My 4790k results

keithallenlaw

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
238
Just finish this build and want to know where I stand.
Details in my sig. I'm kinda let down by the high temps
with a quad Fessor rad with 4 cougar fans. Room temp
is 21c. I should try lower volts? Mind you though this is
only a 20 minute Prime95. 1.250v

original.jpg
 
voltage are perfect, and temps are great.. take into consideration that isn't recommended to use any newer version of prime95 27.9 with haswell chips.. if you are using any newer version then temps are even better..
 
Not quite sure where you are going with your comment but I did
just realize I'm running a 32 bit version 0f P95 v285.

Would like to push to 4800 but dont see a real practical reason to
over the long haul. I would like to try some real world test benching.
LOL...I haven't put this Strix 980 to to the test yet.

Thanks! -keith

voltage are perfect, and temps are great.. take into consideration that isn't recommended to use any newer version of prime95 27.9 with haswell chips.. if you are using any newer version then temps are even better..
 
i just recently had to up my voltage to 1.32

started at 1.27 at 4.7 and found out that plex and sync do not like overclocked cpus .

Everything else on my system , games desktop activity such as browsing copying files etc worked great at 1.27
Could be my OS windows 8.1 has not been re installed in about a year and did a mobo /cpu upgrade
 
Not quite sure where you are going with your comment but I did
just realize I'm running a 32 bit version 0f P95 v285.

Would like to push to 4800 but dont see a real practical reason to
over the long haul. I would like to try some real world test benching.
LOL...I haven't put this Strix 980 to to the test yet.

Thanks! -keith

I highly doubt your system will be stable at 4.8 at any voltage
 
Even the so called cherry chips? Never know until one at least tries.
But realistically, 4.6 is a good long haul setting. I doubt there is any
major speed improvement from 0.2GHz. Thanks. -keith

I highly doubt your system will be stable at 4.8 at any voltage
 
Even the so called cherry chips? Never know until one at least tries.
But realistically, 4.6 is a good long haul setting. I doubt there is any
major speed improvement from 0.2GHz. Thanks. -keith

actually i can notice a difference going from 4.7 to 4.8

I do not even bother with 4.6 that is below my expectations for an overclock
 
I've been running 4.8 since day 1 which was right at release. I think I'm right at about 1.3v or so. Primed stable and has been game stable. Using a silver arrow sb-e with good temps
 
Not quite sure where you are going with your comment but I did just realize I'm running a 32 bit version 0f P95 v285.

Where he is going with his comment is that you shouldn't use the most taxing form of prime available, because "Intel doesn't recommend it".

What he should have said is that haswell chips are so difficult to cool and incredibly poorly-designed for overclocking that overclockers have had to redefine the term "24-hour prime stable", because even with high-end cooling the chips can literally fail and damage themselves on the hottest and newest Prime settings. Even on your great watercooling setup your temps are higher than I'd prefer for year-round usage. This is unacceptable, obviously, and Intel deserves criticism for it.

Instead, apologists like Araxie have started to recommend you use older and less intensive versions of Prime95, in order to move the goalposts and redefine "stable under load" to something haswell can handle.
 
Damn, I feel a bit violated. I should have done my homework on the Haswell.
Only option for an 1150 though. Thanks for posting! -keith

Where he is going with his comment is that you shouldn't use the most taxing form of prime available, because "Intel doesn't recommend it".

What he should have said is that haswell chips are so difficult to cool and incredibly poorly-designed for overclocking that overclockers have had to redefine the term "24-hour prime stable", because even with high-end cooling the chips can literally fail and damage themselves on the hottest and newest Prime settings. Even on your great watercooling setup your temps are higher than I'd prefer for year-round usage. This is unacceptable, obviously, and Intel deserves criticism for it.

Instead, apologists like Araxie have started to recommend you use older and less intensive versions of Prime95, in order to move the goalposts and redefine "stable under load" to something haswell can handle.
 
Back
Top