• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

MXM graphics cards = vapor?

yevaud

Gawd
Joined
Jun 24, 2004
Messages
969
Anyone know where I can buy an MXM graphics card alone? I see several OEM's selling MXM compatible notebooks, and some barebones that have the MXM mobos, but alas as far as I can tell, no one sells the cards.

I'd like to build my own laptop, but would like to be able to buy the card separate. G70go is at least 2nd generation MXM form factor, so anyone with the 6800go should be able to upgrade now. Not gonna happen if they can't buy the card, right?
 
Maybe they only sell it as a solder-in to the motherboard to OEMs?

~Adam
 
I don't think MXM was ever meant to be a consumer product, just as a way for big companies (Dell, Clevo) to get upgrades out faster.

Dell has already announced that the iXPS gen. 2 is compatible with the Go 7800GTX and it should be an order-able upgrade.
 
yevaud said:
Anyone know where I can buy an MXM graphics card alone? I see several OEM's selling MXM compatible notebooks, and some barebones that have the MXM mobos, but alas as far as I can tell, no one sells the cards.

I'd like to build my own laptop, but would like to be able to buy the card separate. G70go is at least 2nd generation MXM form factor, so anyone with the 6800go should be able to upgrade now. Not gonna happen if they can't buy the card, right?

coboc.com had MXM cards, but now it's part of abspc.com and they don't have any in stock. maybe later they will though.
 
CleanSlate said:
Maybe they only sell it as a solder-in to the motherboard to OEMs?

~Adam


It's not something that's soldered in. It goes in a slot, much like the mini-pci slots that Intel PRO2200's go in.

My Enpower 611 has a GeForce GO6600 and it works great.
 
There are companies who create just the chips and sell them to large OEMs that aren't on mini-pci-like cards that go in slots, they just get soldered on the mainboard of the laptop, they are non-upgradable graphics cards. Much like Dells that have onboard graphics cards.

~Adam
 
Back
Top