• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

My 1st Mini-ITX Build!! (Intel)

ToddW2

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
4,017
Putting together my first small(er), and first ever low power (cpu) system in 10+ years.

Ordered the items I needed today: 4/18/2014

Usage:
Business machine.
- Outlook, FireFox, Dreamweaver, misc biz apps and maybe photoshop from time to time

Goals:

- Cheap, Cheap, Cheap
- Use low power (but not super picky based on price)
- Small/easy to move/easy to hide depending on where it settles
- misc other things like warranty time frame, etc.

Since the original goal was to be cheap cheap, and had no real performance goals in mind other than business usage I had planned on the Intel Pentium G1820 for $49. However, due to reward points the CPU was replaced with the G3420, purchased elsewhere and came in $9 cheaper overall. I was also going to go with the ASROCK H81 ITX Motherboard for $59 but it only came with a 1 year warranty. (I've had issues right after the 1 year mark with motherboards a couple times) I upgraded to the H85m which was $75 but has a 3 year warranty, and substantially more features should this need be built out into a more powerful workstation or even storage system.

I went with G.Skill Ares 2x4gb 1600 1.5v RAM for $69 as I've had good luck with G.Skill in the past on other builds, and the price seemed right (in current times, arghh),


Case: BitFenix Prodigy (White)
I've wanted this case for a while, and figured now was a good time to love it or hate it :D
Fans:
Not sure yet -- might try none, or just an intake... wanting to go silent as possible, Suggestions?

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80PLUS Certified ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply 100-W1-0500-KR

Purchased due to 3 year warranty, and price. Way overkill for this project, and my other spare PSU is in another system. If it doesn't work out I'll go SeaSonic most likely.

Data/Storage:
(1 or 2) Samsung 830 128gb SSD
I have these leftover from another project, and they have less than a handful of gb ever written.
1 Blu-Ray or DVD drive I have sitting around


Parts hopefully will start showing up on Tuesday, and the pictures will start!
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Should I be worried about this Active PFC and my APC non-sinewave backup?
 
I guess Bitfenix builds aren't that inspiring to me. Too easy to fit anything in that giant case.
 
Sorry, I didn't know my build had to inspire people... fail on my part. :p

I like the case because it's not tiny and hard to jam parts in... if that's your idea of fun then so be it ;) oh, I also like the look of it too :)
 
After opening up the case (from the shipping box) it's apparent these case is even bigger than I'd imagined... the width is insane for this small of a case!! Wow. Def. more space than I needed.

PICS coming today, already took a bunch as I got going on it.
 
I still seem to gravitate towards Arctic Cooling PWM fans for relative silence on the cheap. The PWM daisy chaining is also pretty nice. Main complaint is they tend to tick at really low RPM.
 
The Prodigy is a little big for my tastes, but as long as you are happy that is all that matters. :)

I love putting a system together with leftover and cheap parts - it's a lot of fun.

You shouldn't even need a case fan. Just swap out the stock cpu cooler if you want it quieter. I like Noctua or Scythe for quiet fans.

Your actually going to end up with a nice system there. Even though the cpu is not i5/i7 it should be a great performer.

Have fun! :)
 
Last edited:
Wasn't trying to say you had to inspire me or anyone, simply my attempt at explaining why you weren't getting much attention around here. Carry on.
 
Argh, got sick had company... back to wrapping this up today :) It's all assembled, just gotta boot her for the first time and see how it goes.

NOTE: This case is probably 2x as 'long' as it needs to be to still have tons of room!!! Nice room to work, but def. not near as small as I'd pictured and after working on it some it's def not small. Reminds of the older 'mid tower' steel cases from the late 90s.
 
Back
Top