my 802.11b linksys wireless network sucks, should I upgrade, or is it fixable?

Prism123

Weaksauce
the network has 3 comps, 1 connected to router and modem, 2 connecetd to usb adapters

basically there are 2 problems.

onw problem is it very often disconnects forcing me to unplug it then replug it. or right clicking it and going into view avaliable networks and telling it to connect(which sometimes doesn't work)

so anyway about the second problem, a while back my dad got a new computer, the network wouldn't work when he switched the modem from my comp to his new one,(it was at mine because his old one was too old to connect to his work, while mine was new enough). The indian tech support guy said to enable the wep so he did.

later my internet which was connecetd with a usb adapter and teh other comp connected with a usb adapter started going really slowly. His comps internet was fine.

I changed the channel and teh interenet was fast again, but then got slow a couplde hours later so I ahve to change the channel every couple of hours.

Should I just convince my dad to chuck this thing and get a 802.11g router, if so by what company.

Or are these problems fixable.

i had hte same problem with my B linksys router - constant disconnects, low throughput, just a shitty router. my new linksys G router kicks a whole lotta ass though, get that

what company though, should I go with linksys again or go with a different company due to my bad experience with the linksys router?

stick with linksys. theyve gotten better over the years, and the g router is a great one, i promise..

hell, now cisco actually puts their name on the linksys stuff :p

One of the best Access points i've ever had was the Linksys WAP11. It was only 802.11b, but it sure had great range. A while back I sold it to someone then went and got a 802.11a/b router from linksys. The range totally sucked comared to the WAP11. Even the Netgear 624 108G router I have right now barely comes close to the old WAP11 in overall range.

Need more power Scotty. Try different antennas. I hooked up a couple of directional antennas to my old B-AP and go signal clear through 6 walls.

Back