MX518 vs. G400: A worthwhile upgrade?

I3eyond

Gawd
I've always loved the MX518, had several over the years and have never went to another mouse.

Seeing that Logitech has now released the G400, I'm now wondering if it would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Any thoughts?

From the reviews I read, Logitech seemed to have done a good job with it. The form and feel is the same, but made some minor tweaks such as a lighter cord, the logo is harder to "rub" off, a more sleek "non metal dented" look, and an overall more comfortable feel. The G400 seems to be true successor of the legendary MX518.

I wouldnt necessarily say so. The G400 has the same basic shape as the G500 which I did not like in the least. Way too uncomfortable for my style. It was too high so I couldnt rest my wrist right on it at all. And no matter how much I tried, I could never get a comfortable position for my pinky. Took it back after a week and got my Deathadder that I love dearly. Im generally a Logitech fanboy so its hard for me to dis them but I dont like the G500 or G400 at all. Obviously your results may vary by different grip styles.

Are we looking at the same mouse? The G400 is more like the 518 (it's pretty much the same body), not the G500. I went to Amazon and noticed that the 518 is more expensive than the G400!?

Other things users noted:
-better feet
-quieter scroll wheel
-better optical

Ive only seen it at Best Buy and mine doesnt have them out of the case. You can see how its shaped thru the box though and it looked like it resembled the G500 an awful lot. I could be wrong but it looked more like the G500 than the 518 at least in terms of size and shape.

The G400 is identical in shape to the mx518. Most of the internals are also the same, right down to the terrible scrollwheel with its common ghost scrolling issues. The sensor has also been designed to mimic the mx518, including the level of prediction.

If you like the sensor characteristics and shape of the mx518 and you need a new mouse, it's a no brainer. If you game at <120hz and your mx518 is not broken, don't bother.

^ Am in the same boat. Currently have a G5, looking at the G500.

I came to the same realization - if the mouse isn't broken and unless you have a boatload of cash sitting there, then the upgrade may not be worthwhile (unless you really want a different mouse, which you have stated that you do not).

Maybe will consider the one of the next gen ones when this G5 finally dies.

So I decided to pick the G400 up, so far I can't seem to find the perfect DPI/sensitivity settings, so it's a change.

In terms of overall accuracy, I really cannot tell, at least not until I get the sensitivity where I like it....

Just picked one of these up. I have tried so long to find a replacement for my old mx518, but I have discovered after god knows how many mice that I just have big hands and need a mouse with this shape. Seems great so far.

The G400 is typical Logitech quality: Amazing. The grip is top notch, very comfortable. Accuracy is great, especially for sensitive aiming FPS games like CS:GO. I know this is an old thread to bring back, but it's such a good mouse that I wanted to re-affirm how highly I recommend it!

The MX518 to the G400 is a big upgrade, both comfort and performance wise.

Couldn't agree more. Went from an MX 518 to an MS Intellimouse 3.0 after the MX 518 died, and now I am back with the G400. It just fits your hand well although I think I like the shape of the Intellimouse 3.0 more. However, the new optical laser has really good tracking ability.

The G400 is identical in shape to the mx518. Most of the internals are also the same, right down to the terrible scrollwheel with its common ghost scrolling issues. The sensor has also been designed to mimic the mx518, including the level of prediction.

If you like the sensor characteristics and shape of the mx518 and you need a new mouse, it's a no brainer. If you game at <120hz and your mx518 is not broken, don't bother.
I was under the impression that the G400 removed angle-snapping. I may be wrong, but if it did that would be an upgrade IMO. w

hen my 518 dies i'll probably get one, but it seems like theres no reason to seek out a G400 over the 518. I just hope they improved the reliability of the cable connection. I've owned 3 or 4 518's and the first few all crapped out after 1.5-2-ish years from apparent poor cable connections. I expect the current one will do the same. If I didn't like the shape so much I'd probably ditch them since they seem built to fail

Been on my first 518 for 5 years, rubber stuff wore off the grips on the side.only issue I have had with it

I personally like the "dry and sandy" feel of the G400. When playing for a while, if your hand gets sweaty, it seems to allow you to continue to grip the mouse well....

just ordered me a mx518 for $12shipped on ebay :) ive always loved the mx518, fits my big hand perfectly and no strenuous postion/feel.

smooth>dry & sandy that would be an awful feeling to me..

Sorry to bump this old post, but my MX518 is acting wonky. When in an MMO even if I'm holding down RMB it seems to occasionally release it in the game which in PvP is disastrous as my screen stops turning... Has anyone ever had an issue like this? I'm looking into the G400 now.

I prefer the MX518 but I do not know why. I have both and for some reason feel more confy with the 518...

They upgraded the feet on the G400 and the color is definitely cooler. I mean, there are improvements and I am glad they made the G400 because that form factor is the best out there... I

I hate the middle wheel sideway clickly clacky on all new mice.

reasons to upgrade

1) 1000hz out of the box, 125 feels sticky and hidusbf is kinda tedius to use in win7

2) thin very flexible and light cord, feels almost wireless, no resistance at all :)

3) the new sensor achieves VERY high perfect control speeds at 800dpi on almost any mousepad, Lift off Distance is around 2.5mm and angle snapping is DISABLED, so tracking wise it's superior to mx518 or any other avago 3060/3080 mouse

4) rubber finish provides a dry and secure grip

reasons not to upgrade

1) big feet instead of 5 small ones(mx518 rev1 1600dpi version), more contact area usually means slower glide

2) default 1000hz might be unstable on some mobos, so you have to install drivers and set mouse to 500 or lower

3) the 1800dpi setting is interpolated ( lower perfect control speed and more pronounced cursor jitter ) while mx518 v2 has a native 1600dpi setting (avago 3080)

4) thin cable might break easily, causing the mouse to switch on and off by itself

I prefer the thicker cable personally. MX518 has more character but the G400 does look better

Back