My 2800+ Barton Temperature is too hot.

I got this processor 2 months ago, and it's been working flawlessly, I had no freezing/crashing issues at all, but yesterday I decided to download Motherboard Monitor and Prime95 to check my CPU's temperature, I ran the torture test for like 15 minutes, and the results at MBM were: CPU temperatre: High: 75C Low: 60C Average: 67C
Isn't this too high for a Barton like mine?
As I said before I am not having stability issues at all, but I am concerned about these results. The Vcore is the stock 1.66V and it's overclocked from 2.08 to 2.26Ghz only, not much of an overclock.
My motherboard is an MSI K7N2-V (nForce 2 400 Chipset)

I have the same mobo (K7N2-L)

I use a barton 2500+ and the temps are ussually closer to 50c under load.. I would double check the heatsink placement and if you didnt buy retail make sure your thermal grease is applied correctly.

Also try downloading the PC ALERT 4 software from msi.. it shouldve come with your mobo but you can download it from http://www.msicomputer.com

Try running that and see what temps it reports for you... Also what kind of temps are in the room where the comp is located? What kind of fans do you have in or on your case?

-Joe

temp probes could just be funny ^_^ i.e. f-d up,lol

If you don't mind spending the extra $$, buy an extra temp probe, probably get one with a LCD for like $10 off of newegg or something.

Also you could ground yourself, and touch the heatsink while ur doing harcore gamin. If it doesn't like burn then it probably not that high.

Rad777

Pray For Death said:
I got this processor 2 months ago, and it's been working flawlessly, I had no freezing/crashing issues at all, but yesterday I decided to download Motherboard Monitor and Prime95 to check my CPU's temperature, I ran the torture test for like 15 minutes, and the results at MBM were: CPU temperatre: High: 75C Low: 60C Average: 67C
As I said before I am not having stability issues at all, but I am concerned about these results. The Vcore is the stock 1.66V and it's overclocked from 2.08 to 2.26Ghz only, not much of an overclock.

I would d/l the latest bios as there have been reports of bad temp readings. I am guessing everything is okay with your processor but definitely get the latest bios and go from there...

Pray For Death said:

Check the following for overheating or perceived overheating:

- Is the heatsink correctly installed ?
--> Verify it is correctly installed.

- Is the heatsink filled with dust and crud ?
--> Clean with compressed air in a can.

- Is the heatsink fan operating ?
--> Replace defective fan with similar or better unit.

- Is the heatsink adequate for that application/CPU ?
--> Verify it meet the requirements for the CPU being used.
--> RETAIL heatsink? May require lapping and better TIM.

- Is thermal interface material used between heatsink and cpu ?
--> Verify it is used, and is applied according to the manufacturers guidelines.

- Is the TIM pad cover removed from heatsink before installation, if using supplied TIM pad ?
--> Remove the cover before installation, failure to do so will insulate the cpu from the heatsink.

- Is there adequate airflow or case ventialation ?
--> Verify airflow, add case fans if required.

- Is the Vcore set higher than specified by the manufacturer ?
--> Verify the Vcore is set to the manufacturers specification in the mainboards bios.

- Is the temperature read via the internal temperature diode. Is the tremperature read via the socket thermistor ?
--> Temperatures read at the diode can and will be higher than an external reading.

- Is the temperature sensor properly calibrated ?
--> Several boards have this problem, check manufacturers bios revision history for calibration fix.

- Outside temperature high ?
--> If the external temperature is high, then the case fans will be drawing in hot air, especially during summer months.

Specs:
http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/assets/con...ssets/K7_Electrical_Specification_Rev_ENG.pdf

Your temp is high, but not at the max, go over the checklist..

MD

those temps are way too high. ok here is what i would do if i were you.

1) look at your temps on mbm5, then restart ur comp and go straight into ur bios and check temps and see if they compare

2) if they do compare, then look into your mbm5 and make sure all your settings right.

3) if your temps are really that high, make sure you have your heatsink on your cpu correctly and make sure you have thermal paste on ur cpu.

4) make sure you dont have too much thermalpaste on ur cpu.

GL

MD_Willington said:
Check the following for overheating or perceived overheating:

- Is the heatsink correctly installed ?
--> Verify it is correctly installed.

- Is the heatsink filled with dust and crud ?
--> Clean with compressed air in a can.

- Is the heatsink fan operating ?
--> Replace defective fan with similar or better unit.

- Is the heatsink adequate for that application/CPU ?
--> Verify it meet the requirements for the CPU being used.
--> RETAIL heatsink? May require lapping and better TIM.

- Is thermal interface material used between heatsink and cpu ?
--> Verify it is used, and is applied according to the manufacturers guidelines.

- Is the TIM pad cover removed from heatsink before installation, if using supplied TIM pad ?
--> Remove the cover before installation, failure to do so will insulate the cpu from the heatsink.

- Is there adequate airflow or case ventialation ?
--> Verify airflow, add case fans if required.

- Is the Vcore set higher than specified by the manufacturer ?
--> Verify the Vcore is set to the manufacturers specification in the mainboards bios.

- Is the temperature read via the internal temperature diode. Is the tremperature read via the socket thermistor ?
--> Temperatures read at the diode can and will be higher than an external reading.

- Is the temperature sensor properly calibrated ?
--> Several boards have this problem, check manufacturers bios revision history for calibration fix.

- Outside temperature high ?
--> If the external temperature is high, then the case fans will be drawing in hot air, especially during summer months.

Specs:
http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/assets/con...ssets/K7_Electrical_Specification_Rev_ENG.pdf

Your temp is high, but not at the max, go over the checklist..

MD

Good checklist, kudos to you! :D

if you can run prime 95 for over 8 hours and it not crash out I would personally not make a big toodoo about it. Those sensors are only a guide. Mine reports a 50+ idle and the CPU will putz out if the temp reaches 70. I set my clock and voltage to make sure it does not surpass that under sustained load.

Is it bad for the chip? dunno I have been running computers like that for 5 or 6 years and the old processors are still chugging along well past their useful lives so I dont particuallary care.

python134r said:
Good checklist, kudos to you! :D

Thanks...

I got tired of typing the same thing over and over in the AMD forums, so I now have a .txt document for the tools that dont search the threads first...

and I have this in my sig:

Never assume you are entitled to an answer. You are not; you aren't, after all, paying for the service. You will earn an answer, if you earn it, by asking a question that is substantial, interesting, and thought-provoking — one that implicitly contributes to the experience of the community rather than merely passively demanding knowledge from others.

Later

MD

Back