• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

my 7900GT overclock blows too

Brahmzy

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Sep 9, 2004
Messages
5,023
I bought one of the new eVGA 7900GT KO "AR" cards. I strapped a VF900 and copper ramsinks on it and the best seetings coolbits will "let" me apply are 575/770 (1540).

I can't go 1 MHz over those settings on either core or mem. It is rock solid and stays extremely cool at those settings (I have NEVER seen any artifacting in 3DMarkXX or Oblivion or F.E.A.R. or anything.)

So if I don't have any artifacting at all, why won't coolbits let me squeeze any more out of this?
 
I'd say that's pretty good you got near Superclock speeds....if your card was capable of more then it would have been tossed into the Superclock bin by EVGA and sold at a higher price. Overclocking past stock speeds is always a crapshoot..
 
I have a 7900GT KO as well and i can get it to clock 591/824 and prolly more with no problems on this stock fan and heatsink. My factory settinsg are 560/755, are you sure you cant go further than that? Thats just weird IMO.
 
I got an eVGA 7900GT KO right before the new ARs came out and coolbits auto detects mine at 550/850 (though i can hit 900 on mem without artifacts)
 
I know my card can do better, but coolbits won't let me go any higher. I can't apply the changes without "Testing" them and when I test them, coolbits says they won't work at those speeds. I wish coolbits let you OC without forcing you to test the settings. GHEYness. I KNOW this card can do better. The thing barely even gets warm after 2 hours of hardcore 3D.
 
my buddies 7900gt 512mb ko does 691/850 with no volt mods , an stock cooling perfectly fine
 
voltage. GIVE IT MORE JUICE CAPAN!

keep in mind overclocking doesnt damage a card, v-modding does. you can overclock a card byond belief and if you handle the heat well, your fine. when you start v-modding the peices service life gets shorter.

that pentium D that was overclocked to 4.0GHz, yeah it would beat eberything out there. but i betcha with it v-modded to 1.9v or w.e the hell it was that it wont last a month.

so yeah, V-mod, but do it as small as possible.

course if you V-mod too much then you can always turn it down. its not like its gonna suddenly blow up on you.
 
It's the new Infineon memory they are using on the new cards. Good stable memory for sure but it doesn't like to overclock much.

Don't blame eVGA, blame nVidia. All of the new batches of 7900 cards are using Infineon from what I hear.
 
Gheyness. So Vmodding only affects the core clock, right?

Got any links with guides/pics to do the 7900GT? Where do I get a conductive pencil?
 
i got one of the first batches of 7900GT's so mine has samsung memory. wonder how that does for OC'ing...

any pencil is conductive since graphite is a decent conductor. using a circuit writer pen from radio shack is better though. i had to order mine off ebay since they're pretty much impossible to get in canada:(
 
TheArchitect said:
...coolbits auto detects mine at 550/850 (though i can hit 900 on mem without artifacts)

The highest mem speed coolbits gives my BFG 7900GT OC w/ v91.33's 816. Does the BFG Card/BIOS limit it there?
 
Sounds like you need to Vmod. I can safely hit 640core, but I stay at 620 with 1.4v
 
Brahmzy said:
I know my card can do better, but coolbits won't let me go any higher. I can't apply the changes without "Testing" them and when I test them, coolbits says they won't work at those speeds. I wish coolbits let you OC without forcing you to test the settings. GHEYness. I KNOW this card can do better. The thing barely even gets warm after 2 hours of hardcore 3D.

that my friend is why you dont use coolbits. i use powerstrip, there are many other, iirc another is rivatunner. both have many features and dont test your over clock. with cool bits my 7800gt was stuck at 490 i use powerstrip and a maze 4 and now run fune at ~560
 
Holy smokes! I just did the 1.5V mod (checked it with Multimeter while running 3DMark05).

I got a HUGE improvement from 1.4V to 1.5V. Remember this is a single eVGA 7900GT KO "AR" with VF-900 and copper memsinks (fan is running 3/4 full(silent))

These are my best OC's (I know there's way better OCs out there, but I'm happy I got an "AR" card this high! Look at the jump between 1.4V & 1.5V!) These are the highest Coolbits would let me set the clocks:

1.2V - (575/1540) 3DMark05 9,990

1.4V - (595/1580) 3DMark05 10,352

1.5V - (650/1680) 3DMark05 11,099

Woot!
 
Why the heck did your memory clock go up? Did you do the vmem mod as well?

Also did you verify that the original voltage was 1.2v while running a 3D application? The eVGA techs have told me repeatedly that the new batches of cards from FlexTronics/nVidia have a 1.4v core voltage in 3D.

Did you happen to notice what memory was on your card when you were doing the heatsink swap? It should be Infineon, but was it 1.2 or 1.4ns memory?

Hmm I need to check the voltages on my 512MB card they just sent me.
 
Jodiuh said:
Does powerstrip still have to stay in memory?

Nope. You can make your clock speed changes and then exit powerstrip. Just be aware that they will revert on the next reboot.

There should be an option to have powerstrip apply the clock changes at startup and then exit, but it's been a couple of years since I used it. :)
 
Blue Falcon said:
There should be an option to have powerstrip apply the clock changes at startup and then exit, but it's been a couple of years since I used it. :)

That sounds familiar.
 
Back
Top