panel (not pictured; like I said, it's "almost updated").

Pics coming soon :D

Back