• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My 8yo fixed my HDDs

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
6,706
So I get home and my 8yo kid tells me he finally fixed my HDDs.

He took me to his room and I see this.

IMG_20160327_222147209_zpsayy87qn3.jpg


They were a 500GB Sata WD and a seagate IDE 40GB in working condition :)

Anyway I'm proud of him.
 
Hilarious how at age 8 you can already BS your way out of trouble and still get away with tearing interesting things apart for curiosity's sake.

I had a good laugh seeing the pics and his pitch.

You could try some old PSU on it and show him how the platters spin and the heads jump around. He will be either forever immersed in technology OR he'll get a nasty cut.
 
Can't see the picture at work., but this reminds me of the time my dad brought home an old coffee maker when I was about 6.

I took it apart, rewired it, plugged it in and turned it on. All the lights in the house started pulsating and my mom kinda freaked out and said I could have burnt the house down.
 
Can't see the picture at work., but this reminds me of the time my dad brought home an old coffee maker when I was about 6.

I took it apart, rewired it, plugged it in and turned it on. All the lights in the house started pulsating and my mom kinda freaked out and said I could have burnt the house down.

So you're the guy who invented the mobile disco

He also "rewired" some USB cables into an ATX power supply. Fortunately the PS was dead.

That may warrant some scolding. Again, he won't believe you, so just carefully show him how stray charge from the Primary caps can still spark hours after power has gone.

My dad would let me play with all sorts of stuff, like a large gyroscope from a T55 tank, various batteries and light bulbs, but mains AC was off limits.
 
He likes to help me when I'm building rigs giving me tools and stuff, guess its time for him to build his first PC.
 
So I get home and my 8yo kid tells me he finally fixed my HDDs.

He took me to his room and I see this.

IMG_20160327_222147209_zpsayy87qn3.jpg


They were a 500GB Sata WD and a seagate IDE 40GB in working condition :)

Anyway I'm proud of him.
So he used the six sided die to help provide leverage to bend the metal into a sweet ramp for the ATV. Was the Bat spray used to lift the Joker's prints from the crime scene?:ROFLMAO:

I used to do stuff like this all the time. If that were my kid I would be buying him a toolkit and supplying him with endless piles of broken stuff for him to take apart. You've got a future engineer in your household. Congrats!
 
So he used the six sided die to help provide leverage to bend the metal into a sweet ramp for the ATV. Was the Bat spray used to lift the Joker's prints from the crime scene?:ROFLMAO:

I used to do stuff like this all the time. If that were my kid I would be buying him a toolkit and supplying him with endless piles of broken stuff for him to take apart. You've got a future engineer in your household. Congrats!
Yup. Just make sure math doesn't scare him. That was my problem. I wussed out of engineering because math scared me when it really shouldn't have.
 
Yup. Just make sure math doesn't scare him. That was my problem. I wussed out of engineering because math scared me when it really shouldn't have.
Even if math bothers him, his curious and mechanical nature will serve him well.
 
I have tons of stuff he can "fix". Hopefully sooner than later he will actually fix something :D:D
 
Back
Top