My 21" died, need a new one, best 19"/21" monitor for $200-500?

Svperstar

Limp Gawd
Well the ViewSonic G810 Graphics Proffessional finally died on me. Was made in 1997.

I am on a 17" SyncMaster 763 Magic Bright. This thing is .20 pitch and honestly it has a better picture than the ViewSonic did. However I am just dying for more space.

So now I need a new one, Samsung has a .20 dot pitch 21" for $459
Samsung 1100DF-Ivory 21" DynaFlat CRT Monitor
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-001-124&depa=0

They also have a 19" that is a lot less expensive though, $185.99 ,
SAMSUNG SyncMaster 997DF-T/T 19" DynaFlat CRT Monitor
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-001-166&depa=0

Looks like a good one too, I wonder if the extra inches of viewable area is worth another 274 dollars or not, computer is in a small room anyway.

So any other recommendations would be great.

Now that you know just how long a decent CRT can last... maybe a used one? There are tons of off-lease 21" Sony CRTs available. The best "regular" ones (ie- not some crazy expensive "Color reference system" or whatever) are around $300 shipped. Or you can get a really nice NEC 22" for that. Of course, you don't even have to spend that much... perfectly good 21" screens can be had for $200. Or cheap out & get a 3yo 19" for $80-90+S&H.
Of course if you really want to get nuts there's always the 24" Sony GDM-FW900 off of eBay option. Again, it's probably off lease & a bit over 3 years old. You probably can't get a Sony branded one for $500 unless it's got a flaw or two, but the HP, Sun, and SGI models go for less.

"Of course, you don't even have to spend that much... perfectly good 21" screens can be had for $200"

Link?

i'd suggest against the Samsung CRTs. i had one for a week then returned it cause there was stuff that bothered me.....and i still wanted a LCD. Samsung LCDs are kickass but get an NEC or Sony CRT.

Try an EIZO or a Lacie as well. I'm looking for something 19" in my other thread, perhaps it's something you'd like to look at as well.

I have a Viewsonic G220fb 21" CRT Flat screen and its a great monitor. It has nice color and graphics. You can get that monitor for $413 at Dell Home with free shipping, you also can get G810 (it has a curved screen) for $359 free shipping at Dell. I have an older Viewsonic GS815 and it still works good I bought that one in late 2000. :)

Back