My 5.1 headset isn't playing all channels...

Åndhrimnir

Limp Gawd
Hello,

Hoping someone can help me with this issue. I'm new to this many audio channels.

Here's the story:

I recently bought a Tritton gaming headset. It's true 5.1, meaning four speakers in each earcup - front L/R, rear L/R, center and sub (same in each cup, naturally). Its working in games - at least I think so, since it sounds phenomenally good and I can easily hear direction. I've been enjoying it.

However, when I watch videos that DO have 5.1 channels, I can hear everything (I think directionally too) except for the dialog audio. I can hear music, background voices, etcetera, but not the main characters speaking. I've done a bit of googling, and it appears that often these voices are put on the center channel. So it appears that my headset is either playing the other channels properly, or at least playing them downmixed into stereo or something, but no center channel at all.

My audio setup is like this: USB connects my computer to a Creative SB X-Fi card. It's connected through an optical cable (first one I've ever used - cool stuff) the Tritton headphone box, which has some build-in features for sound enhancement and converting stereo music to virtual 5.1. It then goes out a proprietary (looks like a PS2 cable, but bigger) cable to power and deliver signal to the headphones.

The driver software for the Creative card is set to output sound in 5.1 format. There aren't too many settings on the Tritton driver box, and I've toggled them all. The video player (VLC plays normal sounding 2 channel sound, but when I right click -> audio -> audio device -> 5.1, the character voices don't play. The background music is loudest, and the sounds of doors opening and footsteps are in there too. And people talking in the background. But no characters talking.

Any idea where my incorrect setting is? I've opened the audio settings window in VLC but I don't know enough about it to know where to look.

Thanks for any help...

-Andhrimnir

EDIT: Huh, maybe I haven't even been enjoying the fullest of my headset at all. I started the Creative test utility and no matter what setting it's on (5.1, 4.1, 4.0, etc) I can only hear the front left and front right channels in test. All the others are silent. Again, thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Alright, got some more symptoms now.

I tried switching to 1/8" audio cables from the TOSLINK cable, and two things happen: first, only the stereo channels on my sound card even output anything, and second, they output audio bundled with a WHOLE lot of crackly interference.

I've got 5.1 working when the headphones get connected straight to my MB audio, but that sort of defeats the purpose since I can't then use my nicer offboard sound card, or stereo to 5.1 upmixing, or any of the other nice features on either of the discrete boxes.

Any thoughts on how this might be set up wrong? Thanks again to anyone who can help...

Back