My 5870 is doing something weird.

H4wXx

n00b
So I just installed an ASUS 5870 in my computer but on startup the blower fan pulsates ( as in goes slow, then faster, then slow, then faster) with my DVD drive seeking along with the pulsating for about 4 seconds before my computer posts, which I find quite bizarre and I'm wondering if anyone might have any insight into what might be causing it and if it is a sign that there is a problem.

I had to completely re-assemble my computer because I had to get rid of the riveted in hard drive cage, so that might contribute. But any help would be greatly appreciated :).

Thanks in advance. :D

So I just installed an ASUS 5870 in my computer but on startup the blower fan pulsates ( as in goes slow, then faster, then slow, then faster) with my DVD drive seeking along with the pulsating for about 4 seconds before my computer posts, which I find quite bizarre and I'm wondering if anyone might have any insight into what might be causing it and if it is a sign that there is a problem.

I had to completely re-assemble my computer because I had to get rid of the riveted in hard drive cage, so that might contribute. But any help would be greatly appreciated :).

Thanks in advance. :D
Troubleshoot if you can:
Try your old card in the comp and see if the problem happens.
Try the new card in a different comp and see if the problem happens.
If you can't do either, try booting with NO video card and see if the problem persists.

@450 The card appears to work normally otherwise, my monitor only supports 1680 x 1050 so I can't really stress it out but I am able to max all the games I own.

@Crispy002 I'll try the old card in my computer and see what happens, but I know that with no card it just gives me a series of beeps (probably telling me there is no display device) but no odd spinning of the DVD drive. As for trying it in another computer I'll have to see about that.

Do you mean when it's running sort of warm and then exhausts from like 21% fan to a higher rpm for about 3 seconds? This is normal.

No, I mean like when I push the power button it pulses the fan and DVD drive in tandem for like 6 seconds then beeps and posts.

Try unplugging your DVD drive and see it the videocard's fan still pulsates. But, as long as everything is working correctly in Windows and games, I wouldn't worry too much.

My DVD drive appears to be toast, either that or my IDE cable bit the dust. Don't have a spare to be able to check. I unplugged it though and the fan still pulsates, almost like the card is pumping itself up before the computer actually turns on. The weird thing is that my CPU fan doesn't come on until after the pulsating stops, which I just find plain strange.

Everything works as it should as far as I can tell though (besides my DVD drive), I can max out pretty much any graphically intense game (Empire: Total War, OFP: Dragon Rising, Stalker, etc.) without any negative effects so I'm pretty sure everything is working right.

Still, it's quite puzzling.

Why is the dvd drive even spinning up on post? The only time during the boot strapping it should be active is if you have it set with a higher priority for boot order than a HDD and you've left a DVD inside when you shut down, even then thats later on.

Default behaviour for the card is to run max fan speed while no drivers are running during post to ensure a safe (cool) boot, if it's pulsating then I'd have to take a guess at power fluctuating?

Can you work out if the power for the dvd drive and the cables for the 5870 share the same 12v rail on the PSU?

Why is the dvd drive even spinning up on post? The only time during the boot strapping it should be active is if you have it set with a higher priority for boot order than a HDD and you've left a DVD inside when you shut down, even then thats later on.

Default behaviour for the card is to run max fan speed while no drivers are running during post to ensure a safe (cool) boot, if it's pulsating then I'd have to take a guess at power fluctuating?

Can you work out if the power for the dvd drive and the cables for the 5870 share the same 12v rail on the PSU?

The strange thing is that it runs at max fan speed before it starts pulsating and then again at max fan speed afterwards, both with or without the DVD drive receiving power. I was thinking it might be an issue with power, but the card seems to be running fine, however I will try unplugging my case fans (Running off of two seperate molex connectors on two seperate cables) to see if that might make any difference with the pulsating card fan.

EDIT: As for working out if one of the 12v rails is shared I'm not to sure how, my knowledge with power supplies is limited.

Sounds like the system on boot is simply detecting the card in it's own special way.

Back