My A/C Ducting Solution

Damn, cool idea, I have an old mini fridge I want to rip apart and attempt to make a custom phase-change system. Anyone know it its possible to use the main parts from the fridge and make or buy my own water block?

But hey, that's what RMAs are for, right?
No, they are for defective products, and it's this type of RMA abuse that makes companies have more restrictive policies for legitimate returns.

LOAD : Case: 19°C, CPU Socket: 30°C, CPU Diode: 40°C
Ambient case temp drop to 6°C and Idle temps of 24°C
You do realize that without telling us room temp, your numbers are all meaningless?

And ambient generally means room temp, not case temp.

uclajd said:
You do realize that without telling us room temp, your numbers are all meaningless?

am·bi·ent
adj.
Surrounding; encircling: ambient sound; ambient air.

Ambient is an adjective ( " describing word " ) meaning it doesn't just apply to room temperature you dolt, don't try a snide flame at me for no reason.

That being said, ambient room temperature is 22°C, ambient case temperature is 18°C ( according to MBM 5, which I think is off because my DFI was reading much lower case temps )

IDLE : Case: 15°C, CPU: 29°C, Fan 2: 2596RPM ( according to MBM 5 )

I have a ghetto (moving boxes and duct tape) air duct into my waterchill radiator.keeps cpu around 84F while folding... using half of a split AC unit probably about a 1 ton unit
Case temp in the 50's
never had condensation problems, room is pretty dry....

AN7 Mobo
(2500+ mobile clocked 2.6G 2.0V)

Belew said:
I have a ghetto (moving boxes and duct tape) air duct into my waterchill radiator.keeps cpu around 84F while folding... using half of a split AC unit probably about a 1 ton unit
Case temp in the 50's
never had condensation problems, room is pretty dry....

AN7 Mobo
(2500+ mobile clocked 2.6G 2.0V)

Thanks for the info, how hard is it to setup the waterchill?

Only difficult thing was cutting a hole for the radiator, I got the kit with the double fan radiator. its mounted on the outside on the front looks like a ricer intercooler... :D
Otherwise very easy install all the lines push in... came with the anartica cpu block.
pricey kit but It works good...

uclajd said:
Look you smartass little Fing NooB, get a clue (it is so obvious you don't have a clue, yet you cop an attitude of superiority after frying your board. Mr. Expert, LOL) If you had any experience or background in this, you'd know that ambient refers to room temp in this context, Websters notwithstanding.

What a complete asshole. I was not flaming you, but now I will. You don't know what the fuck you are talking about. Ask ANYONE who has been on a tech board for more than 10 minutes (unlike yourself) and they will tell you that ambient is room temp. REGARDLESS, the point is that giving case or CPU temps without room temps is absolutely meaningless.

Now STFU and listen and learn instead of flaming those trying to help you, assface, instead of frying your equipment.

Everyone, this is a perfect example of how NOT to act if you enjoy your posting priveleges on the [H].

uclajd, you need to control yourself. Read the [H] Rules, even though you should already know that this kind of behavior is unacceptable.

Mod - 12435142154 Flamers - 0

I agree with the earlier opinion on the condensation possibly coming from the warmer stagnant air on the other side of the mobo. There is very little space there and virtually no air flow, so the only way that air is going to cool down is through some minimal conduction and convection, but it is likely it will remain above the air temp on the other side of the board.

Granted that most of the mobo will not reach the same temp as the cold air coming in, but it might get close, and it will be significantly lower than the warmer air on the other side. All it takes is a tiny bit of water to connect the wrong two parts of the mobo and *zap*.

Damn, cool idea, I have an old mini fridge I want to rip apart and attempt to make a custom phase-change system. Anyone know it its possible to use the main parts from the fridge and make or buy my own water block?

Generally the compressor and the condensor on a mini fridge are a bit small for a direct die system. You might be able to make a water chiller though.

Jonsey said:
Generally the compressor and the condensor on a mini fridge are a bit small for a direct die system. You might be able to make a water chiller though.

Perhaps your right, however, this is a mini fridge from back in the day when CFC's were ok. The compressor is pretty big compared to some homemader's I've seen at phase-change.com - I'll take some pics tonight.

Chewsmoka said:
Perhaps your right, however, this is a mini fridge from back in the day when CFC's were ok. The compressor is pretty big compared to some homemader's I've seen at phase-change.com - I'll take some pics tonight.

It would still only be capable of pumping a certain amount of heat, enough suitable for a small fridge. The compressor may be larger due to the different refrigerant used, or just because it's older.
However, some people have used fridge compressors by upgrading the condenser cooling fan and providing some cooling for the compressor as well.

Most people don't realize that the average fridge just isn't equipped to remove the heat a processor puts out. A fridge is designed to remove heat from warm food and then keep it cold. A processor generates heat all the time, which a fridge is not designed to remove. Like zer0signal667 said, the condensor is usually the weakest part of a fridge cooling system. They often don't even have a fan on them.

zer0signal667 said:
Everyone, this is a perfect example of how NOT to act if you enjoy your posting priveleges on the [H].
I couldn't agree more. However, please see the context. A noob comes in, asks for advice, then flames an experienced poster. He had it coming. One can't start a flame war, then complain he has been burned (I see no reference to Chewsmoka's post in your chiding).

I am out.

uclajd said:
I couldn't agree more. However, please see the context. A noob comes in, asks for advice, then flames an experienced poster. He had it coming. One can't start a flame war, then complain he has been burned (I see no reference to Chewsmoka's post in your chiding).

I am out.

how are you an experienced poster first of all? anyway this still a way cool idea and i'm glad you tried it just for the hell of it. good job

uclajd said:
I couldn't agree more. However, please see the context. A noob comes in, asks for advice, then flames an experienced poster. He had it coming. One can't start a flame war, then complain he has been burned (I see no reference to Chewsmoka's post in your chiding).I am out.

the context is simple
rise to the bait and your burnt bread ;)

I am sadly disappointed at your lack of creativity
whatever happen to the fine art of sarcasm?
the withering deluge of witty commentary? the rapier wit?
the rhetorical question? :p
are the finer points of expressing your distain unknown to you?
or are you just too lazy to compose them?
Resorting to base insults, is the refuge of the incompetent
Your English teacher failed :p

a serious joke

Chewsmoka said:
Ambient is an adjective ( " describing word " ) meaning it doesn't just apply to room temperature you dolt, don't try a snide flame at me for no reason.

warning above equally applicable, dont pick fights ;)

and BTW in the forum venacular ambient refers to the room temperature, or the temperature surrounding the exterior of the case, if your employing it to describe another measure, it should be explicitly pointed out

there are good reasons why this is so strickly enforced
members need to feel free in asking truely stupid questions,
without fear of being flamed, many members are younger, many with English as a 2nd language, and simply put we dont allow bullies, so play nice

Ice Czar said:
a serious joke

warning above equally applicable, dont pick fights ;)

and BTW in the forum venacular ambient refers to the room temperature, or the temperature surrounding the exterior of the case, if your employing it to describe another measure, it should be explicitly pointed out

I wasn't " picking a fight " I was defending myself from a flame out of left field.

Chewsmoka said:
IDLE : 30°C CPU Core, 25°C Ambient Case Temp ( turned down the a/c a bit )

Isn't that explicit enough? rofl

Chewsmoka said:
I wasn't " picking a fight " I was defending myself from a flame out of left field.

oh

uclajd said:

DOH :eek: How could I have missed that egregious and blatant flame

Im sorry :p :p :p

Uh oh, I see a flame war brewing and I think the mod has some napalm handy....

On another note, it has always been my experience that ambient temp refers to the room temp outside of the case, the mobo temp is used as the inside case temp, and then you have the cpu temp, which cannot be mistaken for anything else. :)

With A/C ON - IDLE : System temp : 19C°, CPU Temp : 29°C, Ambeint Case Temp : 18C° | LOAD : System temp : 28C°, CPU Temp : 50° - 53°, Ambient Case Temp : 27C°. Ambient room temperature with A/C on is 25C° - 32C°. With the A/C off, ( roughly 4 hours a day ) temps jump consiterably... but not to dangerous levels.

http://justintox.servebeer.com:8080/Alex/

The first pic is of my friends PC ( Justintoxicated ) with all the flashy lights/diodes christmas tree style - I prefer functionality over bling bling ( athough he does have a AMD 1700+ T-Bred at 2.4Ghz ).

Here are some more pictures of my new P4 3.0C system installed in my case with the 4" duct w/ 80mm fan attached to the end of the duct that runs into the case almost blowing directly on the HS/Fan for maximum air flow/cooling. If you look close at one of the pictures toward the bottom, you can see my GeForce 2 Ultra modded with an old ThermalTake AMD Athlon Heatsink

The pictures at the bottom are of my mini fridge thats soon to become my next project - Direct Die Phase-Change . I believe the compressor shown is a 1/8 HP with good ol' R12 CFC refrigerant. If the compressor is underpowered, I have a 10,000 BTU A/C that I'm going to be dismantling for my Condenser/Evaporator and probably the compressor as well ( NOT the same A/C unit currently ducted into my PC ). With a little help from my good friend who does HVAC for a living, I hope to have it built within the next 2-3 weeks. In the interum, I'll be making the Direct Die core *hopefully* with the use of another friend's CNC machine . More news as it becomes avalible, and questions, comments, or tips are welcomed.

Peace.
Chewy

On the direct die system you're building: What refrigerant are you using? What length and size capillary tube?

wats the bill like on the ac unit a month? i want to do that but i don't know if i can afford it

I run mine everyday for a couple of hours (in the evening after work) and the cost is negliable, like 10 or 15 bucks a month at most.

Jonsey said:
On the direct die system you're building: What refrigerant are you using? What length and size capillary tube?

Going to following the phase-change.com guides closely, will also be on the forum there asking these types of questions :) I wan't to stick with R12 or R22 since my compressor already is running R12. As far as the capillary tube... haven't gotten that far yet :p

MaMMa said:
wats the bill like on the ac unit a month? i want to do that but i don't know if i can afford it

I live in So Cal, so energy here is triple what it is in some states. I also use a power " suppressor " that reduces the energy used by the A/C. Running it as much as I do ( 14-18 hours a day ) its between 20-30$ a month. I'll take a pic of the power suppressor to show you what I'm talking about.

Peace.
Chewy

Back