My Acer XR38" arrived ... but ... is this normal?

KillSwitx

n00b
So, finally got my 38" :) This thing is beautiful and coming from a 32" 1440p monitor i didn't think it would need this much space ... but the fact is that ... it just makes sense! :) I'm pretty much stocked with the monitor.
But I'm having an issue and I don't know if this is normal or not.
In White / Light backgrounds I'm seeing a dark shadow/glow on the top of the monitor ( and if my eyes are not tricking me, I see a little of that same shadow all around the panel... )
Now, is this normal or can be an issue? I don't remember any of my IPS panels doing this, but i never had such a big one neither...
Since this monitor is for work and gaming ... when gaming i don't even notice ... when working, i use white backgrounds all the time ... and this gets really visible :x
IMG_0387.jpg

Looks like a normal amount to me, monitors typically have varying amounts of this, the ones who doesn't have any noticeable amount of uneven backlight / whitepoint balance is fairly uncommon. It's all lottery I'm afraid, you might have better or worse luck with another sample.

My recently bought monitor also had slight amount of darker shade of white at the edges, it can become more or less pronounced depending on brightness level used but I personally also got more used to it with time, now it's not something I take notice of anymore.

Looks like a normal amount to me, monitors typically have varying amounts of this, the ones who doesn't have any noticeable amount of uneven backlight / whitepoint balance is fairly uncommon. It's all lottery I'm afraid, you might have better or worse luck with another sample.

My recently bought monitor also had slight amount of darker shade of white at the edges, it can become more or less pronounced depending on brightness level used but I personally also got more used to it with time, now it's not something I take notice of anymore.

Thank for the feedback :) Yeah, my Omen 32" didn't suffer from this, at least, not to a point i noticed it :) ( or maybe because it was cheaper so my expectations where not that high! ) :)

Thank you for the feedback

Historically the way to avoid brightness anomalies was to buy a monitor aimed toward the professional artist market. Which's why I got a (used) NEC 3090 a half dozen years ago. It's a less appealing option now because pro grade monitors plateaued at around 20ms input lag to give time for preprocessing the display signal to compensate for panel irregularities while gaming IPS pushed closer to 0. And high refresh rates and G/FreeSync are of little value in the pro market so you'd have to give those up too.

Last edited:
Thank for the feedback :) Yeah, my Omen 32" didn't suffer from this, at least, not to a point i noticed it :) ( or maybe because it was cheaper so my expectations where not that high! ) :)

Thank you for the feedback
I had 2 omens that had visible light bleed. All of my is panels have it to some degree.

Back